• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Mega Thread: Post your lost disc questions and stories here.

I have to post this. Mainly because this is my very first lost disc.:doh: But also because it has a story that goes with it. Not a story of how I lost my disc but what happened after I got home. First, I've only been playing since this Thanksgiving. My intro thread is here if you want to know any more.

Ok boring as it is I'll go ahead and describe how I screwed up and lost my Millenium JLS, then on to the other events. Hole 4 at Harry Myers in Rockwall is a 266 ft par 3 where you tee out of the woods where you just finished number 3, across a clearing and into a simi-circle of trees around the basket (assuming you can throw that far, I can't). There is also a small copse of trees guarding the basket from direct attack. There is also a deep (usually dry) creek and very thick briars and undergrowth all along the right hand side of the fairway.

The wind was howling like a banshee from left to right as I stood on the tee box. Now, here is a tendency I have. When there is fierce wind (as there often is in Texas), I tend to throw my JLS when I should be throwing a mid. The good thing is that it stays low (most of the time) and cuts through the wind. The bad thing is sometimes I don't control it as well as my shorter discs. I've fussed at myself for this and am getting better, but sometimes I cannot fight the temptation. So on this hole I throw my JLS much too hard to control, blow the throw and show the bottom of the disc to the wind.:wall: UP, UP and AWAY!!! (and long for me, about 250 feet I'd guess). I looked for my disc in the dry creek bottom, and all along both banks for about 30 minutes and gave up. I tried to resume playing but my heart was not in the game and I gave up after number 10 and went disc shopping.:D It is important to note here that my discs are inked.

Now, anyone over 30 probably knows who Paul Harvey is. This is "the rest of the story". I was sitting at home when around 7:30 PM I get a text message from an unknown phone number. It simply said: "Hello". To which I replied "Yes?". Then I realized it may be someone texting about my disc and I added "Did you find my disc today?". NO REPLY!

About two hours later I got another text. Here is how the exchange went:

Them:
"I have your disc.. I also have a particular set of skills that's trained me to professionally kid nap disc and keep them captive in disclosed locations.. Don't worry she's safe. If you ever want to see the disc again you will be obligated to pay the price of 1 million dollars.. You have 48 to come up with the cash.. No checks CASH.. Times ticking."

Me (thinking ok I'll play):
"Ok, 1 million dollars it is. One question: will you accept monopoly money?"

Then I got to thinking, shoot I want to know where the disc ended up and why I couldn't find it. So I asked:
"I'm curious as to where it landed. Did it make it across the creek to hole 5 fairway? I was throwing from hole 4 tee box."

Them:
"Idk but I lost it by the line of trees by helping hands"

Confused, I asked:
"You lost it or you found it?"

To which I got no further reply. Now at first I thought this person was jacking with me, thought life has taught me too much for that to be successful on their part. A missing $10 hunk of plastic ain't gonna do it regardless of the circumstance. Then I started to consider the presumed "typo" when they said "disclosed" location instead of undisclosed. Also they said they "lost" the disc there. Any of you who know the Harry Myers course knows that Helping Hands property backs up to the park near hole 12 and 13. So today I went back out to finish the round I started, and to look along the tree line for where the person may have deposited my disc. I did not find it, but it was fun to think about at any rate.

Bottom line is that the person may or may not have been jacking with me. I care not. I choose rather to believe that they decided to sequester my disc instead of keeping it and devised a playful way to tell me where it was. A riddle, as it were. Maybe someone found it before I did, or maybe it was all BS. You decide.

Thanks for reading,
Curtis

What is sad, I would say half of the people that I have played with make no effort to return discs. From people who just keep them, to this guy who told me he would call but if there was no answer, he wouldn't even leave a message, that was all the effort he would do then keep it. that's freakin crazy. I rarely answer my cell phone. While the other half are straight forward, make an effort to get discs back. But half is a huge number of people not returning discs

Yeah, that is sad. I recently spotted two guys searching the creek for their disc. I had been looking for my own disc a little further up the creek. Having failed to find it, I thought I try and help them out, since I had a grabber, and they did not. The older guy said they were looking for a blue disc (mid or putter, I forget). I spotted a blue disc, but it turned out to be a different one, not there's. It was a nice blue Elite Z Avenger with a beautiful discontinued stamp. The older guy had fished it out with my grabber, but said I should keep it, since I had found it; plus I had just lost a driver. The younger guy was drooling over the disc, and really wanted to keep it. I was tempted to let him, but I asked if there was a number on it. He said "barely" and that he couldn't really make it out. I took one look and saw a name and number in two places on the disc (rim and flight plate); easily readable. So I took it home and called the number. A week later the disc and its owner were reunited. But I just know that that other guy would have just kept. If the number had been illegible, I would have gladly kept it myself. In fact I liked it so much that I just bought a similar one on Discaroo.com. But how can you just pretend that you can't read the number!? I don't know how some people live with themselves. :confused:

Also they said they "lost" the disc there. Any of you who know the Harry Myers course knows that Helping Hands property backs up to the park near hole 12 and 13. So today I went back out to finish the round I started, and to look along the tree line for where the person may have deposited my disc. I did not find it, but it was fun to think about at any rate.

That tree line of cedars on hole 12 is known for gobbling up disc. Check up high in the branches. I've had a few of my throws get caught in those dang things. Also check the backside of the tree line in the field sometimes they make it out there as well.

Last week or two, I threw my brand new disc into about knee to thigh deep murky water. I found it, along with three other discs. One disc wasn't stamped, one disc had a legible number and name, and one had a mostly legible name and partially legible number. I kept the unmarked 5/10 innova spider. I called the easy one and guy got his disc back. For the hard one, I emailed the regional disc golf club that matched the area code, and eventually the disc got returned to the owner. The challenge it seems for a lot of people to do, is to do the right thing even when no one is looking. I really liked one of those discs, but eventually got them to their owners.

Fast forward to this week, I was reunited with one of my discs (unfortunately slightly forceably) that someone took from me( several of us were throwing multiple discs in a field for warm up, and someone took one of my disc) that I caught throwing. I will hopefully be reunited shortly with another disc that someone bought at pias, and recognized my name and number. Hopefully this karma will also allow an ace from me.

Played a tournament at the Jim Mozola Memorial course along the bayou in downtown Houston last January. Great tournament, but I lost a champion Orc in the bayou on one hole and a Star Destroyer later on another. I was going to go back and try to fish the discs out but then not 3 days after the tournament we had a massive rainstorm with 4-5 inches of rain. The bayou was at flood stage and my discs are likely in the Gulf of Mexico....

My faith in humanity has been restored today! Got a call about my star teebird I lost 8 months ago at Forked run in Ohio. That was my worst day of dg ever. Lost 3 discs in one day and my wife wouldn't let me go after any of them because we were getting married the next week and she understandably didn't want me to be covered in poison ivy for the wedding. I have since moved to PA, but the guy was willing to mail it to me! Super excited...it was beat in just perfectly!

On the downside, there are still two discs on that course with no calls. So 33% return rate? Sounds about right

Lost my yellow DX leopard with blue text at Black Bear in Hoffman Estates IL. My leopard was beat in, and would straighten out on a slight hyzer. well I threw what I thought would have been a perfect hyzer next to the pond on hole 10, but my leopard straightened out and went into the pond. It may have been a crappy disc, but I loved it. So far my loss ratio is terrible in terms of fairway drivers lost a dx, and champion Idye teebird, and a dx and champion Idye Leopard :( Hopefully I don't lose my Volt.

Lost my yellow DX leopard with blue text at Black Bear in Hoffman Estates IL. My leopard was beat in, and would straighten out on a slight hyzer. well I threw what I thought would have been a perfect hyzer next to the pond on hole 10, but my leopard straightened out and went into the pond. It may have been a crappy disc, but I loved it. So far my loss ratio is terrible in terms of fairway drivers lost a dx, and champion Idye teebird, and a dx and champion Idye Leopard :( Hopefully I don't lose my Volt.
perfect chance to get a pro leopard

Fast forward to this week, I was reunited with one of my discs (unfortunately slightly forceably) that someone took from me( several of us were throwing multiple discs in a field for warm up, and someone took one of my disc) that I caught throwing.

Where was this?

Between my sister and me, we found three DX discs today. 2 mids and a driver. Red, white and blue. No ink. All at Santa Anita Park. If you think one of these might be yours, PM me with the description of your disc.

Lost a beauty of a disc at hole #6 Alex Clark in McKinney, TX on Saturday afternoon. Clear Opto Vision with a sugar skull dye job. While the disc mold doesn't mean much to me, the dye does. Threw the damn thing in the water about pin high. I swam for it for about 45 minutes, froze my butt off and finally gave up. I did find 3 other discs while searching (message me if you think I may have found yours), but didn't find mine. In the event that someone finds it and has the generosity to return it (my number is on it), I'll make it worth your time in plastic. I suspect that I won't see it again; and if that's the case, I hope that person enjoys it.

Last edited:
Nothing like a little DG in the Fall to get most the courses to yourself and stumble upon quite a bit of lost plastic. Just found my 3rd disc in less than a month, all 3 on different courses.

* Circle stamp Gazelle, had multiple owners and no phone #'s. Was able to track down original owner, after finding him on another website and making contact, he told me to keep it. Found at Burchfield Park, beat to heck and inked up pretty good. (since donated to PhillyMatt and his Gazelle collection).

* Found an almost brand new Innova Champion Sidewinder without any markings whatsoever. Only mark was the factory weight/model. Minimal use, no dings/dents, like new. Found on hole #2 not but 10-15 feet from the basket, 2 feet from my drive. (since donated to a fellow DG'er)

* Yesterday found a decent Discraft Flick with custom stamp sitting in the rough. Hard to believe it was lost as it stuck out like a sore thumb, guessing maybe someone threw it and then threw from the rough, but forgot to pick it up before moving along. No contact info, just two initials in old english font.

lost a 167g light blue Destroyer in the big pond in front of the green on hole 3 at Sea Pines Golf Resort. I sent an email to the resort's email but have not heard back yet. I miss it very much and got my best ace with it, so it is precious to me (I know, I should have retired it). My name (Riley Hayes) and number (920.373.0478) are on the back. Reward for anyone who returns it!

Well I did it yet again....I lost another damn Roc. This time I lost my almost perfectly broken in Ontario Roc at Canby Park in Wilmington, Delaware. I lost it on old hole number 2 which throws uphill and over a fallen tree in the middle of the fairway. The leaves were so damn thick that after 15 minutes of 4 guys looking we called it quits. If anyone finds my beloved Ontario Roc please give a call. I miss her so very much.

Arg! I lost my beautiful black cryztal flx zone on Hole 10 of Bellamy Park in Dover NH. All I did was throw a light tomahawk from behind a tree and I never saw it land... The hole is on top of a hill so it could have rolled anywhere and I looked for over 30 minutes before I had to go to work :wall: It's got my name on it, but it's such a nice disc that I imagine it'll be tempting to keep it...:(

just lost a 175 champ boss monday night. Right at dusk....dark disc in my travel bag....dangit.

Lost a clear green Valkyrie in Shelby Forrest yesterday. Name and number on it, beat in to beat the band. Also lost a blizzard tee devil 150 blue at Johnson park a couple of months ago, but hear there are some lepers selling peoples discs. Doubt I will get that back as it was new, but one can hope!

orange gummy champ eagle

San Diego
Kit Carson
About 3-4 weeks ago
Hole 9
My drive landed on the side of a cliffnear a small river.
Forgot to pick it up
Realized this on hole 14
Went back later, gone
They had plenty of time to call me on that day or return it to the pro shop but never did.
Some people suck

Latest posts