• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Love the new Banner

New Banner?

• Love it!

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Like it!

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • Meh.

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Actually, after comparing and contrasting the two, I like the old one best.

Now I wish I hadn't rashly squandered my vote on "meh." :( :|

FWIW, I liked the old banner better, I thought it went better visually with the rest of the site.

I like the old one more. It looks more natural with a light blue sky and baskets that stand out. The new one is washed away in green.

While I love the color green, too much is always too much. Most everything on this site, in it's default CSS, is green. To me, this brings a feeling of "drabness". There isn't enough complimentary color to offset this feeling or create color balance. Green is also on the cool side of the spectrum which brings in some "bleh" psychological effects. Now, the blue gradient outside of the main content container is a little out of place.

Also, since you have a literal interpretation of a landscape with trees and rolling hills, the green in the sky is not natural. It seems odd.

Your brand is also lost now that there is no contast in the "DG" and disc swoosh. At a glance, all you see is "CourseReview" and a ring of gold. I think every element of your logo needs to contrast the background as much as possible.

However, I do like the silhouette approach. This does simplify/modernize the background and make it less "cartoony".

As for the full width header, it can be a little overpowering especially with windows that are drastically wider than main content container. I've stopped doing that in my own designs with static widths. The only time I use them now is when I have a header that is "pinned" to the top of the window allowing for content to have the effect of scrolling under the banner as you move down the page or when there is dynamic scaling when users change the size of their window (so that the content fills the entire window and has no static container).

I do like the idea behind the monochrome background, and even though green isn't natural to represent a sky, I think it needs more contrast. I would probably experiment with your original sky and logo and change the background of the page itself to the green so the header "connects" with the page. This will also help the main content to stand out too.

TL;DR: Meh.

Well, I'll keep messing with it, maybe over the weekend. It seems the biggest issue is the width. Luckily I saved all the old style sheets!

No one else brought this up maybe???
but the logo was moved off to the left... on the old one it looked like the disc in the logo was heading toward the basket on the right and was pretty clever I thought... now I'm not sure everything connects well...

also the outline around the logo is a bit much for my eye.. the old one didn't have much of an outline where it wasn't needed...

I'm a fan of the old for the colors and logo placement

Last edited:
I do like the look. If it means that the width of the site is going to grow as well, I'm thrilled with it. If not, I'd rather see it shrunk down to fit. It just looks odd being so much wider. On my 1280 work monitor, it doesn't look too weird, but on my 24" home monitor it's going to look absolutely silly. There's already more blank space on each side individually on that screen than the content as it is.

What kills it for me are the menu options; if those weren't part of the wider banner, it might not be so obvious.

on the old one it looked like the disc in the logo was heading toward the basket on the right and was pretty clever I thought

It still looks like its heading toward the basket, just not as close as it used to be. I looks like a hyzer (RHBH), anhyzer (LHBH), anhyzer (RHFH) or hyzer (LHFH) in mid flight on it's way to the hole.

Here you go. You're welcome.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DGCR HEader.png
    DGCR HEader.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,387

Latest posts