• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Low fade shallow putter?

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
I've been throwing Novas for a while now and absolutely love the flight pattern especially at very low speeds. When it runs out of juice it floats down like a hovercraft with VERY MINIMAL fade - love it! The only issue I have is that the rim is a little deeper than I would like. Shallow putters seem to feel better but in my experience they need more speed to keep them straight. I'm basically looking for the least fade possible at slow speeds but with shallow rim? Any recommendations? Inside the circle is my primary concern for this one rather than driving.

I tried out a pure today and loved the feel. It's also dead straight with any zip on it but for softer putts inside the circle it faded way more than my Novas...:wall:

A worn in base plastic Pure? Shouldn't take long for the fade to dwindle.

XD comes to mind as well.

I was tossing between the Nova and the XD for quite some time. And it came down to how consistent I was with either. The Nova, though great for straight shots, was too deep for me. I wouldn't always get clean releases.

The XD on the other hand, I never seem to get a bad release. It was so great for touch approaches. I could vary the nose up to get more fade, or I could point it flatter and get more distance with no fade. I switched the XD for the Nova and haven't looked back.

I've been putting the lights out with the Warden from Dynamic Discs recently. Not much fade if any, and no bead. It might be a little deep for your tastes, but I have problems with most other discs getting stuck on my finger, and that doesn't happen with the Warden.

Not sure I have the shallow thing down, but after fooling with a bunch of molds, I am putting great with an APX. I plan on checking out Reefs soon.

All you newbies know nothing of the great XD I honestly think it may be the most underrated putter/disc of all time. :p;)

Not sure I have the shallow thing down, but after fooling with a bunch of molds, I am putting great with an APX. I plan on checking out Reefs soon.

Reefs are a bit larger than APXs, since X plastic shrinks the most. They fly like an APX, though.

Lots of great input - really appreciated - keep'm coming.

Hmmm... I actually have a beat XD at home that used to be my favorite mid but I never really tried putting with it. It was so hard to take out of the bag as it does feel great in the hand and is quite straight as a shorter mid. It was grudgingly removed from the bag to make room for the Tangent as my primary mid/upshot disc. I'll dig it out and see if it can make it back in the bag this time in the putter role.

Again, thanks for all the ideas I'm gonna research all of them.

I haven't thrown one yet, but if the new Gateway Shaman is indeed a smooshed and slightly larger diameter Magic, then it could be perfect. I held one and it felt fantastic, so I'll be grabbing one at some point. (I putt with Pures currently.)

I don't know if I'd include Gateway putters in this conversation. looking at the PDGA spec sheet they are all quite deep rimmed. They range from 1.5cm deep (Magic) to 1.8cm deep (Wizard). the XD is 1.2cm deep, the Pure is 1.4cm, and the Spike is 1.3cm. The Spike or the XD are the best options out there.

I don't know if I'd include Gateway putters in this conversation. looking at the PDGA spec sheet they are all quite deep rimmed. They range from 1.5cm deep (Magic) to 1.8cm deep (Wizard). the XD is 1.2cm deep, the Pure is 1.4cm, and the Spike is 1.3cm. The Spike or the XD are the best options out there.

Check out the Shaman and Chief (retooled) on the list. They're both pretty newly approved and 1.3cm.

Chief = smushed Wizard
Shaman = smushed Magic

Latest posts