• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] low-profile driving/approaching putter for headwind

Zones are pretty beefy for putting but they do make D Zones that would work better for that. Breaker, Ringer and Sinus are all honorable mentions.

Well I got a D Zone, and WOW. So far it seems exactly like what I was looking for.

Haven't had a chance to try it in really windy conditions yet, but I'm already loving it for those shots where you need to keep it on a low straight line and then do a hard fade around an object. Assuming it holds up as well in the wind as it seems like it will, this is definitely staying in my bag.

Now I just hope the D plastic doesn't lose that overstability too quickly...

Been playing a lot more and the D Zone has been used way more than expected. Love love love this disc. When there's a decent amount of wind, I basically use it exclusively for putts and approaches. Perfect amount of overstability, so reliable.

Also picked up an ESP Zone, but that's silly overstable. I've come to the conclusion that it overlaps with my Z Wasp and taken it out of the bag.

This far in and no one has mentioned the Envy?

Well let me be the first. Great disc. Not nearly as OS as a Zone or even a Pig, but has decent fade to it. Will fade into a headwind when new. I recommend Proton, holds up just a little bit better than Neutron, but you can't go wrong either way. More OS than the Pure for sure, but still workable. Will pull out of all but the steepest of annys when given enough height. Great for forehands as well

axiom envies are fine but westside harps are immaculate. i bag both and threw both into 35+ headwinds. the harp held up 100% and the envy turned and burned.

This far in and no one has mentioned the Envy?

Well let me be the first. Great disc. Not nearly as OS as a Zone or even a Pig, but has decent fade to it. Will fade into a headwind when new. I recommend Proton, holds up just a little bit better than Neutron, but you can't go wrong either way. More OS than the Pure for sure, but still workable. Will pull out of all but the steepest of annys when given enough height. Great for forehands as well

pure, envy, and zone are all you need to cover all your putter throwing :thmbup:

I ended up adding JOKERi to compliment my Pures because of the similar feel in hand (and they're easy to get here). Have tried suspect and zone but they felt more like mids, nice discs though.

Update: Still liking the D Zone generally, but it's beating in a lot faster than I'd like. Will be getting a premium plastic Jokeri, since I like my overstable discs in tougher plastic.

Hoping that the premium Jokeri is somewhat similar to a new-ish D Zone...

ESP Zones are my second favorite Zone next to Pro-D. How strong are these headwinds you're facing?

I throw Pures in anything up to 10mph and PA2s above that. It's rare that I face a strong enough wind that a Zone is required.

ESP Zones are my second favorite Zone next to Pro-D. How strong are these headwinds you're facing?

Headwinds are sometimes strong enough where an ESP Zone is fine, but I don't like how the ESP Zone is so ridiculously overstable that it's not useful in calm conditions. Practically starts fading right out of my hand.

Headwinds are sometimes strong enough where an ESP Zone is fine, but I don't like how the ESP Zone is so ridiculously overstable that it's not useful in calm conditions. Practically starts fading right out of my hand.
I agree with this. I LOVE my ESP Zone for all sorts of get out of trouble shots, but overall its a bit too beefy for calm conditions. While it would never replace the Zone, I've been enjoying the Harp lately when I want to put the disc on a straight line, or work a line, with a reliable fade.

The Harp or Suspect should do what you want. Most people seem to think it's not quite as OS as a Zone. It does have a nice hard fade at the end and can stand up to a headwind.

The new proto chief from gateway may fit that slot. Like a wizard, with a much thinner profile and a little less glide. I have found it pretty predictable in a headwind.

... A lot of Zone talk in this thread and I feel obligated to join in haha

A lot of folks use/love the ESP Zone. While it is more readily available than my following suggestion, I can see how it might pose a challenge as a normal duty putter.

I strictly use the CryZtal FLX Zone, and highly recommend it for the OP's application.

The gummier plastic makes it a much more viable putter, and I find it to grab the chains quite well! This disc has SOOOOO much utility it's really not even funny. It's rare that I don't use it on a hole. The low profile and exceptional "hand feel" make it a great putter for my use. For some reason I like putting with it...mainly, I think, because I have so much confidence with it.
I have found that once the CryZtal FLX gets beat in, it has a much more mild over stability to it, when compared to standard Z or ESP. Mind you, it is still very OS. It is a very controllable disc, and works well with all different power levels.

I can give it a light BH wrist flick up around 12-15 ft on an anny line to pop a around a tree/bush in front of the basket and it will turn back over and fall in the chains for one of the shortest flex shots ever haha.

I can power drive it FH or BH and get a nice straight flight for around 175-200ft with a strong fade at the end. The beauty of this plastic, is also the skip control once the fade starts. I can flatten the angle and add snap (RPMs) to get a strong skip/flare (Depending on how hard the ground surface is). Or, I can steepen the angle, and have it simply "Splat!" for a stop-shot landing.

With ESP or Z Zones I have found I can only control how much skip I get, but not eliminate it. They will either skip or cut roll. However, they will produce MORE skip if that is the desired effect, but to prevent carrying two Zones, I simply use my Firebird for shots where I need a huge skip/flare.

I really love my Gator too, but I almost never use it anymore, because my FLX Zone has picked up enough glide to cover 90% of the Gator's work.

I will close with this, concerning the Zone's use as a putter...

It really only matters if you are a spin or spush putter. If you push/pitch putt, just about any disc will behave the same in the absence of spin.
If you are comfortable with a strong spin putt inside 30-40 ft the CryZtal FLX Zone will fly straight anyway. The fade is so predictable, if I'm running at it beyond that distance I just choose a spot to aim where I know the apex will be and let her rip. It will amaze you how it can crash back into the chains. One benefit of that putting approach (especially for long runs) is that, if you miss, you're coming down to the basket and will likely have a short comeback putt. With a glidey putter on a straighter flight, a miss can sail past. Its basically the same philosophy as push/pitch putting, only spinning with an OS putter….

Either way, add a Zone to your bag!! It will change your game!

Someone mentioned the Breaker earlier in the thread and I will again. I had a Zone for a while until I lost it and replaced it with the Breaker. At first I missed the Zone's greater overstability, but I find the Breaker to be enough OS and so much more versatile. For me it flies nice and straight in headwind situations, and is great for short flex shots in light to no winds.

Latest posts