• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

Can anyone tell me how much the bag weighs including packaging? and its packed dimensions?
I want to order one (or two!) through hopshopgo or similar, but want to get a rough idea of the postage cost to the UK first, for which I need to know the weight and dimensions.
Cheers :)

I have the box mine came in sitting at my house. When I get off work I can give you the measurements. Curious thing is, they could have fit 4 more into the box they shipped it in. Not sure why they chose such a large shipping container.

Just got mine in. Will say I'm impressed. This fits in perfectly as my casual rounds bag. Have a helix for my weekend rounds. Pics below. Have 21 in there now with none in the top pocket
j0wiuv.jpg

2ypbukg.jpg

Last edited:
1" is over kill and makes the frame bulky and heavy... That is probably why it felt heavy (that and being loaded down with discs). I used 1/2" and it is plenty sturdy.

1" was a typo, it was half inch.
I imagine it was heavy cuz it was loaded up and had 2 water bottles. It wasnt excessive by any means, just heavier than i thought it was going to be.

He seems to like it still, we will see how it holds up after 10-20 rounds

Just picked up one on my lunch hour. Can't wait to add some mods like a frame and something to keep the putters sticking out up top.

I'm amazed at the quality for 30 bucks. Somebody who knew something about disc golf and disc golf bags designed this thing and selected the materials. It's not a cheap knockoff of a Grip at all.

Very impressed. I was saving for a Grip or Ranger bag, now I can just buy more discs.

Just picked up one on my lunch hour. Can't wait to add some mods like a frame and something to keep the putters sticking out up top.

I was thinking about using one of those metal binder clips to 'cinch up' the extra material of that pocket from the inside in order to do that, but I ended up liking the front putter pocket better.

Wow, I didn't realize you can fit a putter in the SIDE pouches too! The most likely thing to fail, just based on messing with the bag - will probably be a zipper. Lower quality zippers for sure.

Wow, I didn't realize you can fit a putter in the SIDE pouches too! The most likely thing to fail, just based on messing with the bag - will probably be a zipper. Lower quality zippers for sure.

That was my friend and I's impression as well. Zippers are cheap for sure

These are interesting. I might pick one up just to do a video review on. Use it for a few weeks, tossing it around and roughing it up some, see how it does. Could use a second bag for my test disc bag so I don't have to empty out my main bag when I'm doing test vids.

What bags, besides Gorilla Boy and maybe Voodoo, are made in the USA?

My Hyzerbomb bag is.

Just picked up the 1/2" pvc to make the frame for $14.97 at Home Depot ($6.97 of that was on primer and cement because I couldn't find mine) so really ~$8 for the parts. I'm okay with that! I will post pictures later tonight of the bag loaded up with the frame inside it.

Here is the finished product! Ran in to quite a few hiccups along the way, but I got it finished and it works how I wanted it to.
The issues I had were:
Apparently there are different length T's, 45's and 90's. What I mean is that the amount of material at the joint is greater on some. For instance mine had over an inch of material on the female end of the pieces. I don't know what sizes were used in the original build shown, but they seem to be much more compact then what I used. Essentially my T's were 3 inches long, which added quite a bit to the framework. Because of this I actually didn't even use the 3" pieces in the bottom, and my T joints sit flush together on the bottom.
The next issue I had was the length of couplers, and that was just purely my fault. If you have bigger joint pieces like mine, your couplers need to be 2" at least instead of 1". I didn't realize this until after gluing together and trying to stuff in the bag, which brings me to my next point.
The PVC I used appears to be much more rigid than what was pictured earlier, and I could not bend it. Thanks to this and the extra long joints my back pieces are actually just under 13" long instead of 15". And I decided to forgoe the front pieces because I was going to be unable to bend them in place, and I decided that they would probably hamper my ability to remove discs from the bag when it is fully loaded.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I will be playing at least 3 rounds on long courses with uneven terrain and lots of climbing this weekend, so I will get to see how everything stands up.

Let me know if you want more pictures, I'd be happy to post some. Didn't think to take any during the build though, unfortunately.

2014-10-17%2023.21.56.jpg

2014-10-17%2023.23.23.jpg

Last edited:
$11 plus tax at Ace (so you could probably get under $10 at HD or Lowes)

It's made of 1/2 pvc and I used

6 Tees
6 90* Elbows
2 45* Elbows

1 8' Stick of 1/2" water PVC

Cut list:

8-- 1" for coupling
2-- 3" to join the bottom together
3--10" for cross pieces
2--15" for the back (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)
2--14" for the front (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)

15313515910_b0d8aa30fb_c.jpg

15313514390_1ece66e237_c.jpg

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them...

Thanks for taking the time to put this post together :hfive:
I've got the frame built (Not Cemented) and the bag is on the way.
I don't need another bag, but couldn't pass this up.

Got mine a few days ago. This is an (almost) exact grip rip off and I love it! I added a frame and it sits much better now. There is also a sort of secret pocket in the back of the bag that holds at least two more discs if you need more storage. With frame I've got 24 without I can get 26-27. Get one now as an extra.. I've got a feeling this $30 price point won't last forever

I'm hoping for blue, black, orange, or white in the next color line. When would this new line come out?

What exactly does the PVC frame do besides make the bag stand up better? Honestly I feel like that bag stands up just fine on it's own. And I'm playing on mountain courses.

Last edited:
What exactly does the PVC frame do besides make the bag stand up better? Honestly I feel like that bag stands up just fine on it's own. And I'm playing on mountain courses.

The main issue I can see is that it will be flimsy if not completely full, and no dividers or internal rigidity.

The only 3 negatives I can say about it so far is that when picked up by the strap you can tell that there isn't an internal frame and droops inward (17 discs inside). Also, maybe i'm not the smartest person but when I tried to put my small stool where the picture says it's supposed to go, there is a problem that arises. Either it will be too loose and your stool will flop back and forth or tight but will get in the way of the side pocket and you will have to take an extra few seconds to zip open to get your items. The third problem that is sorta nit-picking is the absense of an internal divider, unless fully packed your discs will fall and overlap on each other.

I'm doing it for the rigidity, but also to decrease the amount of discs it can hold as silly as that sounds. I carry about 15ish, and don't want them flopping around in there. I'm thinking i'll be adding a divider to the PVC frame. prly just slip a couple 3/4'' T's over the two 1/2'' bottom rails and bring it up, over, and down. Here are some terrible paint edits to Strives pics:

the blue is the T, red is the pvc, yellow is the 90deg elbows. hopefully it gets my point across. the divider will be 3/4, so the T will just slip right over the 1/2" allowing the divider to freely float back and forth.

Latest posts