• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maine Event?

barrymockies

I'm heading up to Maine in a few weeks and I might have time to play a few courses. Could you guys recommend some of the best ones? And which ones are MUST plays and/or skip-ems (they are overrated)? We will probably be in the Portland/Acadia NP/Bethel and maybe Baxter State Park areas.

Thanks!

The Woodland Valley courses... three 18 hole courses on sight, along with a really nice pro-shop. Not the most difficult courses, even the newest 18 IMO, but still a lot of fun if you like the woods.

I also really enjoyed Squamanagonic which isn't too far South of there in NH.

All of the locations you mentioned are hours away from each other. I'm not sure if you've made the trip yet or not, but here are some suggestions:

DR Disc Golf in Orrington, just outside of Bangor would be on the way to Acadia or Baxter.
Troll Valley in Farminton is more on the way to Bethel. They have camping on site.
There are a lot of courses within 10 minutes of I-95 in central Maine. Quarry Run and Porcupine Ridge in Augusta are both excellent. Acker's Acres in Bowdinham has two excellent courses.
Woodland Valley is a great southern Maine location with multiple courses and a great pro shop.

Sabattus isn't ever far out of the way and you are likely to have your jaw drop at how well it is kept. When I took a friend there for the first time he remarked it was like the Disney World of disc golf. And that was just when we pulled in.

Troll Valley is out of the way but worth every mile and then some.

I think Cranberry Valley is underrated.

Porcupine Ridge beautiful, fun and challenging.

Oh yeah...? What did you shoot? :popcorn:

No internet bravado from me. I threw a 72, par for the course, the only time I got to play it when I was there.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/scorebook.php?vall=1&vcrse=6540&mid=2015&fd=&sd=

And please don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the course. It just seemed like more of the same from the other two courses on site (which isn't a bad thing). Only instead of having to hit your lines to find the "greens" you had to hit similar lines to hit the fairways, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was playing pretty well that day, staying on the fairways.

With a few more rounds on the course, more knowledge of lines, and a few more made putts, I think that shooting 4 or 5 down would definitely be within my reach.

Last edited:
If you're in the Portland area it's not too far to get up to Acker's Acres... two great and very well maintained courses through the woods.

No internet bravado from me. I threw a 72, par for the course, the only time I got to play it when I was there.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/scorebook.php?vall=1&vcrse=6540&mid=2015&fd=&sd=

And please don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the course. It just seemed like more of the same from the other two courses on site (which isn't a bad thing). Only instead of having to hit your lines to find the "greens" you had to hit similar lines to hit the fairways, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was playing pretty well that day, staying on the fairways.

With a few more rounds on the course, more knowledge of lines, and a few more made putts, I think that shooting 4 or 5 down would definitely be within my reach.

Well played. I was totally going to call you out on bull**** but I actually agree with everything you just said :D

More of the same is my only gripe with their courses also.

Well played. I was totally going to call you out on bull**** but I actually agree with everything you just said :D

More of the same is my only gripe with their courses also.

No problem. I really call it the way I see it and that's about it. There's no use stating that I'm better than I am.

If I ever get to play with some more DGCR players, and spouted off on here that I can drive 450' or that I'm at 95% from within the circle, it would be quickly apparent that I was full of crap. I don't even take mulligans when I play solo rounds. I'd only be kidding myself and don't see the point in that.

Anyway, wouldn't it be awesome if you could take the best of the Woodland Valley holes, and have them in one 18 hole loop? :)

I'll probably be up that way again next Summer. Maybe we can get together for a round. Be well.

Latest posts