• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Mako3 or Prodigy M4

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
Looking for a disc that will hold a good anny line without too much turn or a fade out at the end. Between the Mako, mako3, and M4 which does this best? I carry hornets, and buzzes. I want a disc that can be thrown straight with a soft anny and have it hold that even when it slows or is thrown low, (buzz likes to slightly fade out of a slight anny). Almost like I were throwing a lefty buzz if that makes sense. I throw a lot of forehands so I don't need a huge turn, just something to stay on the anny line I put it on.

the mako will hold a smooth anny line as good as any disc and land nice and soft without a cut roll or fade out. the mako3 brand new has a tendency to kind of pull out of some high anny lines but worked for me on those slight low anny lines as good as the mako.

i havent thrown the m4 enough to really compare it, it's less stable so on bigger anny lines or sharper ones it might have more a tendency to cut roll and not land as smooth. it's probably a better disc to shape lines with while the makos will be better discs to hold lines.

Tursas will fade out. Mako all day long for that shot. It holds any line I put it on, and never does anything unpredictable. It's the best disc I've picked up this year, although I've heard bad things about it in the wind.

M4 greatly overlapped my seasoned Z Buzzz so I didn't bag it even though it was a little faster. My new M4 faded a hair on a 300' low line slight hyzer flip where my seasoned Z buzzz would flip to flat and fly stable to 280' with the same power. For reference, my fresher heavy Z buzzz will hold that stable line on a flatish throw into a slight headwind.

Both have a buzzz like feel in hand with the M4 feeling beefy and the Mako a touch smaller IMO.

Last edited:
Don't know my Makos. But I've owned and thrown a ESP Buzz for over a year and it is a great disc. I use it as kind of a utility disc, forehands, overhands, dead straight shots. It was once my fastest, longest and most versatile mid,but I fell in love with the M4. Not only is it longer, it's more controllable, in that it can be thrown at less than full power where the Buzz needs speed to function effectively for me. It IS a bit more under stable than the Buzz out the box. The M4 would be my favorite disc uber-alles if it weren't for it's little brother the PA4. Both the Buzz and the M4 would be worthy additions in my opinion. but if you're making me choose(and you sort of are) I'm going with the M4.

The Buzzz SS feels the same as the regular Buzzz but has the flight characteristics you're looking for...

I do have a Star Mako and an M4 though. I'd say they fly roughly the same. They'll both hold an anny, unless you throw them high. I like the M4 better, purely for the gripper plastic.

Haven't thrown a Mako3 yet, but do throw star Mako, M4, and others for this shot. My goto is a Roc3 for this shot. That said I will keep on topic...

Mako is a line holding disc where the M4 is more of a flex disc (more turn / more fade). The M4 isn't as sensitive to wind or torque, so it it usually better behaved for me.

let's start a drinking game, every time somebody pops in to a thread and says buzzz drink.

I have 180g Champ Mako3 and a 179g M4 in 400 plastic. The Mako3 has a lower speed threshold for turning - easier to turn and will hold an anhyzer better - but that assessment is at my current skill level.

I threw them both on a slightly uphill hole - both landed rather close to each other in distance (around 250 ft). Without a hyzer angle the Mako3 had a bigger turn before fading forward. The M4 was more of a traditional s-turn, slight turn before fading back to centerline. While both discs can hold both hyzer and anhyzer lines, the M4 will fade / flex back harder than Mako3.

But I do love the 400 plastic. Both are in my bags for different reasons. M4 is more of my tunnel mid, while the Mako3 has the anhyzer slot. For now.

The m4 holds any line you put it on. When thrown flat it holds a nice anhyzer all the way to the ground without cut rolling. I can also hyzer flip it for some nice distance. I don't have any experience with the mako tho.

I just went out yesterday to test out the new Atlas, along with a Mako3, M4, Truth, & that Bzzz disc.
M4 has more fade at the end of flight than the Mako3. Both finish harder left than the Atlas, and both will turn ("S" ) in the middle of the flight more than the Atlas ( because of atlas lower shoulder and micro bead i guess) thrown on a higher turnover anhyzer the Atlas held the line to the ground the best, but if you need it to flex flat into a green you might want to stick with M4 or Mako. As expected the truth and Buz hold a line better with more power than the others and had noticeable more fade at the end. I currently play with Meteor, M4, & Buzzz. I wanted to hate on the Atlas with it's silly little rivets, but I must say the flight was very useful

Last edited:
I'd say go Mako3 b/c the M4 is to flippy for this slot. The Mako3 will do exactly what you want out of the box & will stay that way for a long time b/c it's Champ plastic. A Star Mako would work but it would eventually become to understable once you beat it in.

let's start a drinking game, every time somebody pops in to a thread and says buzzz drink.

:hfive::clap::D

I am thinking they both sound good. It seems the m4 overlaps my buzzes less but that the mako3 holds that soft low anny better? Any difference in flight between mako and mako3.

Latest posts