• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill Open

Thanks smashboxx that was awesomely spectacular with a side of epic. Great coverage!

Can't believe I watched that live. Ricky shoulda laid up to force the playoff.

DJBXEcw.gif

Is it bad that I cheered a little when Ricky's disc rolled away?

Live disc golf! Epic finish! Ricky must have been crushed. The DG guy did an amazing job, and AJ was a great addition. Wow!

I hear you oddjob but when you are maybe the 2nd best pressure putter in the world you got to go into a playoff with a ton of confidence.

Can't believe I watched that live. Ricky shoulda laid up to force the playoff.

I was there in person. There was no "foregone" layup that Ricky by-passed. He flicked his approach into the green area (which is surrounded by a wall and OB). He simply threw a bit too hard and it hit off the back wall about 2' high (instead of gently landing on the wood chips) and then it gave him an unlucky roll OB. It was unlucky but his approach shot was slightly off and it cost him.

The layup would have been to throw a putter to the drop zone as a second shot. At least to me, watching from the outside, and with Ricky being almost superman at all disc skills, I would give him an edge in the playoff and wouldn't be afraid to play for the playoff. I watched it as well and I've played their plenty of times. He easily could have got a 4 from where he drove to, and got to a playoff never risking OB. Instead he went for the win, found OB cause he hit the wall, and didn't hit his drop zone chance to force a playoff.

No decision at all to lay up. He threw it a tad hard and got unlucky. He had the tourney to win right there. I would have hammered him if he laid up from 150 feet. He gets that up and down all day, just wasn't his day.

You don't win big events like this by laying up. 'Playing safe' does not add up to 1050+ rated golf.

These are the top players in the world but if they don't take any risks, someone else will and they'll lose.

You don't win big events like this by laying up. 'Playing safe' does not add up to 1050+ rated golf.

These are the top players in the world but if they don't take any risks, someone else will and they'll lose.

Very true, and that's how Jerm won it.

I know with all of the young talent in disc golf the mentality is that he has to go for it and everyone always has to play aggressive. But the fact is by going for it he lost. If he laid up I think he's got a better than even chance of winning.

Sure that shot is usually a better than even shot, likely even better than 75% for Ricky but he had all the pressure in the world on him. By laying up he says to jerm, I think I'm better than you, and puts the pressure back on jerm.

Last edited:
I know with all of the young talent in disc golf the mentality is that he has to go for it and everyone always has to play aggressive. But the fact is by going for it he lost. If he laid up I think he's got a better than even chance of winning.

Yeah, Ricky would have had an advantage in the playoff, his mental game is better than Jerm's, at least under pressure.

I think it's funny that two people already have said"laying up was not an option". Why not? Seems like a fine option considering how going for it turned out.

I think it's funny that two people already have said"laying up was not an option". Why not? Seems like a fine option considering how going for it turned out.

Lol! Yeah because being aggresive totally bit him in the a**

As we all know, DG forces us all to deal with misfortune.
Ricky has had (more than?) his share of misfortune this year (rollaway at DeLa).

OTOH, it's good to see Big Jerm handle the pressure and get a big-time win to match his big-time talent.

Last edited:
^Yep! When I saw Jerm leading going into today I didn't think he would hold on and pull it off because he seems to get in his own way sometimes. Really happy for him and nice to see someone win one beside Ricky/Paul.

Latest posts