• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill Open

Steve Dodge choose to do something different than the standard when it comes to the VO. Seeing as how disc golf tournaments haven't grown that much over the last 15-20 years, I think he should be commended for at least trying something new...even if it doesn't work.

Also if magically there was a way for the course to hold 300 competitors at maple hill, at a $175 entry fee they might still fill the event, even if they only paid 72. Clearly hes doing something right there haha

If I am way off base, then please let me know, but please read my entire post to formulate your opinions. :)

Of course I read your entire post. I just don't want to quote the entire thing and take up half a page.

I think one of the best points you made was about the bottom cards going into the last day. You are correct; they are essentially playing a casual round, because they are virtually assured to only get the flat payout. I understand your idea of spreading the money out over those last places in order to "give them something to play for" so-to-speak. However, I think that a better way to do it would be to payout only the top 60ish spots, and have those people on the last couple of cards on the final day try to fight it out and make a surge to make it into the money.

The reason that the flat payout is necessary near the bottom is simply due to the fact that there is very little outside money coming in to boost payouts.

And I also agree that if the payouts are made known before the start of the tourney, and you still choose to play the tourney, then there is NO reason to gripe about the payouts after the fact.

-Edit: So, to sum up: What Brad said

Last edited:
You know what's a pain in the ass? making change for ties where the difference is $5 or 10 per spot, and 3 people tie... ok, 228.50, 228.50 228.50, 214.75, 214.75, etc etc. by making those last 24 spots $225, he just saved the tournament staff a BUNCH of time. Prewritten checks or cash in envelopes ret to go. Do you really care that 54th made $40 more than 72nd? Does anyone? how much was that last putt worth? $3?

Do you really care that 54th made $40 more than 72nd?

Just because I say it seems wrong that the last 20 spots are all paid the same doesn't mean that it should be changed right away and that it is the worst idea ever. I understand the payout was announced upfront and that people had a choice to get into the tournament. My point is that there is a problem with that as everyone has conceded that it does kind of tone down the competitiveness on the final few cards.

There are usually problems with almost every idea, and that is why we should strive to fix them. I will admit, I don't know how to fix the final payout spots problem without creating more problems. This is where the discussion comes in.

Also, I understand where people only quote part of a post because they don't want to post everything. The problem lies in when people get so far off topic that it isn't really a response to the post. For example, if I said to the quote above, "Yes, because they played better. If you placed better, you should get more money, period" that would be totally taking the essence of that post out of context. I understand what sprintermatt was trying to say, and he made a great point about how hard it is to stagger the bottom of the payout. That quote was more or less emphasizing his point; it wasn't his main point.

Just because I say it seems wrong that the last 20 spots are all paid the same doesn't mean that it should be changed right away and that it is the worst idea ever. I understand the payout was announced upfront and that people had a choice to get into the tournament. My point is that there is a problem with that as everyone has conceded that it does kind of tone down the competitiveness on the final few cards.

There are usually problems with almost every idea, and that is why we should strive to fix them. I will admit, I don't know how to fix the final payout spots problem without creating more problems. This is where the discussion comes in.

Last cash, 72nd place, was 15 strokes away from the next pay level. But that was after shooting his absolute worst round of the weekend on Sunday. He was 9 strokes off his Saturday round. That means he needed to shoot his best round by 6 strokes to move up a level. It's not likely, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. And he had no way of knowing where the scores were going to line up, going into Sunday, I'm sure he felt he had a chance to better his payout by playing well.

The last one or two cards maybe couldn't reasonably expect to improve by more than maybe $20, but after that it scales up pretty quickly. So to say they had nothing to play for is very inaccurate.

And there's another aspect to consider. A course like Maple Hill presents a lot of risk/reward opportunities. The flat payout gives the guys at the bottom some security to really attack the course and play all out. They know they have to take every chance to try to gain strokes and move up to the next pay level, but can do so with the knowledge that they have absolutely nothing to lose.

It makes the "victory round" more fun for the guys playing, and more exciting for the few spectators that are out there for the early rounds.

And there's another aspect to consider. A course like Maple Hill presents a lot of risk/reward opportunities. The flat payout gives the guys at the bottom some security to really attack the course and play all out. They know they have to take every chance to try to gain strokes and move up to the next pay level, but can do so with the knowledge that they have absolutely nothing to lose.

It makes the "victory round" more fun for the guys playing, and more exciting for the few spectators that are out there for the early rounds.

That does make a lot of sense and could present some fun. I was mainly playing into the fact of trying to win your card and that would translate to having a better payout. It may seem odd that you beat someone on your card the final day, but you got the same payout. I know that it isn't in the spirit of disc golf, but playing for money usually changes things, though, and that is why we have this discussion.

Also, thank you sprintermatt, your "Just" post made me actually laugh out loud. I needed that today as I lost my go to distance driver yesterday.

This is ultimately what the MHO is all about. Many people would agree that this is the most fun event on tour.

Sure, there is still intense competition at the top where there's a lot on the line. I can't speak for Steve Dodge, but it seems that his number 1 goal with the MHO (for both pros and ams) is to give everyone the most fun tournament experience he can.

Part of the way he accomplishes that goal is by taking some of the pressure off the guys that just barely make the cut, so they can get more enjoyment out of their final round.

Part of the way he accomplishes that goal is by taking some of the pressure off the guys that just barely make the cut, so they can get more enjoyment out of their final round.

Worked for me. I know I'm not going to keep up with the McBeths and Kolings at this tournament, so for me at that event, making the cut is the goal. The year I did make the cut, I know I felt way more pressure approaching 18's green on Saturday when I knew I was on the cut-bubble than I did Sunday having made the cut. I figured it was do or die and I had to get on the green in two and make my three to make the cut. So I went for it, made it, got my first and only three ever on the hole, then sweated it out for 45 minutes before it was clear I was above the cut line.

The lack of financial "incentive" didn't stop me from throwing my lowest round to date on Sunday though, because the money never crossed my mind. In fact, I think if I'd been motivated because of the money, I'd have probably made things worse for myself. Not that I'd necessarily have played worse, but how I felt about my round might have been different. It's all about perspective. It was a great day. Focusing on the fact that I needed to be three strokes better to win more money would make it seem like a lot less great.

I made the cut one year, then got 11th, then got 8th, then MISSED the cut. Guess which year I had the most fun?

ALL OF THEM. OK, I was a little mopey Saturday night after missing the cut, but I spent all day Sunday taking pics instead of kicking rocks in the parking lot.

They also seem to pay out to more right-handed throwers than left-handed. This happens all the time in every sport.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

DERAILED.png

Did anybody notice that Ricky was forehanding a putter on the upshot on 18 the final day? I thought that was weird considering the angle he needed to hyzer into the green.

Latest posts