• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill Open

Anyone notice the "clubhouse" behind the 18th green appears to be fake?

No idea what thats supposed to mean. If you mean the pro shop to the left (looking up the fairway to the green) then no it is certainly not fake.

Uhhhh. No. As someone who has had the had the privilege of playing there, those are real buildings. The ones marked Maple Hill Farms are part of the Xmas tree business.

Is there any amount of rain that would cause a stoppage of play on Sunday or do they only stop for lightning? Supposed to really pour out today

Lol, not only is the pro shop in there, but upstairs is an awesome game room with 9ft pool table, knock hockey, skeeball, pinball machines, etc and access to the balcony with the best view in disc golf.

seems like we could be more positive as a community as far as it goes. personally im super impressed by the way these bros keep scoring. cant wait to watch the finish. best of luck to all the ballers.

As Steve Dodge mentioned on Friday (re: 2006 MSDGC) ... they'll play in any amount of rain unless there's lightning. I played in it that year, and it rained for the entire second round. Temperature dropped 20 plus degrees and the conditions were brutal. I was on the Pyramids course at the time and players were dropping out like flies.

Lol, not only is the pro shop in there, but upstairs is an awesome game room with 9ft pool table, knock hockey, skeeball, pinball machines, etc and access to the balcony with the best view in disc golf.

All that stuff is actually fake. Also, Steve Dodge is an android.

Was watching the coverage last round. Nice entertainment on the lead card.

Curious, what forehand disc was Ricky using? Man, did it look cool: kind of had a glow look to it with a glow rim and clear center.

Not real impressed with Maple Hill. Too many bad luck/good luck holes/Way to many overly woodsy holes that kill the lighting thus making video coverage more difficult. Yet another reason golf tourneys aren't aired mainstream.

I'd rather watch a tourney at this course than fountain hills. I cant track a disc when thrown on a big hyzer in clear skies. They just disappear.

seems like we could be more positive as a community as far as it goes. personally im super impressed by the way these bros keep scoring. cant wait to watch the finish. best of luck to all the ballers.

Yeah...+ or -

Was watching the coverage last round. Nice entertainment on the lead card.

Curious, what forehand disc was Ricky using? Man, did it look cool: kind of had a glow look to it with a glow rim and clear center.

Not real impressed with Maple Hill. Too many bad luck/good luck holes/Way to many overly woodsy holes that kill the lighting thus making video coverage more difficult. Yet another reason golf tourneys aren't aired mainstream.

I believe according to Terry Miller Ricky's forehand disc is more often than not a DD Felon.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on any course. I love Maple Hill, but I'm biased because 1) I have played the course and 2) I live nearby. By the same token Iron Hill, with many more wooded and tough holes than MH, is loved by many and I absolutely hate it. Enjoy the coverage anyway.

If you're only judging the course solely by the live coverage video, don't. There are definitely limitations with the technology and the multiple layers of processing the video goes through to get to us that erode the picture. If you watch McFly's videos of the women's card, with a much sharper and higher quality picture, the lighting contrasts really aren't the problem they are on the live stream. And if there were "mainstream" coverage on TV rather than online, the picture quality would be closer to McFly than the Youtube live stream.

As to the course, if you asked the players this weekend if there are too many "luck" holes, they'd probably say no. The fairways are there. You just have to hit them. And if you do, you won't find "bad luck". The course is designed to challenge 1020+ rated players (that's what par is set for). If you're not at least 1000 rated, that course is going to kick your ass hard no matter how well you play it. And that's the way it should be for these players. The NT needs more courses/events like this, IMO.

This course is a real beauty and the event that Steve Dodge puts on in second to none. This is a reason why so many pros come to this event and say it is one of the premier events on the NT circuit. All the fairways are easily made. They can be punishing, but this whole notion of luck/bad luck is really not fruitful. If you throw a disc into a tree that is bad luck? If it get a good kick from a tree that is good luck? Really. Luck has nothing to do with it. It is all about facing the elements and the skill that you have to play. Seeing McBeth shoot a 45 on the course a couple of years ago had nothing to do with luck. Pure skill. Plain and simple. This is one of the best designed and maintained courses in the country. Every skill level has a challenging course. It is not like the easier tees are simply closer than the harder ones. If you have never played it, then I say you are simply an arm chair quarterback and don't know what you are talking about. So few courses have such unique holes that make you feel that from each one that you are on a different course. That can't be said of many courses. To win here, you have to play your A game all the time and course management is key. As for the quality of the filming. You can't fault the course for that. None of the filming crew are professional videographers. The cameras and filming devices they are using are really not designed for what they are using them for. The issue is not the course. Someday someone might invest into doing this right, but for now, this is the best we have.

Interesting, I don't see good or bad luck in play here and it's more interesting for me to watch than a hyzer bomb fest tourney course. The more I watch tourney footage of this course, the more I want to plat it. I know it would kick my a$$, but I would like the challenge of it.