• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill Open

Was watching the coverage last round. Nice entertainment on the lead card.

Curious, what forehand disc was Ricky using? Man, did it look cool: kind of had a glow look to it with a glow rim and clear center.

Not real impressed with Maple Hill. Too many bad luck/good luck holes/Way to many overly woodsy holes that kill the lighting thus making video coverage more difficult. Yet another reason golf tourneys aren't aired mainstream.
So you think good courses are based on how easy it is to film? Lol. Of course bad luck/ good luck is possible. It's disc golf, you can't avoid that anywhere. Have you never hit off a tree and either had bad or good luck? After four rounds the winners and losers aren't based off of bad luck/good luck. It sounds like you just don't like trees and would prefer wide open flat courses. I'm not a die hard fan of Maple Hill like some (probably because I've never played it), but it seems impossible not to respect the course and what that tournament has done for the game.

As for the quality of the filming. You can't fault the course for that. None of the filming crew are professional videographers. The cameras and filming devices they are using are really not designed for what they are using them for. The issue is not the course. Someday someone might invest into doing this right, but for now, this is the best we have.

Actually, our cameraman who is getting all of the catch shots is a professional. Joe Hite. Our tee-shot guy is Steve Dodge's brother who works in the airline industry and volunteers because he loves to work with us (and he is free). Both of our cameras that we are using are now professional grade cameras. What it comes down to is the cell signal and cost. If we had more bandwidth, we could push out a better picture quality. And I see that happening in the next few years. By 2020 5G should start being rolled out and data should be cheaper and more ubiquitous.

This week we are going to be spending somewhere between $600-$1000 in data to push out 720p signal at 4.5 megs. I can't imagine what it would cost to push 1080p or even 720p at 8 megs which would greatly improve the signal.

I didn't take anything you said as an insult. I just figured I would clear some things up. We do the best we can and we know our limitations. And if you guys keep watching, we will keep broadcasting.

I have enjoyed the coverage so far. Compared to when live coverage first started to now its greatly improved. Its nice to watch the action as it unfolds. Rather then buying a DVD a few months later.

jvphobic,

The coverage has greatly improved since the skins round that I watched on Wednesday. Kudos on giving us a great way to watch this tourney, and thank you all for your hard work. (When Terry said he stayed up until 0430 on Friday to finish up, it really opened my eyes at the amount of work you guys do!!!)

jvphobic,

The coverage has greatly improved since the skins round that I watched on Wednesday. Kudos on giving us a great way to watch this tourney, and thank you all for your hard work. (When Terry said he stayed up until 0430 on Friday to finish up, it really opened my eyes at the amount of work you guys do!!!)

Thanks. I will say this, Terry staying up late is mostly due to him doing The Disc Golf Guy condensed rounds with AJ Risley. So after watching the entire round for SmashboxxTV, he gets to edit it and do it again. haha. Sucks for him.

Skins is always tough, because when we get to 10-14, the signal goes to crap. We know it, but when you ONLY have 1 card to cover, we can't just cut to a random hole and show you other shots. We suffer through bad signal. It makes our production look hacky, but we are not sure what else to do.

Either way, we are glad you like what we do. And we will continue trying our best for everyone out there. Stay tuned, today will be interesting!

Moot point now, but if signal on 10-14 hasn't improved by next year, maybe a hot spot at the closest point with power access and strong signal. A Wi-Fi repeater on 11's tee with directional antennas linking the two. A good AC router with strong antenna should be able to cover all the way to 11's green from there. Aligning the directional antennas is a PITA but if you can get out and do it ahead of time I'm always impressed by how strong of a signal can be sent over large distances once it's all lined up.

Routers, repeater and directional antennas should all come in under 1k total. Plus maybe a 40k mAh battery pack to run the 11th tee side, but a battery pack like that would be useful in other situations too so it's cost isn't as significant to this process

Jvphobic,
I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate what you guys do. The thing that impresses me with Smashboxx is that you guys never make the same mistake twice and are continually improving and evolving. You and Terry seem to have a true passion for the game and it shows on your broadcasts. Keep up the good work.

Jvphobic,
I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate what you guys do. The thing that impresses me with Smashboxx is that you guys never make the same mistake twice and are continually improving and evolving. You and Terry seem to have a true passion for the game and it shows on your broadcasts. Keep up the good work.

Yes, I second this. ^^^^^ :clap:

I enjoy the Poo out of just about ANY Disc Golf coverage I can get.
I also LOVE watching this Tourney on This course. Also, Super Stoked to see Barsby on the lead card. :D

Watch it here.

I took the opportunity after they went to break on hole 11 to reboot my Chromecast and the link to the stream disappeared from the Youtube app. I was able to find it in my history though. Is that what you mean by Youtube doesn't have it, Halcon?

^Yea, went to the smashboxx channel on YT and it's not there.

Anyway, thanks.

Barsby is leading Ricky by 1, and Paul by 5!!

^Yea, went to the smashboxx channel on YT and it's not there.

Anyway, thanks.

Barsby is leading Ricky by 1, and Paul by 5!!

Ok. Sucks that you couldn't find it, but I do feel reassured that it wasn't just me or my tablet that was messed up.

Should be a fun finish.

Barsby answers Wysocki's 70ft death putt on 14. B and W are battling now. This is Awesome.

I would be SO STOKED to see Barsby take this one!

Barsby is 8 down with four to play, and the best score in the clubhouse for the day is -5 (no one still on the course is better than -3). He is playing insanely good given the conditions.