• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maryland Course Opportunity - Westminster

TimZ

Greetings,

In search of avid disc golfers in or near Carroll County, MD

I have just learned of a dormant, ball golf course in Westminster, MD that is closed and supposedly in the process of becoming a public park for recreational use. The second hand of it is that they are "not sure" what to do with the space!!!

There could be a great course waiting for us there if we could get the interest of the powers that be. I'd be organizing the meeting myself if I still lived there. Moved out west some years ago.

Is there anybody nearby who might be interested to in investigating this lead? I am more than willing to remote assist and I am there about twice a year.

Contact Brian Giggey at Explore Disc Golf. He is a landscape architect and a disc golfer who has designed many courses. I would say he is the most qualified in your area . . . to take on a project of that magnitude. I would offer my own services as a former golf course superintendent, landscape horticultarist, and avid disc golf player and designer . . . but I live 1500 miles away and that probably isn't in the budget . . . if it was I would be all over this!

http://www.explorediscgolf.com/

Bobby Herman is the PDGA state coordinator and has been heading the installation of a public course at Leicester Park in Hampstead and has the contacts in Carroll Co. His email: brontobobby@ gmail. com

Contact Brian Giggey at Explore Disc Golf. He is a landscape architect and a disc golfer who has designed many courses. I would say he is the most qualified in your area . . . to take on a project of that magnitude. I would offer my own services as a former golf course superintendent, landscape horticultarist, and avid disc golf player and designer . . . but I live 1500 miles away and that probably isn't in the budget . . . if it was I would be all over this!

http://www.explorediscgolf.com/

Thanks for passing along our contact, Mike!

TimZ,

We'd love to speak to you and the land owner about the project. We are based in Western Mass, but currently have a project in Maryland and Virginia as well. Our work takes us up and down the East Coast, and we'd love to see about starting another MD project.

Feel free to shoot us an e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks!

Thanks so much, all

There has been some good response from designers, which is great.

Currently am trying to identify someone local who would be interested to engage the city, propose the idea, and get a project started. We haven't had a preliminary conversation yet.

I grew up in Westminster -- which golf course is closing? Odds are, I played it, back in the day. A disc course would be awesome there, for when I go back to visit ;)

I grew up in Westminster -- which golf course is closing? Odds are, I played it, back in the day. A disc course would be awesome there, for when I go back to visit ;)
There is Creeping Creek DGC at the Brewery. Technically it's considered Hampstead, but the course is actually on Westminster, Manchester, and Hampstead property. There's also an unlisted private course in Westminster. And a 9 hole course at Leicester Park in Hampstead that is almost open.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5593

I gotta assume it's Wakefield Valley. I'm pretty sure Wakefield was 27 holes as well so there will be TONS of space, I really hope this happens!

My nephew said the ponds there ain't bad for fishing either.