• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental State: Ratings vs Win?

that is not a shot. I can't do it, so it doesn't really count....

A backhand roller is arguably easier than an air shot. You're looking to complete the shot at a certain landing angle to a spot much closer to you (well, usually - I'm thinking of rollers for shape, obviously you're trying to land pretty far out there for a distance roller). I think most people who think rollers are difficult simply haven't practiced them enough to get a base feel for the shot.

Tell'em, Woj. Also, many players just don't like the "look" to get to learn it. I learned it in one day.

I'm getting there. ;) Slower speed discs now, faster speed discs later.

It has nothing to do with disc speed. I've thrown some of my best rollers with putters and midranges. That classic soft Deputy you throw could be magic (not Gateway) if you give it the chance.

Anybody who can throw a backhand can throw a backhand roller.
See.

Last edited:
What makes you a better player, playing to improve your ratings or playing to win? And as a follow up, how does this decision affect your mental state while playing? :popcorn:

I play much worse when thinking about ratings, or winning.

I play much better when I take each hole and each throw as it's own individual instance.

When I get caught up thinking about what other people are shooting I lose focus of what I personally have to do each time I step up to throw.

Some days I'll have "it" and stay in my own headspace and play really well. Even if I don't win those days, it's still a good feeling. I'm not good enough to really compete for wins outside of a local level. So, my goal is to stay in my lane and play the best round I can each time I step on the course.

Last edited:
Tell'em, Woj. Also, many players just don't like the "look" to get to learn it. I learned it in one day.
I must have such different sensibilities than so many folk... frankly: they "look" really cool. Throwing an awesome roller is just such a completely different looking thing... the "neatness" factor is through the roof for me.

I must have such different sensibilities than so many folk... frankly: they "look" really cool. Throwing an awesome roller is just such a completely different looking thing... the "neatness" factor is through the roof for me.
Avery told me discs are meant to fly.

I think that winning takes an additional mind state than playing good. Winning seldom just rolls along, in a relaxed state ... at least not if you play on the same level with the others. Winning means dealing with pressure. In the case of playing well, it might be more of being in the flow. But of course, if you play well, you're likely to win every once in a while.

It would be interesting to see rating vs. win percentage stats of the top pros and if this tells something about their mental condition.

Well said. Theres plenty of 1020-1030 rated very good golfers that lack that something to win. Guys like Paul, Ricky, Eagle, Calvin, Chris ,
and even Josh Anthon usually play better with pressure. Perhaps I could even add Adam Hammes to that list. They have that something what it takes to win. Then theres the group of like Anthony Barela, Drew Gibson and Austin Hannum, Eric Oakley that have it all in terms of skill set but you can pretty much count them all out when it comes to playing your best when its most needed. Final round time and i dont see any of the guys from the second group holding even a 6-8 stroke lead against 2-3 guys from the first group.

Latest posts