• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Message board distance

I've seen a number of 500' Roc shots....on hole 1 at Waterworks, which drops about 40' :).

I know a guy that claims to throw 490' because he played a course where the tee was on a hill and the basket was on another hill with a deep valley in between. It was only about 350' across the valley but if you could not throw 350', your disc would fall down in the valley and make the hole 490' because the distance of the contour of the land was much further than the straight across distance. He made it across so now he tells everyone he throws 490'.

I wonder how much exaggeration is due to people intentionally stretching the truth vs people being horrible at judging distances.
An example, I was playing with a buddy and having a worse than normal day. Bad to the point were he said, "come on dude, I know I've watched you throw 350'" The thing was I knew from practice on the football field that I hadn't, in fact, broke 300 at that point.
He wasn't trying to blow sunshine up my a$$, he just had an exaggerated idea of what 350' actually looked like.

Now, for the record:
Eagles- 300-325
Cobras-270-300
Aviars & voodoo's-200-250

Yeah my 475' drive was WAAAAY downhill.

I am ecstatic to hit anywhere from 275-300' Most of the time my wife matches my drive...damn girls. :(

The funny thing is she drive 250'-280' normally and her max downhill was 350'...odd huh?

Oh, downhill drives are automatic asterisks. I can do over 400 if it's downhill and clear of trees. Then again, so can anyone else with a half decent throw.

yea we should all be able to tear it up with downhill and appropriate tailwind.

the real question is: how far can you throw in a headwind?

I threw 480' at bowling green this year in the big gun competition. I picked up a little distance this summer so I feel like I could break 500' now but haven't been in distance comp since. On the course its more like 420-430'.

yea we should all be able to tear it up with downhill and appropriate tailwind.

Yeah I can park a 500'+ hole with my wizzard on a calm day. Although I think the elevation might have something to do with that;)

I parked a 375' hole today with my Wizard. Elevated teepad though =/

Tossed about 345' in a ~5mph headwind today on flat ground with a putter. Getting there. Need another 20' to park the hole in question....and keep it straighter next time too :eek:

#3 and #17 shorts at Arboretum, respectively.

Last edited:
I know I've said 400. Yeap, it was a little downhill, and with the wind behind me. But the thing is: this hole is always downhill, and with tailwind half the time.

My consistent long throw is:

Hole 10 at Z-Boaz. Very flat ground. I hit this throw very regularly. I'll bet 80%. It's always with my ESP Nuke.
360.jpg

My longest drives are random discs, and only hit these about 20% of the time, if that:

Hole 4 at Z-Boaz. This throw has about 10-15 feet of downhill grade. The wind is always a factor here. I hit this alot less often... but I do hit it.
409.jpg

My longest measured throw on flat ground...
picture.php

Beat DX Teebird on a hyzer-flip. Disc cam down right under the basket, nearly aced it. I am consistently within 20-30' of the basket on this hole when I don't hit a tree.

Teepad is upper-right of the pic, and basket is at the edge of the shadow of the tree.

I have a google earth verified wind aided 590 throw....which is absolutely preposterous as my typical throws are in the 300-350 range. No one believes me even though I freely admit it was a ridiculous lucky moment that found me throwing a Katana for the first time on a line I never throw with a by chance 5-11 mountain upwind gust to carry it the extra 200+ feet.

I threw an Ion past 300' today, twice. Uh, yeah, take that n00bs. Too bad it was slightly downhill.

I used to have more d than I do now, but I have given up 35 to 50 feet of d to gain on better accuracy. I think the trade off was worth it, because my up shots are ten times stronger than my drives anyway. Now they are just easier.

Latest posts