• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

{Update}

-----2011 Courses-----
--The Edge DGC-- Scottville {20 Holes}
--Big Bend DGC-- White Cloud {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Carly's Playground-- Traverse City {18 Holes} [Mt. Holiday Redesign]
--Diggins Hill-- Cadillac {18 Holes}
--Marion Twp Park-- Howell {18 Holes}
--Ogemaw Hills-- West Branch {18 Holes}
--Superior Pines-- Grand Marais {18 Holes}
--Turbine Pines-- Mackinaw City {18 Holes}
--Hanson Hills (Short Course)-- Grayling {9 Holes}
--Heritage Park-- Grandville {9 Holes}
--Lake Linden-Hubbell DGC-- Lake Linden {9 Holes}
--MCTI DGC-- Plainwell {9 Holes} [Private]
--Rosewood Park DGC-- Jenison {9 Holes}
--Taymouth Park-- Burt {9 Holes}

-----2012 Courses-----
--Stony Creek Metro Park-- Shelby Township {27 Holes} [Redesign]
--Duke Creek-- Cedar Springs {18 Holes}
--Earl Brewer-North-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--Earl Brewer-South-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--Henderson Lake Nature Center-- Montague {18 Holes}
--Brighton Rec. Area-- Howell {15 Holes}
--Wickes Woods-- Saginaw {11 Holes}
--Caro Fairgrounds DGC-- Caro {9 Holes}
--Ira Township Park-- Fair Haven {9 Holes}
--Silver Creek - Chocolay Park-- Harvey {9 Holes} [Redesign]

-----PENDING COURSES-------
--Belle Isle DGC-- Detroit {24 Holes}
--West Shore Community College-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Mt. McSauba-- Charlevoix {19 Holes}
--Wolcott Mill Metropark-- Ray {18-27 Holes}
--Bertha Brock Park-- Ionia {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park (2nd Course)-- Holt {18 Holes}
--East China Park-- East China {18 Holes}
--Grand Isle-- Belmont {18 Holes}
--Herman Community Park-- Suttons Bay {18 Holes}
--Pioneer Trails-- Gladstone {18 Holes}
--Rotary Park-- Livonia {18 Holes}
--Baker's Field Park-- Port Huron {9-18 Holes}
--BC State Rec Area-- Bay City {9-18 Holes}
--Clear Lake State Park-- Atlanta {9-18 Holes}
--Columbus Park-- Columbus {9-18 Holes}
--Independence Green DGC-- Farmington Hills {9-18 Holes}
--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}
--Rosevear Park-- Owosso {9-18 Holes}
--Beverly Park-- Beverly Hills {9 Holes}
--Flaherty Park-- Watervliet {9 Holes}

-----{If anyone has additional info that should be added to the list, please let me know.}-----

Beverly Park: 9 holes, course completed - come play

Beverly Park Pairs well with nearby Starr or Wagner, so plan on playing more than one course if you're driving more than 30 min or so.

In the course designer's own words:
"Very short course in a very popular city park with a lot of activity. The disc golf course will rarely interfere with any of them. The first hole is just west of the tennis, volleyball, and basketball courts and south of the pavilion. The 1st 3 holes play south and then west into the woods. Following the 3rd hole is a short walk south in a very wooded path that opens up to the Beverly toboggan hill. Climb the hill on the right stairs and the 4th hole throws east downward towards the baseball diamonds. The 5th hole is on the south side of the hill then you will climb back up the hill for the 6th tee pad throwing west. After hole 6 is a long walk north back into the woods. Follow the "Next Tee" signs along the way turning left off of the main path along another path taking you to tee pad 7. This hols is half in the woods and half out in the open throwing north towards Beverly Drive. Follow the black rod iron fence east towards tee pad 8. Hole 8 throws back towards the woods from fairway 7. After hole 8 is complete walk east towards the parking lot and to the right of the sand play scape you will find hole 9 throwing east towards the grand stands just south of the pavilion. 3 in the woods, 3 on top or behind the hill, 1 half in / out of the woods, and 2 out in the open. Short but good for your practice game... "

Independence Green

The property is owned by an apartment complex so not quite sure how it works. On a positive note it has some elevation and water holes as well as benches and landscaped well.

Earic02: You proabably already thought of this, but you should probably talk to the folks who run Ponds at Lakeshore - talk to Ben at the Throw Shop: 734-883-4408.

Obviously, different apartment complexes or management companies may have their own take on things, but there may be similarities and the people who made Ponds happen may have found ways to overcome some of the obstacles/objections you might have to deal with.

Earic02: You proabably already thought of this, but you should probably talk to the folks who run Ponds at Lakeshore - talk to Ben at the Throw Shop: 734-883-4408.

Obviously, different apartment complexes or management companies may have their own take on things, but there may be similarities and the people who made Ponds happen may have found ways to overcome some of the obstacles/objections you might have to deal with.

Good advice! Ben knows whats up!

Thanks guys!

I have talked to Ben Calhoun and John Minicucci and they are always of great assistance to me when I have questions / need help with dg related issues.

Edit: Thanks for the reminder to print this article off for them: http://www.mlive.com/sports/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2009/05/disc_golf_course_in_ypsilanti.html

----------------------------------------------------------

Quick update on the course at Independence Green in Farmington Hills:

My meeting last week with a couple of their property management team went extremely well. They are very "for" having the course on property and I'll confidently give the project a 60% chance of success.

Here's the "40%":
They have to meet with some higher-ups this week and get approval for the course, among some other topics. (good timing on my part to have a proposal ready for this meeting)

So....

I'm hopeful of a "thumbs-up" email / phone call within a few days, then I'll post a volunteer day within the next few weeks and get this beautiful course up and running. (once approval and a final layout is agreed upon)

Last edited:
Another quick update on the course at Independence Green in Farmington Hills:

I called my contact today for a quick: "How'd the meeting go last week with the higher-ups?"

Response:
..The "higher ups" liked the idea of the course, but said they (the apartments / property mgt) needed to talk to someone else. (I'm not sure that is..) The apartments are waiting to hear back from that someone else.

Summary: It's looking good for more Farmington Hills disc golf. I'll give it a couple weeks and call back if I don't hear anything.

Since you asked for more info...

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/loca...cle_1d6c390f-ca8f-5e30-892a-792fcbf752b8.html

I rarely come to these forums but saw this thread and thought I would link the above news story. According to the paper, Flaherty Park is supposed to be 18 holes. HOWEVER, the Herald-Palladium is notoriously inaccurate in it's reporting so take that with a grain of salt. I think it is more likely that the park will only be able to handle 9 holes (I've been there before) so I think there is a good chance the article is wrong. If I think of it, I will lob a call to the City of Watervliet and get the real news and post it here. IMHO, with the hills, woods, river and if they got the right designer in there that place has the potential to be a really neat course.

Burchfield Park's new course, "River's Edge" is up and open (and tough!), at least until the CCR Open. They borrowed some baskets from the original course to have it up early.

Flaherty park is definitely going to be 18 according to city hall. Unfortunately, the folks there knew little else. Also as the article i linked to says, they will be done once the MDEQ permit is approved for a floating bridge so I suspect the creek will be a factor on one or more holes. I tried to get information on volunteering to help out but they did not have any info.

The Edge at Scottville has been redesigned and 4 holes added for a total of 24. Once I get distances, etc I will update the course page. Also work has been going steady at WSCC.

Tonight was divisional night in leagues and I had one of the bertha Brock guys on my card, as of now the official opening date is set for Oct 27.
He says they've had a hard time getting people to come out and help :\
They're trying to put together some sort of grand opening thing with drinks and prizes, but these will all have to come from donations.
So if anyone lives out that way feel free to pitch in :D

New courses for SE MI

Course Updates for St. Clair County, MI

picture.php

Ira Twp Park Course's grass IS cut and looking good. If you haven't checked it out yet, get on over there and play both sets of tee's for a round of 18.:clap:

East China Twp Park's Course is starting to take shape. 7 of the 9 holes are almost ready for baskets. Just need a little rain to soften up the ground so we can start digging holes for the pins and signage.:thmbup:

picture.php

I should have info and a new page set up for The Labyrinth @ WSCC soon. It is going to be awesome. Another reason to come to Mason County.

The four year project to pour concrete pads for all tees at Leviathan has started. We will do a 6 hole loop on the mids and shorts this Monday, replacing the rubber mats. Also baskets are in at Labryinth @WSCC.

Flaherty Park in Watervliet should be playable by mid October if not sooner. The city is taking bids for the concrete and the fairways are getting a final clean up at the end of this week. It's shaping up to be a short technical course for the first 6 holes and a bit more open for the last three. Two tee pads per hole. Once it's in I'll post it up with pics. Anyone who lives close and wants to help with the final stages(which includes a fair amount of throwing ;-) shoot me a PM.

Flaherty Park in Watervliet should be playable by mid October if not sooner. The city is taking bids for the concrete and the fairways are getting a final clean up at the end of this week. It's shaping up to be a short technical course for the first 6 holes and a bit more open for the last three. Two tee pads per hole. Once it's in I'll post it up with pics. Anyone who lives close and wants to help with the final stages(which includes a fair amount of throwing ;-) shoot me a PM.

Short? How short is short?

PM coming shortly. I am VERY excited to have a new course around here.

The opening of a fairway....

EndofApril006.jpg
May054.jpg

Summer12315.jpg
Summer12322.jpg

This is from the short tee. The basket will be up the hill and to the right just out of view.

Are they still showing up stacked 4 tall or as 2 side by side? I had re-sized them and now they are showing up big again for me.