• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

DirtyMittenDG I think I talked to you on the phone about two weeks ago. I called about Blizzard Hills and we ended up talking about the whole BC State Rec course fizzling out...

DirtyMittenDG I think I talked to you on the phone about two weeks ago. I called about Blizzard Hills and we ended up talking about the whole BC State Rec course fizzling out...

Naw I don't think that was me you talked to. Unless my memory worse than I thought. lol. You mighta talked to Craig Prime. He's the one I know was/is responsible for the state park course.

I did just now see an article that talks about a little hope for the course in 2013 though. But wouldn't get to excited.

East China Twp Park has everything in and is playable. Just needs a few things cut and cleaned up for a green light by the parks dept.

Thanks for all the work Donny! Way to start filling in one of the disc golf dead zones of michigan. When you think is the grand opening? And is it the township park just north of Marine City?

So close...

Thanks for all the work Donny! Way to start filling in one of the disc golf dead zones of michigan. When you think is the grand opening? And is it the township park just north of Marine City?

picture.php

Well, I was hoping for it to be ready months ago but work, family and the fact that it's 45 min one way from my house kinda dragged it out a little longer. I'll be at the next park meeting so I hope we can give it a walk-thru and green light and offically say it's open.

The only things needed to be done are brush-hogging the tall grass in OB and cutting a few dead trees down for safety issues. When I tried brush-hogging months ago, my tractor with the brushhog was too long for my trailer so DPW will have to do that. They'll have to use chainsaws to cut the dead trees since I'm not authorized to use that kind of equipment at the parks. Disc golf is not exactly the highest priority. People need the DPW for more important things which is understandable. The parks dept and DPW are also understaffed but have been great people to work with.

Hopefully we can get approval for the back-nine this winter. There are still a lot of dead trees in the woods that need attention and that is where 6-7 of the proposed holes will be. There is also budget cuts in 2013 that could delay any future plans in the parks. We'll see what happens.

The township park IS just north of Marine City off River Rd. Winter access will be from the corner of River Rd and Recor Rd at the dog park entrance. It will be a little hike to get to the course from there but you have a ton of room to get warmed up by throwing accross the open (and nicely cut) ball fields to hole one near the Belle River at the SW corner of the park. They might have to pull the baskets for the winter though because idiot snowmobilers sneak into the park when the river is frozen and might plow into the baskets going 100+ mph which would not be good for the TWP or the DG course. If they do sneak in there, I just hope they don't tear-up the course with their studded tracks. :mad:

This is hole #2 at East China Twp Park
picture.php

Don't forget to check out the other course I made at Ira Twp Park about 15 mins away.

Ira Twp Park hole #9
picture.php

Last edited:
DISC GOLF IN DA U.P. ('Eh!!!)

www.facebook.com/discdaup

www.facebook.com/watchitbend

Working on, and 2/3 complete, the new Powder Mill Disc Golf Course in Marquette. CAN YOU VOLUNTEER TO HELP? WE NEED IT! There are rough video walkthroughs, photos, and course map on Disc Da UP facebook page.

Waiting on word for a new 27-36 hole DG park in Esky.

Waiting for info on re-finishing a course in Western Marquette Co.

Finishing a private 9 basket (18 holer) on my property.

Re-finishing Al Quaal in Ishpeming.

Expanding Silver Creek in Harvey (waiting board approval).

Evaluating proposed land in Negaunee.

The Sunnybrook DISC golf course has a permanent home. You will have to call and make a tee time though. If they are running their ball golf league, the course will be closed. $25 for a cart for 18 holes. That's not to shabby, $12.50 a person for 18 with a cart. Or if you prefer to walk I believe it's $7.50, but don't quote me on it.

The Sunnybrook DISC golf course has a permanent home. You will have to call and make a tee time though. If they are running their ball golf league, the course will be closed. $25 for a cart for 18 holes. That's not to shabby, $12.50 a person for 18 with a cart. Or if you prefer to walk I believe it's $7.50, but don't quote me on it.
I called there on Thursday to ask about playing the course over the weekend and more than one person said it's temporary and is only set up for the tournament once a year. I don't know who I talked to. How does Sunnybrook work? Do they put out the baskets only when someone wants to play or what? I'm confused (mainly because the people I talked to when I called).

played bertha brock today and added 60+ photos to the page. holy hell that course is punishing!

I called there on Thursday to ask about playing the course over the weekend and more than one person said it's temporary and is only set up for the tournament once a year. I don't know who I talked to. How does Sunnybrook work? Do they put out the baskets only when someone wants to play or what? I'm confused (mainly because the people I talked to when I called).

It's been used for tournaments for a few years now. This is gonna be a permanent course from what I heard from the people working on it. They have indoor putting leagues there on monday nights during the winter too. I haven't played there yet but it sounds like it shares some of the bolf course which might be why bolf gets higher priority tee-times, but not 100% sure. I think more info is on discgolfscene about it.

It's been used for tournaments for a few years now. This is gonna be a permanent course from what I heard from the people working on it. They have indoor putting leagues there on monday nights during the winter too. I haven't played there yet but it sounds like it shares some of the bolf course which might be why bolf gets higher priority tee-times, but not 100% sure. I think more info is on discgolfscene about it.

I heard the course is permanent now as well. Open through the winter, but no carts when snows on the ground.

{UPDATE}

-----2011 Courses-----
--The Edge DGC-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Big Bend-- White Cloud {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Original-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Carly's Playground-- Traverse City {18 Holes} [Mt. Holiday Redesign]
--Diggins Hill-- Cadillac {18 Holes}
--Hanson Hills (Short Course)-- Grayling {18 Holes}
--Marion Twp Park-- Howell {18 Holes}
--Ogemaw Hills-- West Branch {18 Holes}
--Superior Pines-- Grand Marais {18 Holes}
--Taymouth Park-- Burt {18 Holes}
--Turbine Pines-- Mackinaw City {18 Holes}
--Heritage Park-- Grandville {9 Holes}
--Lake Linden-Hubbell DGC-- Lake Linden {9 Holes}
--Lakewood High School-- Lake Odessa {9 Holes}
--MCTI DGC-- Plainwell {9 Holes}
--Rosewood Park DGC-- Jenison {9 Holes}

-----2012 Courses-----
--Stony Creek Metro Park-- Shelby Township {27 Holes} [Redesign]
--Labyrinth-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Bertha Brock County Park-- Ionia {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Rivers Edge-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Duke Creek-- Cedar Springs {18 Holes}
--Earl Brewer-North-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--Earl Brewer-South-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--East China Township Park-- Marine City {18 Holes}
--Henderson Lake Nature Center-- Montague {18 Holes}
--Sunnybrook-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Herman Park-- Suttons Bay {18 Holes}
--Vicksburg Rec. Area-- Vicksburg {18 Holes}
--Wickes Woods-- Saginaw {18 Holes}
--Brighton Rec. Area-- Howell {15 Holes}
--Beverly Park-- Beverly Hills {9 Holes}
--Caro Fairgrounds DGC-- Caro {9 Holes}
--Cass City Park-- Cass City {9 Holes}
--Dexter Lake Church-- Battle Creek {9 Holes}
--Freeport Park-- Freeport {9 Holes}
--Ira Township Park-- Fair Haven {9 Holes}
--NorthRidge Church-- Plymouth {9 Holes}
--Shelby Road Baptist Church DGC-- Shelby {9 Holes}
--Silver Creek - Chocolay Park-- Harvey {9 Holes} [Redesign]

-----PENDING COURSES-------
--Mt. McSauba-- Charlevoix {19 Holes}
--Wolcott Mill Metropark-- Ray {18-27 Holes}
--Pioneer Trails-- Gladstone {18-24 Holes}
--Belle Isle DGC-- Detroit {18 Holes}
--Deerfield Park [2nd course]-- Mt. Pleasant {18 Holes}
--Grand Isle-- Belmont {18 Holes}
--James Nelson Park-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Powder Mill DGC-- Marquette {18 Holes}
--Rotary Park-- Livonia {18 Holes}
--Baker's Field Park-- Port Huron {9-18 Holes}
--BC State Rec Area-- Bay City {9-18 Holes}
--Clear Lake State Park-- Atlanta {9-18 Holes}
--Columbus Park-- Columbus {9-18 Holes}
--Independence Green DGC-- Farmington Hills {9-18 Holes}
--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}
--Rosevear Park-- Owosso {9-18 Holes}
--Flaherty Park-- Watervliet {9 Holes}

-----{If anyone has additional info that should be added to the list, please let me know.}-----

I PM'd you, I have the details in there.

It is a permanent 18 hole course. It used to be a temporary course only for our tournaments till this past weekend when it's official. Now, since it's still in it's infancy signage is non existent. There is however a pamphlet that has everything laid out and where to go, as well as a scorecard on the backside of it. There is a tournament there this weekend, unsanctioned, here is the site and details: http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Stone_Cold_2012

Any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Wanted to chime in that Deerfield in Mt Pleasant has been approved for another 18 hole course. I believe Craig and Nacho are the designers but I could be mistaken. They hope that it is finished next summer by tournament time.

Update on --Clear Lake State Park-- Atlanta {9-18 Holes}

Clear Lake State Park in Atlanta, MI is really close to putting in teepads and baskets for the 9 Hole Disc Golf Course currently in development. Initial fairway clearing has been done and stakes are currently in place of the teepad areas. DNR Rep. Joe Hall has been reaching out to disc golfers who would like to throw the holes and give some feedback as to the proposed layout before getting finalized with baskets and teepads. If you are interested in helping out by throwing some discs, please contact Joe at 989-785-2359.

Independence Lake just poured concrete tees for the new 6 hole extra loop, will be playable tomorrow (Friday) morning.
I HIGHLY recommend this course. The extra loop is super fun and when all holes are playable the course is definitely going to be close to #1 in Michigan in my opinion. Currently 1-13, A-F, and 17 and 18 are open :)

We set up temp baskets today to test the layout at the old country club in Holland.
The front nine has quite a bit of water in play, we lost 3 discs, and the back nine has some good birdie opps.

Pads are in for all 18 holes, nice 5' x 15', and permanent baskets go in sometime in the spring. All in all its a pretty fun course. It sits on an old ball golf course so they're aren't a lot of trees but creative basket placement combined with several ponds means inaccurate drives will be punished.
The layout needs a little fine tuning but it'll make a nice addition to the area.

We set up temp baskets today to test the layout at the old country club in Holland.
The front nine has quite a bit of water in play, we lost 3 discs, and the back nine has some good birdie opps.

Pads are in for all 18 holes, nice 5' x 15', and permanent baskets go in sometime in the spring. All in all its a pretty fun course. It sits on an old ball golf course so they're aren't a lot of trees but creative basket placement combined with several ponds means inaccurate drives will be punished.
The layout needs a little fine tuning but it'll make a nice addition to the area.

its gotta be better than winstrom... just sayin...
looking forward to this!

Latest posts