• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

The MetroParks have opened their golf courses, (and fishing, boating, kayaking, walking, bike riding, nature trails, fitness trails...) but have chosen to keep the disc golf courses closed.

A personal note of thanks to those who could not act like adults during the stay home order. As a player who plays three days a week, I sure am anxious to play, but will now even wait longer, due to the selfish actions of a few of my fellow players. Please abide by the parks decision to remain closed Playing a closed course will make it harder, for those of us who will have to meet with the parks soon, to get the courses back open.

That sux rocks. We've been fortunate 'round these parts. Not too many course closures. In fact, I heard through the grapevine that Oshtemo has reopened. One complaint I heard from a buddy that plays Shore Acres regularly is what he is running into is a lot of big bored family groups who are definitely not disc golf regulars crowding the course and he suspects this is what might be causing some of the course closures in the area. This is what I worry about really. The regulars I know and am familiar with are fortunately smart enough to play by the rules but I am concerned about these out of town knuckleheads non disc golf types coming over here and disregarding the signage and playing in huge swarming groups.

So yeah, if you find yourself over on this side of the state, Sand Ridge DGC is still open here in Bridgman.

Just in case anyone is in the area...Madeline Bertrand just announced on their FB page they are reopening the park tomorrow. Assuming things go the way I think they will I should be out there for several rounds this Sunday.

Thanks for the updates, Dave. Man, a round or two sounds really nice right now, but I've got too much on my plate currently to fit one in.

Just read this on DG Scene (posted by a credible person) about the courses at Stony Creek.

We opened today and everything is in place.

6' lines have been painted around the baskets and at the tees for "Social Distancing". We are asking for only one person to be at the tee at a time and if you are within the 6' of a basket that it is counted as a "gimme", no need to touch the basket.

We have also worked to remove tables and homemade benches on the course to reduce gathering points. Staff will also be monitoring play to make sure groups are moving through the course and not just hanging out.

Thank you,

Gary Hopp | Stony Creek Metropark Park Manager"

This makes a TON of sense to me.

My gut tells me the other Metroparks will follow suit, but each park is managed somewhat independently, so there's no guarantee that what happens at one will necessarily happen at the others.

Last edited:
Just read this on DG Scene (posted by a credible person) about the courses at Stony Creek.

This makes a TON of sense to me.

My gut tells me the other Metroparks will follow suit, but each park is managed somewhat independently, so there's no guarantee that what happens at one will necessarily happen at the others.

I am pretty sure this is going to be the MetroParks response for all courses. Our club has had a chance to talk to Hudson Mills a couple times and there were discussions for even more stringent measures. Tee times to limit groups was one thing brought up.

Sounds like Rolling Hills and Independence Lakes opened this weekend as well.

I marked Chippewa Trails and "The Jungle" closed due to flooding. (this was an assumption). Please update if not true?

(Warning - incoming rant)

River Park in Benton Harbor....sigh...

Well at least the Township is now paying attention to this course and trying to make 'improvements.' Not trying to toot my own horn but I have 20+ years experience in civil engineering and while I am not technically an engineer I do have a clue about how to fix simple issues like River Park. Does the Township or the course designer listen to someone like me? Naaaaahhhh.

So there are basically three baskets that are in a poorly drained low area - 2, 17 and 18. Myself and many of the locals have suggested MOVING these baskets to higher ground. The play would change of course but not the difficulty. Unfortunately, the baskets are completely and utterly welded together - sleeves and all. This was something I told them when the course was installed was a really bad idea. So to move the baskets means digging up the concrete base and using heavy equipment to lift it up.

They don't want to move the baskets.

So instead, they are going to "build up" the ground where the baskets sit. Dig up the baskets and raise them - which coincidentally is about the same amount of work as just moving the basket. Then fill in the green with dirt until it is high enough to be sorta out of the water/muck. Also, they are going to install (I'm not kidding) check valves on the culverts that lead to the river. They don't even maintain the drainage ditches or ever clean out the culverts there and now they are going to install much higher maintenance check valves.

:doh:

My suggestions were mainly two-fold: Move the three problematic baskets. Cleanout the drainage ditches and culverts - which should be done anyways. But no, they're going to spend copious amounts of money on dubious fixes. I really want to be wrong in my attitude about this but I am afraid I'm not. It's just so frustrating because when this course is dry and if it had tee pads it'd be the best course in Berrien County.

:wall:

Does anyone have any updates on Hickory Hills? Now that it's been split into two courses are both in the ground and playable?

Hey mrclc,

This is a review of the course from June 22nd, taken from DGS. It sounds like the original course is done and only the south course is available.

"Signage could use improving. Without GPS on UDisc, I would have been lost a couple of times. There is now a really LONG walk between baskets 16 and 17, presumably because the ski hill is limiting what the course can do. As it stands right now, the original layout is superior to this latest reincarnation, but we will all have to reserve judgment until the North Course is completed. I hope it's amazing."

Just had a buddy come back from Hickory last week. Said one of the 18 is in and the other is possibly going to go in next year. I think he also said that tees are in as well as signage. Also stated that the course was "awesome."

If I think if it I'll try to pin him down on more details next time I see him.

-Dave

Thanks — you guys are the best! I'll probably wait until the other course goes in before I head up to Traverse. It's basically Myles and Hickory up that way as I understand it, right? I'd like at least one more solid 18 before I road trip it up there.

Thanks — you guys are the best! I'll probably wait until the other course goes in before I head up to Traverse. It's basically Myles and Hickory up that way as I understand it, right? I'd like at least one more solid 18 before I road trip it up there.

Another one? There are two at Kingsley. Original and Bears den. I played original and it was sorta meh. To me though, Myles Kimmerly and Hickory alone would be worth the roady right there but I guess that depends on time and how far you're traveling.

Do not play Dueces Wild. Waste. Of. Time.

Myles & Hickory are pretty legit, 2nd Dave's opinion of worth the trip alone (again, dependent on time/distance).

Love that part of the state. Really liked Hickory (before the redesign) and Myles. I would also suggest Mt McSauba in Charlevoix, but I think it's gone through some changes since I visited.

Latest posts