• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Yeah, I need to see the short tee on hole 1. Somewhere off to the left I imagine.

Somehow I linked a video I didn't intend to, even though it's the correct course. This is the one I meant to link. It shows the distances and pars from long tees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLukjkUWimU

Yeah, I need to see the short tee on hole 1. Somewhere off to the left I imagine.

Somehow I linked a video I didn't intend to, even though it's the correct course. This is the one I meant to link. It shows the distances and pars from long tees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLukjkUWimU

Looks like there is pickleball, an aqua park, bar and food cart, bathhouse and a beach here as well.

I have not played Arvista yet but this course was clearly designed with the intent on having worlds there at some point. If you're a sub 900 player don't bother. Plus I keep hearing that rounds take 4+ hours to finish. That with the $10 fee to get in and that'll be a no from me dawg.

The course is out of my league, as well. But, I will check it out. I am all in on a round, a couple post round cold ones, a jump in the lake and a quick shower to hit the road. I'd shell out 20 buck for that afternoon.

The course is out of my league, as well. But, I will check it out. I am all in on a round, a couple post round cold ones, a jump in the lake and a quick shower to hit the road. I'd shell out 20 buck for that afternoon.

So when are we going?

Probs a good idea to hit such a course in "better weather," huh? ;)

Same!

I have not played Arvista yet but this course was clearly designed with the intent on having worlds there at some point. If you're a sub 900 player don't bother. Plus I keep hearing that rounds take 4+ hours to finish. That with the $10 fee to get in and that'll be a no from me dawg.

What do you think of the idea that it's best to get as much land at a park that is available for disc golf and lock it down and make a monster 18 hole course, with perhaps the idea of shoving in more holes down the road as the course beats in and turning it into a 24/27 holer perhaps even 2 18 holers? That if the land is up for grabs get it, because its only available once and you'll likely not get another chance once it gets turned into a playground/or whatever else?

Not saying that's the intent here at all, I have no idea, but if you're designing a course why not take every square foot they'll give you. Especially if you only have money for 18 baskets/pads...

Last edited:
giphy.gif

What do you think of the idea that it's best to get as much land at a park that is available for disc golf and lock it down and make a monster 18 hole course, with perhaps the idea of shoving in more holes down the road as the course beats in and turning it into a 24/27 holer perhaps even 2 18 holers? That if the land is up for grabs get it, because its only available once and you'll likely not get another chance once it gets turned into a playground/or whatever else?

Not saying that's the intent here at all, I have no idea, but if you're designing a course why not take every square foot they'll give you. Especially if you only have money for 18 baskets/pads...

I've talked to the course designer several times. This is not the case.

well another wish list for lp mi

is it just the drone video or could arvesta use a few moar trees

Finally got out and played Arvesta in South Haven yesterday. Not going to write a review for it just yet because its just so new and there are a lot of changes yet to come apparently. Played the shorts and for a crappy am like me it wasn't horribly difficult. The longs though....yikes. If you can't throw 400+ then don't bother with the longs. That crap just looks like torture for noodle arms like me. Also gotta say I don't think I've ever seen soooooo many elevated baskets on one course ever.

Finally got out and played Arvesta in South Haven yesterday. Not going to write a review for it just yet because its just so new and there are a lot of changes yet to come apparently. Played the shorts and for a crappy am like me it wasn't horribly difficult. The longs though....yikes. If you can't throw 400+ then don't bother with the longs. That crap just looks like torture for noodle arms like me. Also gotta say I don't think I've ever seen soooooo many elevated baskets on one course ever.

Looks like an awesome spread!

The basket on hole 6 looks unfairly high. It seems like if you got up against the base you would have a really hard time making your putt especially for a shorter person.

Looks like an awesome spread!

The basket on hole 6 looks unfairly high. It seems like if you got up against the base you would have a really hard time making your putt especially for a shorter person.

Agreed. However, I did play my round with someone who is sort of "in the know" and there is now a mound all around that stump. So the story is the mound is going to be built up around that stump to make it more reasonable.

Great example of why I didn't list the course here or write a review...

Along this train of thought...the purpose of the longs here are to provide a venue for DGPT type of events. They're apparently even looking at how they're going to handle large crowds to maximize the best spectating experience possible. And as a heads up, one of Sand Ridge's members is going to be running a 3-day, 3 course B Tier (possibly) with Arvesta being one of the three courses in September. I think he's insane but hey, gotta start somewhere I guess. :D

1st hand info:

Independence Green: Baskets are in, and I played all 9 holes. Not sure what happened to #3 tee sign (it was there a few months ago when I played to the marker stakes), but there are 9 Chainstars and 8:)()quality tee signs. Pretty solid disc play. Other than the missing/stolen tee sign, my biggest gripe is there's no good way to get from #4 basket to #5 tee. But its a good 9 holes of golf. Watch for walkers, because the two times I've been out here, a few people were walking around the property.

Palmer Park: I just walked the entire course. Front 9 has red ChainstarPros. Back 9 has OG Chainstars. Most holes have long tees (yellow flags) and short tees (orange flags), with a few sharing a single tee.

Palmer drains like crap, and is currently more swamp than course. Several inches of water in many spots and incredibly spongy. Ground is very uneven, and ankle twisty. Reminds me of the fairways on the RIP'd Belle Isle course. course would be a fun play in summer when it dries up, probably well into fall. But in the spring, it will only be fit for ducks.

Badly needs some sort of decent tee markers and nav aids. Could be a decent course with more work and resources, but it will always have drainage issues.

Plays flat, despite the bumpy, uneven terrain. The lumpiness of the terrain makes me think pulling a cart would be a royal pain here, but in dry conditions, this could be a reasonably fun play, especially for players who like to air it out,but there are more than enough trees to keep players honest.

Not really a course update, but I didn't where else to post this.

Jomez brought their putting game to Ypsi to play the Putting Labyrinth at Rolling Hills. Obviously, this was filmed a while ago (course don't look like that in January), but it only got posted to YouTube recently.

Kudos to the Jomez team for getting different angles in very tight quarters!

Kind of funny to watch those MPO's struggle on the putt putt course. It really is a test of putting different styles of putts to work. Some call for soft nose up, some firm, a sidearm or two and a scoober through the hoop. Knowing the strengths and weakness of those basket types, help determine what putt might be received best. The MPO's just kept sending laser after laser at those baskets. Man, if they could only see that place all lit up and rocking for our Halloween bash.

The Labyrinth is good for seeing what sort of shots work/better worse with which baskets.

That said, pretty sure if I start trying to tailor my putts based on the basket, I'm probably screwing up my routine, and losing some what little consistency I have.

Latest posts