• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Rush Creek park in Georgetown township or Hudsonville has been redesigned and lengthened.

First tee by entrance to park towards pine trees behind tennis courts on right.

second hole near fence line towards path tucked in by trees where old hole 5 was.

3rd hole goes back towards the woods behind the tennis courts.

follow path to the 4th tee Fairway is in the woods across the path basket tucked in behind trees on left.

5th tee is other side of path towards creek. Fairway plays down pathway and all the way across the wide open field. would estimate it around at least 700 feet or so.

6 hole goes pretty straight. right now there are a lot of ruts from the tire tracks of the equipment used to clear fairway.

7th tee tucked into woods by parkling lot by tennis courts. basket is towards soccer field on the other side of park near the the path they are making that i think connects the park to port sheldon. Road can come into play.

8 tee is other side of road basket is located towards the ballfield near the entrance to the park.

9 tee is third base side of backstop aiming back towards the pavilion on the other side of the park.

Tee boards are in for each hole. Baskets currently do not have the correct hole number on the as of yet. Two red flags near tee boards to help locate the new locations of the tees.

This is no longer a pitch and putt course you will need some distance on a few holes to get to the basket.
:thmbup::clap:

Haven't played this course, but your description makes it sound like a poor, slightly dangerous design:

First tee by entrance to park towards pine trees behind tennis courts on right

second hole near fence line towards path

Fairway plays down pathway a

7th tee tucked into woods by parkling lot by tennis courts. basket is towards soccer field on the other side of park near the the path they are making that i think connects the park to port sheldon. Road can come into play.

9 tee is third base side of backstop aiming back towards the pavilion

it really isn't as bad as it sounds. was just trying to give general descriptions as to where to locate the the baskets. as far as park traffic is concerned. the road shouldn't be too much trouble since every time i have been there the most cars i have seen in the park were 5 cars. the basket is far enough away from the pavilion to be perfectly safe. it was merely a direction as to where to look for the basket. the old layout when playing hole 3 if you shanked your drive hard right you could actually ace hole 1 basket. most holes were under 250 feet. on hole 8 the tee was only 15 feet from 7's basket. so the new layout is actually a whole lot better then before. it took me a few minutes to find each basket from where the new pad was. the hardest was hole 5. found the start of the hole. it started near where old 7 did but had to keep walking and walking trying to locate the basket. finally got a glimpse of a basket a long ways off behind some trees. after i found the basket i walked to the next tee to make sure the number on the tee board was the next hole and it was. the only people i have actually seen in the park are usually walking their dogs and they do that no where near any of the holes. it is a small local park that is tucked away. you have to go down at least 4 roads to get to it from the main road. I never knew the park existed until i heard that someone had put a course in there. and i drive by that area almost daily on my way home from work. the descriptions were just general directions to help people navigate the course on their fist time there. after you do it once or twice you will know where each tee and basket is. but since the tee boards are in the ground it is hard to spot where to find them if you have never been there.

Just got home after spending the entire day at Brewer Park, working on the redesign. We did clearing of the new layout, tee box areas & basket areas. We had a tremendous turn out, surprisingly. With all those hands, we made light work of clearing about six holes that required massive amounts of cutting & trimming. Can't wait to see the finished product.

New Innova Discatchers on Hudson Mills Original

Hudson Mills has replaced the old DGA's with brand new, 28 chain, Innova Discatchers w/ green chastity belts.

When I inquired at the park office why they made the change, they said the local club and other regulars were complaining of getting too many bad spits and pass throughs on the 25 year old DGA's. They said the Monster course is due to get refitted with new baskets next year.

1) I'm more than pleased park management actually listens to what local players say, especially when it comes to opening up their wallet and spending some real ca$h ...(they even changed the practice basket). From what I've seen, The Mills, and Indy Lake are more receptive to DG'ers than any of the other parks in the Metro Dtetroit area.

2) I can't help but think of this as a faux pas on Discraft's part. The Mills is pretty much in their back yard. From a branding standpoint, you really want your product visible in your community... not your biggest competitor's... on 2 of the arear's premier courses no less. That's a total of 54 baskets; two 24 hole courses, 1 practice, 5 extra full time pin placements on Monster. :\

Last edited:
Hudson Mills has replaced the old DGA's with brand new, 28 chain, Innova Discatchers w/ green chastity belts.

When I inquired at the park office why they made the change, they said the local club and other regulars were complaining of getting too many bad spits and pass throughs on the 25 year old DGA's. They said the Monster course is due to get refitted with new baskets next year.

1) I'm more than pleased park management actually listens to what local players say, especially when it comes to opening up their wallet and spending some real ca$h ...(they even changed the practice basket). From what I've seen, The Mills, and Indy Lake are more receptive to DG'ers than any of the other parks in the Metro Dtetroit area.

2) I can't help but think of this as a faux pas on Discraft's part. The Mills is pretty much in their back yard. From a branding standpoint, you really want your product visible in your community... not your biggest competitor's... on 2 of the arear's premier courses no less. That's a total of 54 baskets; two 24 hole courses, 1 practice, 5 extra full time pin placements on Monster. :\

Yeah, the choice to move away from Discraft/DGA baskets is kind of interesting, I am not sure I am really happy with the political piece of the decision. The Discatcher are great baskets, but I have spent most of lifetime of casual and tournament play, with Discraft as the primary sponsor and patron saint of disc golf in this area. The honestly have been terrific in their unwavering support of the game around here.

The consensus of opinion around leagues and players, I have had this discussion with, was the decision has a lot to due with Discraft/DGA's failure to get an approved basket, within new pro tour initiatives. Which seems like a very obscure decision making consideration, given the unlikely chance this particular course would be a pro tour consideration. Perhaps the decision had financial considerations I am not aware of. From a player perspective, the course just got significantly better, including a new course kiosk....but the choice to move away from homegrown products illicits some disappointment on this golfers behalf.

Yeah, the choice to move away from Discraft/DGA baskets is kind of interesting, I am not sure I am really happy with the political piece of the decision. The Discatcher are great baskets, but I have spent most of lifetime of casual and tournament play, with Discraft as the primary sponsor and patron saint of disc golf in this area. The honestly have been terrific in their unwavering support of the game around here.

The consensus of opinion around leagues and players, I have had this discussion with, was the decision has a lot to due with Discraft/DGA's failure to get an approved basket, within new pro tour initiatives. Which seems like a very obscure decision making consideration, given the unlikely chance this particular course would be a pro tour consideration. Perhaps the decision had financial considerations I am not aware of. From a player perspective, the course just got significantly better, including a new course kiosk....but the choice to move away from homegrown products illicits some disappointment on this golfers behalf.

I've had several contacts with the parks about this and related matters and I don't think tour standards were at all an issue.

From the park perspective, this was just business. They sought feedback from players on suitable replacements, contacted several manufacturers, and went with the lowest bid among acceptable options. That is probably SOP for such purchases within the park system. That Discraft did not quote a low figure or offer to match a price in a timely fashion is on Discraft.

It is important to remember this is the park's first time at this rodeo since 1992 with the installation of the first 18. The remaining six baskets on the Original and the 29 baskets on the Monster (and tee pads for all 48 holes) were purchased or arranged through the local club. It is safe to say the local club no longer has that kind of relationship with the park. That is perhaps the only "political" part of this development.

Myself, I could have lived with the old baskets. I always encourage the Park to cut the grass more often but the money that pays for that comes from some other, always nearly empty, pot. I did notice yesterday that the course had been mowed within the week while large swaths of open park were still in need of a good mowing. It is discouraging to see a well groomed park only to find the course untouched, so this was a nice switch.

Joe

I've had several contacts with the parks about this and related matters and I don't think tour standards were at all an issue.

From the park perspective, this was just business. They sought feedback from players on suitable replacements, contacted several manufacturers, and went with the lowest bid among acceptable options. That is probably SOP for such purchases within the park system. That Discraft did not quote a low figure or offer to match a price in a timely fashion is on Discraft.

It is important to remember this is the park's first time at this rodeo since 1992 with the installation of the first 18. The remaining six baskets on the Original and the 29 baskets on the Monster (and tee pads for all 48 holes) were purchased or arranged through the local club. It is safe to say the local club no longer has that kind of relationship with the park. That is perhaps the only "political" part of this development.

Myself, I could have lived with the old baskets. I always encourage the Park to cut the grass more often but the money that pays for that comes from some other, always nearly empty, pot. I did notice yesterday that the course had been mowed within the week while large swaths of open park were still in need of a good mowing. It is discouraging to see a well groomed park only to find the course untouched, so this was a nice switch.

Joe

Thanks for the response, Joe. I guess I could have thought this through a little. The MetroParks are run by a body, they would have to follow a standardized set of rules to spend about any money. The lowest and most responsive bid, for a top quality basket should have been the primary responsibility. Again, the Discatchers are great. I could have lived with the old baskets as well, but also agree that we should take any investment back into the courses that we can. Still a shame that relationship between A3, Discraft and the MetroParks is not what it once was.

I think the maintenance at HM has been pretty solid, the other three facilities seem to struggle more than here, but they all remain top notch disc golf experiences.

There were talks recently about closing the ball golf course at Hudson Mills and putting a disc golf course out there. Anyone know anything about this?

Jerry Cyr actually did solicit for opinions on discgolfscene back in January. You can see the history of that easily on the Hudson Mills talk section. Based on what was said there, it looks like the park (Jerry) did consider what was accepted by the DGPT as the link was posted (assuming he read the feedback on there). If it was between Mach X and the Pro 28 I would hazard a guess that price was the tie breaker. I believe I also recall some uproar from an A3 officer that insinuated that the Mach Xs were offered for the same price and the park rejected them, but thn Jerry came back acknowledging this happened but it was too late as the order had already been placed with Innova. Looks like those messages have been removed.

If you know the full history of Hudson Mills, having Innova Pro 28s there seems.. odd to say the least. That said, the times they are a changin'. There was a time when it seemed crazy that anyone other than A3 could run an event there. ;)

Jerry Cyr actually did solicit for opinions on discgolfscene back in January. You can see the history of that easily on the Hudson Mills talk section. Based on what was said there, it looks like the park (Jerry) did consider what was accepted by the DGPT as the link was posted (assuming he read the feedback on there). If it was between Mach X and the Pro 28 I would hazard a guess that price was the tie breaker. I believe I also recall some uproar from an A3 officer that insinuated that the Mach Xs were offered for the same price and the park rejected them, but thn Jerry came back acknowledging this happened but it was too late as the order had already been placed with Innova. Looks like those messages have been removed.

If you know the full history of Hudson Mills, having Innova Pro 28s there seems.. odd to say the least. That said, the times they are a changin'. There was a time when it seemed crazy that anyone other than A3 could run an event there. ;)

Yup!! Agree that there is a long connection between this park and Discraft. That was kind of what I was intimating below. In the long run, I am not really griping, but as we all have said, it is certainly odd.

Toboggan available Tue, May 30 & Wed, May 31

Baskets going in by Tue, May 30th.

Thu (the 1st) is typically reserved for registered players to practice and get a feel for the course, but you can probably get on the course if you keep a low profile.

Tourney runs from Fri, Jun 2nd thru Sun, Jun 4th. Baskets will be pulled pretty much after Am Nats, since DGLO is being held at Stony Creek.

Ticks, ticks, ticks. Was out at Lyon's Den in Milford this weekend and heard of many golfers finding ticks. Even ran into a couple of guys walking off the course having found a half dozen on themselves. I think it is safe to say this summer will likely be the worst we have seen in many years. Do your checks and be safe.

When I inquired at the park office why they made the change, they said the local club and other regulars were complaining of getting too many bad spits and pass throughs on the 25 year old DGA's.

oh man. i much prefer a seasoned discraft basket to the chastity belts. spits and pass throughs? that will put hair on your chest, boy! better start dropping in instead of firing rockets! work on that accuracy, speed, angle and approach.

anyone can sink one into a chastity belt, if you ignore the gawdy colors. if you can ignore the large worthless top ring that hitting never nets you a bounce / gravity / redirect putt. if you can ignore the useless oversize basket depth.

it takes a real player who enjoys a good challenge to sink one into a bent discraft installed at the wrong height thats been jumped on (and/or a tree fell on it) and was welded back together, ALSO MISSING A CHAIN OR TWO, HELD TOGETHER WITH A WIRE HANGER.

but when you sink that putt, hear the ching and the disc is in? its music to the eyes and ears.

this one goes to you, cass benton and your old ass baskets.

Update Jackson Community College course. Asked Tim to RIP/Extinct the JCC course layout and start a new course layout for Jackson College at same address. No longer a community college and the course had a major makeover very recently.

Good news, this new layout appears to be permanent as they have poured 18 concrete pads finally. New 4" x 4" posts have been placed in the back left area behind the pads. They kept holes #1, 2, 3, 4 and shortened #5 from 2014 redesign. Still start at #1, play #2 then move to the SW corner of campus to play 7 brand new holes. Then #3, 4 and 5 become holes #10, 11 and 12 as you venture off to the SE corner of campus. For the new layout as of this past weekend baskets are in play for #1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 and 17. For the new holes the sleeves are in the ground already and have a wood stake with orange paint/flags on top marking basket location. No word yet on when baskets will be pulled from old layout (still in ground) and moved to new locations.

This new layout pretty much runs along the South side of campus. Still lots of nice elevation and decent use of the few trees and bushes that remain from the clearing. A few baskets are a little close to the road and entrance. Two holes run parallel to a busy, fast road (#7 and #10).

Update Jackson Community College course. Asked Tim to RIP/Extinct the JCC course layout and start a new course layout for Jackson College at same address. No longer a community college and the course had a major makeover very recently.

Good news, this new layout appears to be permanent as they have poured 18 concrete pads finally. New 4" x 4" posts have been placed in the back left area behind the pads. They kept holes #1, 2, 3, 4 and shortened #5 from 2014 redesign. Still start at #1, play #2 then move to the SW corner of campus to play 7 brand new holes. Then #3, 4 and 5 become holes #10, 11 and 12 as you venture off to the SE corner of campus. For the new layout as of this past weekend baskets are in play for #1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 and 17. For the new holes the sleeves are in the ground already and have a wood stake with orange paint/flags on top marking basket location. No word yet on when baskets will be pulled from old layout (still in ground) and moved to new locations.

This new layout pretty much runs along the South side of campus. Still lots of nice elevation and decent use of the few trees and bushes that remain from the clearing. A few baskets are a little close to the road and entrance. Two holes run parallel to a busy, fast road (#7 and #10).

Is this a new redesign since September? If it is, I'll have to go back and add another course to the resume :hfive:

Yo, Vogues! Maybe I can meet up with you and Bo out there, and he can show us what they've been up to?

Is this a new redesign since September? If it is, I'll have to go back and add another course to the resume :hfive:

Yes, appears to be brand new. Whipped up a map this morning of how we played it. No official signage yet, just some tall 4" x 4" posts behind each new cement tee pad. It seemed to flow nicely for us and it added up to 18 holes so I think we figured it out.

Still waiting on approx 12 baskets to be put in. They did have the sleeves in the ground already so they have to be getting close. In the sleeve holes they put a wooden stake with orange flag so we just played to the sticks. :thmbup:

Yo, Vogues! Maybe I can meet up with you and Bo out there, and he can show us what they've been up to?

Sounds good, just let me know when. And if you haven't played Lady In Blue (McCourtie Park) definitely plan on playing two rounds. Lady in Blue is approx 10 minutes from JCC course and already has 18 holes (cement pads and baskets), working up to 24 holes. :hfive:

Attachments

• JCC_Redesign2017.jpg
    JCC_Redesign2017.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Jackson College course is only 8-10 min from my house so I will make sure to check it out over the next month and update progress. Once baskets are officially in I will post here and update the Course Conditions. Also see if I can take my range finder out there and get some distances to update the course page.

Latest posts