• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Played the new layout at Winstrom Preserve. There are a couple of different maps floating around, make sure you use the correct one, which we did not.

Also, a new listing here for the new layout ought to be posted and the old layout RIP'ed if that hasn't been done already. Looks like Shore Acres has already made a new map according to what I've seen on the Book of Faces...:thmbup:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9516

New course in Belleville, 5 minutes from the Throw Shop, between Ann Arbor and the Detroit Metro Airport.
12 holes- fundraising for a future 18+ permanent layout. Open now- mix of Chainstar and Latitude 64 Pro baskets, mix of cement and grass tees. Located on a former ball golf course and current bar. Please donate when you can, and support the bar when they're open. We're looking to add 3 "pirate pads" today.

random thoughts:

some baskets run close up to water hazards. on purpose or should these be moved a bit further away?

trash cans. maybe offer people trash bags or doggie bags too. if dogs are allowed its nice when people pick it up.

maybe ask the bar to do everyone a solid and only (or prefer) offer plastic or aluminum cans for the course ? growlers would be fine too. its just the 10 cent deposit just means people chuck those brown bottles wherever they want. i saw the mowers got a bottle already and i picked up about 40 bottles on the day i was out there. i've been picking up broken glass for decades at cass , kensington and other local courses. cant hurt to ask.

bar could stock some handwarmers for the course too? the bar has to think of itself as a clubhouse now?

driveway potholes

stock bar up with some discs from throw shop, maybe rentals and sales? sorry it was closed when i checked it out so i dont know.

how about a mini course out front ? no one plays mini disc golf ?

i still say we need some man-made obstacles, i think it would make for an interesting game. on the mini course or the full course? both! or maybe just some moveable mando monsters ?

tables/ benches yeah yeah i know fundraising.
bar coupon scorecard advertising? ok enough ideas.

random thoughts:

some baskets run close up to water hazards. on purpose or should these be moved a bit further away?

trash cans. maybe offer people trash bags or doggie bags too. if dogs are allowed its nice when people pick it up.

maybe ask the bar to do everyone a solid and only (or prefer) offer plastic or aluminum cans for the course ? growlers would be fine too. its just the 10 cent deposit just means people chuck those brown bottles wherever they want. i saw the mowers got a bottle already and i picked up about 40 bottles on the day i was out there. i've been picking up broken glass for decades at cass , kensington and other local courses. cant hurt to ask.

bar could stock some handwarmers for the course too? the bar has to think of itself as a clubhouse now?

driveway potholes

stock bar up with some discs from throw shop, maybe rentals and sales? sorry it was closed when i checked it out so i dont know.

how about a mini course out front ? no one plays mini disc golf ?

i still say we need some man-made obstacles, i think it would make for an interesting game. on the mini course or the full course? both! or maybe just some moveable mando monsters ?

tables/ benches yeah yeah i know fundraising.
bar coupon scorecard advertising? ok enough ideas.

Nice post and some good ideas. Cans only for drinking on the course is a FANTASTIC idea. Of course so is pack it out. :wall:

With the course being so new, I think it will take time for the bar owner to realize the potential and volume of play. I was out there for the first fund raising dubs and the bar owner was absolutely blown away by the amount of players standing around in the cold at 8 in the morning.

I personally have zero interest in mini golf or man made obstacles. This is an old ball course, it is going to be mostly flat and mostly open. Tis the nature of these courses. And with Rolling Hills, Willow MetroPark, Hudson Mills, Indy.....pretty close to this course, I am not sure that is a bad thing. Hope to see ya out there, compn.

I have been told of a new course in Dorr. Not the one at the twp hall but a different one.
18 holes, hastily laid out by the city/county.
I have been asked not to add to the registry as of now.
I guess the fairways don't even have grass planted yet...

It won't blow any minds but I am in the process of putting in a little 9 hole course in Grass Lake, MI behind the township hall. We have it roughed in at this point but need a few more work days of clearing and fine tuning. Baskets should be in the ground as soon as the ground is ready for them. Will have natural tee pads and is being designed as a beginner friendly course since the grounds also have teeball fields and a walking trail. Average hole length will be in the 200' range with one hole ~400-450'. A few water obstacles but mainly tight wooded lines.

Any of you yoopers in here know what the hell happened at "the tailings?"
We were there beginning of October and, aside from being severely overgrown (which it was just timing that led to this) there was either a landslide or they had pushed the hillside down between 3 & 4..

This was one of my favorite courses and, while I understand there is very little local support for this course, it's a shame to see it in the state it was in when we were there.

We were there beginning of October and, aside from being severely overgrown (which it was just timing that led to this) there was either a landslide or they had pushed the hillside down between 3 & 4..

This was one of my favorite courses and, while I understand there is very little local support for this course, it's a shame to see it in the state it was in when we were there.

Nobody plays it anymore. It's in the middle of nowhere. Not enough traffic to keep it beat down, no organized disc golf in Iron River, no leagues and only one tournament a year run by a club from Iron Mountain an hour away. It's dangerous in places. It's a ravenous disc eater. It's rough as a cob, not a course for the young or old, a good place to roll an ankle or twist a knee. Too advanced for beginners. With several new courses being built in the U.P. this summer, The Tailings will probably get less traffic, and only hardcore players will play it. If someone from Iron River were to step up and start maintaining the course, I'm sure we would be glad to help out, but so far no one is interested. It'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Nobody plays it anymore. It's in the middle of nowhere. Not enough traffic to keep it beat down, no organized disc golf in Iron River, no leagues and only one tournament a year run by a club from Iron Mountain an hour away. It's dangerous in places. It's a ravenous disc eater. It's rough as a cob, not a course for the young or old, a good place to roll an ankle or twist a knee. Too advanced for beginners. With several new courses being built in the U.P. this summer, The Tailings will probably get less traffic, and only hardcore players will play it. If someone from Iron River were to step up and start maintaining the course, I'm sure we would be glad to help out, but so far no one is interested. It'll probably get worse before it gets better.

truly unfortunate.

The Tailings

Good news ... Sunday, at a tournament, I was carded with a young man who has started dong some maintenance at The Tailings.

I'm only 30 minutes away from this course. It's an amazing course, my "home" course, and it truly is a shame for it to be in the condition it's in.

Several years back, I got excited about a group that was going to take over the course maintenance, and gladly volunteered to help them. Unfortunately, the club's culture was that of a playing club, not a working club. The culture of showing up and having things done for you, and that's why they don't have nice things!

So, yeah, after getting stiffed on 3 work days, I decided that I can't help people that aren't DOING anything, and walked away from working on the place.

Now I'm excited again, because this young man looks at doing volunteer course work the same way that I do... it's a way of paying it forward and giving back. If we want nice things, we have to do the work to have nice things. He's a 'doer' not a "talker".

Between him, myself, and the city, we have all the equipment, and the resources required to whip it into shape again.

I'm super stoked about helping someone work on The Tailings this year. This ain't no turd we're polishing, and the support has always been there from the city officials. Visitors this season should notice increased playability due to mowing and trimming, and also work on all safety related issues.

I was told that the work between hole 3 and 4 is where the city ran a new pipeline across/down the hill.

Good news ... Sunday, at a tournament, I was carded with a young man who has started dong some maintenance at The Tailings.

I'm only 30 minutes away from this course. It's an amazing course, my "home" course, and it truly is a shame for it to be in the condition it's in.

Several years back, I got excited about a group that was going to take over the course maintenance, and gladly volunteered to help them. Unfortunately, the club's culture was that of a playing club, not a working club. The culture of showing up and having things done for you, and that's why they don't have nice things!

So, yeah, after getting stiffed on 3 work days, I decided that I can't help people that aren't DOING anything, and walked away from working on the place.

Now I'm excited again, because this young man looks at doing volunteer course work the same way that I do... it's a way of paying it forward and giving back. If we want nice things, we have to do the work to have nice things. He's a 'doer' not a "talker".

Between him, myself, and the city, we have all the equipment, and the resources required to whip it into shape again.

I'm super stoked about helping someone work on The Tailings this year. This ain't no turd we're polishing, and the support has always been there from the city officials. Visitors this season should notice increased playability due to mowing and trimming, and also work on all safety related issues.

I was told that the work between hole 3 and 4 is where the city ran a new pipeline across/down the hill.
Sounds like fun, and I have nothing but time on my hands, so I'm in. Maybe seeing an old man driving a couple hours to fix up their course will shame the locals into action. I might even have a bench or two laying around.;)

We were up there in early October and it was SO BAD. I expected a bit of overgrowth but it was absolutely horrid.
The work between 3 and 4 was distracting but I'm sure it can be "fixed up." I truly LOVE this course, I'm just so far away. BUT, I always make a special trip to hit this one up.
Would love to see it back to greatness (I Had to downgrade my review :( )

Latest posts