• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Very glad they want to add a course, but I'd hate to see them squander the opportunity by giving control to people who think they know what they're doing, and end up with something that is some half-assed safety hazard, doesn't make good use of the parcel they've allotted, or doesn't play well. If they aren't hiring a designer, I really hope they at least solicit some input from a local club. Pretty sure Black Ace DG operates in that area. Maybe even Motor City Chain Gang... but I'd be willing to bet that Mark Stephens and John Minicuci are opretty busy getting things ready for USADGC and DGLO.

Again, I wonder who they plan to do the redesign.

I have it on pretty good authority that Motor City Chain Gang folks are designing and assisting in the Bald Mountain course. Also heard that the Addison Oaks redesign is up in the air, in regards to time frame.

Soooo...we're going to have a work day out at Lake township park to put in new tee pads (or at least do the prep work for them) this coming Saturday if anyone can come out and help.

Terry Calhoun on Facebook:

So exciting! Ben, Donnie, and I presented disc golf to a park in York Township a month or so ago. The chair of their parks and rec board contacted me this morning and asked us to lead the charge in designing and developing an 18 hole course at Sandra Richardson Park, just off US-23 at Willis Road.

We already have a Facebook group for those who are interested in working on the course. If you're interested in being added to that group, let me know by PM, please.

Image is initial, rough idea of the course area.

For those who don't recognize the area, it's kinda southeast of Ann Arbor.

Do any of you play in the Michigan Senior Olympics? I've been looking into it and found that only 9 men and three women played last year. The PDGA changed the age protected divisions to better align with senior olympic competitions, so I'm wondering why no one plays it, especially in a DG friendly state like MI.

Do any of you play in the Michigan Senior Olympics? I've been looking into it and found that only 9 men and three women played last year. The PDGA changed the age protected divisions to better align with senior olympic competitions, so I'm wondering why no one plays it, especially in a DG friendly state like MI.

It is supposed to be a nice event. We have had one down state for a few years. I simply find it hard to fit into my playing schedule. I am working my butt off to get points for Worlds 2019 and PDGA sanctioned events are the script of my summer. Now with the Grandmasters divided up into 50+ and 55+, point are even more difficult to get.

Honestly....the tournament is held at Firefighters Park, and I am not much of a fan of the course.

Just a quick update from the U.P. The grand opening for the Old Town course in Negaunee is scheduled for July 7. I believe they have all the equipment but there's still a lot of work to do.

The Eric McCabe designed Gladstone disc golf course also has received all their equipment and are waiting for the snow to melt, but the club has been very secretive about their plans and all they will say is early summer for opening. I do know it will have red and blue Veteran baskets and the pads will be 7'x5'x12' for the longs and 7'x5'x10 for the shorts. U.P. Mountain Man is also trying to come up with a plan to resurrect The Tailings from the neglect it has suffered.

Jesus, If I were any closer, I'd help with Tailings.

anyone in detroit metro area interested in a box of 20 or so broken/cracked/ pieces of discs ? i was saving them to make a "disc golf" sign out of broken plastic, but never got off the ground. I figure just cut them into shapes for letters and nail them to something weatherproof.

or is there anything else you can do with a broken disc ?

anyone in detroit metro area interested in a box of 20 or so broken/cracked/ pieces of discs ? i was saving them to make a "disc golf" sign out of broken plastic, but never got off the ground. I figure just cut them into shapes for letters and nail them to something weatherproof.

or is there anything else you can do with a broken disc ?

Larry Labond in Kalamazoo might want them. He uses cracked discs as part of his trophies for the cracked plastic open. Probably hit him up via discgolfscene.

Added: St Ambrose Cellars in Beulah today. 9 holes on the property of a Winery/brewery/meadery... Should be fun

Whats new at Rolling Hills

The DG Putting Labyrinth is open and playable.
Foz Miller on DG Scene said:
The Labyrinth Course Update 4/02/2018
I'm excited to see so many people out playing the Labyrinth already. A quick front 9 before a round helps a lot and several have used the course for playoffs or some extra quick fun at the end of a round.
Played there today and had a blast! Best warm up I've ever had before a round. :thmbup: :)

What this course is: 18 separate and distinct holes, ranging from 15 to 43 ft, specifically designed to help your work on your finesse putting skills. This course has you putting around, over, under, and though a variety of trees, branches, tight tunnels, awkward angles … all those "Jeez, is this an unfortunate lie" situations you might end up in near a well-guarded basket. Intentionally uses a variety of PDGA approved baskets so you can get a feel for how different baskets catch. 11 baskets are installed as of today, with 7 holes still using posts for targets... all but 1 or 2 of the remaining seven baskets have been purchased and are on the way(their still looking for 1 or 2 more sponsors). Many thanks to the people, clubs and businesses who donated baskets or $ for them. :clap: :clap: :clap:

What this course isn't: It's not a regular DG course. It's not even pitch & putt… there's no approach. Every single shot is a putt, not just because you're using a putter, but because you're using a putting motion. Don't get me wrong, these shots ain't easy... but only a tool would count them as Aces. You're supposed to be able to make every one of them... but you won't. I one-putted 3 of them today...but I refuse to call them Aces.

I've asked Tim to list it and I have pix and distances once it is. IMO, It should be listed as "Rolling Hills Putting Labyrinth" so there's no mistaking what this course is.

Foz also told me work is progressing on the new holes A-F (located after #13, bringing you back to #14), to bring the original course up to 24 holes, and they're also working on 12 additional holes that start behind #1's basket. The plan is to finish them so that they can pour concrete tees at the same time they pour the tees for Indy Lake Red Hawk X.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also ran into John Bacon at the course today. He's got approval for an 18 hole course located in Kennedy Park in Trenton, behind the ice arena. He said the holes have been designed, but didn't sound like any work's been done at this point.

Last edited:
Just doing a bit of house cleaning.

I picked up this part of the conversation from the Most Holes Played in 24 Hours thread, because it kind of evolved into two different conversations.
The conversation about the course itself, how it should be listed/rated, etc... really belongs in this thread.
The conversation about the record, how short the course should be to set the record... belongs in that thread. doesn't belong in that thread.

----------------------------------
As for this course...

The issue of whether this course should or shouldn't be grouped with other more stereotypical courses is a valid debate.
It's very intent is to challenge one very specific aspect of the game, which it is quite good at, (hence my rating of 3.0).

I'm also aware how this site is used. Ratings are a starting point in considering destinations. Reviews and course pics should actually influence decision making more than ratings. But some people get hung up on ratings or won't read the review on which they're based.

When viewed in the larger context of this Putting Skills being categorized with every other course, those people might infer from the rating, that the course is something it's not.

Personally, I think that's on them (for checking the course info or reading the review). However, the fact remains that this course is lumped in with every other course (at least for the time being). In comparison to other courses, it is exceedingly (and purposefully) one dimensional.

But like I said in my review, I'm not gonna rip such a unique and fun course for not being suitable for sanctioned events, or providing a wider range of shots. That's not it's reason for being, and that's what the other course at Rolling Hills is for.

However, I don't want anyone to see a 4.0 rated course plus 3.0 rated course, and trekking out Rolling Hills expecting it to be some way above average multi-round DG excursion. I figure dropping it to 2.0 should keep the park from being overrated as a multi-course destination, hence I've revised my rating today.

Not doing this to change minds, for more thumbs, or any reason other than attempting to be consistent with the way the course is listed, and knowing how this site is used.

Last edited:

Latest posts