• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

im going to be hitting up lp michigan in a week or so and hugging the left of the lp (east coast of lake michigan)

flip is an obvious and some mason county courses too

anyone have any recs for the most wooded and hilly courses around there

really mean truly wooded/dense/unfair courses that have tighest technical lines are my favorite and elevation adds in extra beauty to the mix

for other **** to do around there i was thinking maybe peepin sleeping bear national lake shore

anything else i should look for

i will be hiking and backpacking a ton too while im not playing the dg courses

Lake Arvista Championship Tees if you want brutal. Not tightly wooded but super super long and difficult.

Don't miss Mt. McSauba.

One of my wifes favorites (she doesn't play but tags along for the nature bit) it's a hiking trail that someone sprinkled a disc golf course into.

regarding your original question: Leprechaun Hollows is the course you're looking for. 300' tunnels 5' wide, first available's sprinkled far enough from the teepad to avoid getting hit with your swing, but close enough to make you question why you didn't just putt off the tee to get into the "open" part of the fairways. But you'll have one good shot perfectly through a gap or down a fairway that'll have you thinking about when you can go visit again.

Then after that beating you can wander over to the breakers and play a more average wooded course to get a reprieve.

im going to be hitting up lp michigan in a week or so and hugging the left of the lp (east coast of lake michigan)

really mean truly wooded/dense/unfair courses that have tighest technical lines are my favorite and elevation adds in extra beauty to the mix

for other **** to do around there i was thinking maybe peepin sleeping bear national lake shore

Sounds like you would like Leprechaun Hollows. It isn't listed on DGCR but its on Udisc and Discgolfscene. If you go as far as Holland, its only open on Thursdays for league. $5 drop-in.

back 9 looks a little concerning of how open it is tho

At Leila? There's one open bomber hole off a hill. The one after that looks open but has a nasty ceiling - think it's meant to be a roller hole. I guess 4 is kind of open but it's hard to hit a spot for a 2nd drive worth a darn. 15 is open as well I suppose.

Trust me, it's nasty.

Sounds like you would like Leprechaun Hollows. It isn't listed on DGCR but its on Udisc and Discgolfscene. If you go as far as Holland, its only open on Thursdays for league. $5 drop-in.

that sounds amazing but yah tbh league will put a halt to my course baggin priorities if it was open on all the time i would hit it up

At Leila? There's one open bomber hole off a hill. The one after that looks open but has a nasty ceiling - think it's meant to be a roller hole. I guess 4 is kind of open but it's hard to hit a spot for a 2nd drive worth a darn. 15 is open as well I suppose.

Trust me, it's nasty.

are the pics up to date on here

2 11 12 15 look open

or should i check pics on udisc

i have no problem going out of my way if it means guaranteed great dg

Welcome. :D

Direct answers to your question:
- Branstrom Park in Fremont is a bit off the beaten path, but overall fun and it largely plays that way from what I remember.
- I don't know how far you are willing to venture inland, but a couple of other hilly and technical (often tight) courses I like are Tower Park in Greenville, Ionia State Rec. Area (need MI state park pass for this one), and even Johnson Park in Grand Rapids.

My other picks near lakeshore:
- Hickory Hills in Traverse City has 2 courses. There used to be one 24-hole layout that was really good. First course I ever played. Very technical course with lots of elevation. For the last few years they have been trying to redo it as two 18-hole layouts. I got some intel that they might be done as of a few weeks ago, but haven't been up there yet to investigate. Currently showing as one 18-hole layout here.
- Mason County Park Beauty/Beast of course. Don't miss Whiskey Hills southeast of Ludington either. Very underrated course, that might be RIP'ed after this summer. :(
- McGraft Park in Muskegon has a lot of character for an urban park course.
- Shore Acres in Saugatuck is nice, although the signage is frustrating.

For non disc golf, Sleeping Bear is great. Curious what other hiking you are planning on?

- Branstrom Park in Fremont is a bit off the beaten path, but overall fun and it largely plays that way from what I remember.
- I don't know how far you are willing to venture inland, but a couple of other hilly and technical (often tight) courses I like are Tower Park in Greenville, Ionia State Rec. Area (need MI state park pass for this one), and even Johnson Park in Grand Rapids.

- Hickory Hills in Traverse City has 2 courses. There used to be one 24-hole layout that was really good. First course I ever played. Very technical course with lots of elevation. For the last few years they have been trying to redo it as two 18-hole layouts. I got some intel that they might be done as of a few weeks ago, but haven't been up there yet to investigate. Currently showing as one 18-hole layout here.
- Mason County Park Beauty/Beast of course. Don't miss Whiskey Hills southeast of Ludington either. Very underrated course, that might be RIP'ed after this summer. :(

For non disc golf, Sleeping Bear is great. Curious what other hiking you are planning on?

This is pretty sound advice. :thmbup:

Interesting news on Hickory Hills. I was up there this fall and it did not look like the second 18 was getting close. I have a fall trip planned for "up North", guess I will have to put her on my list too.

are the pics up to date on here

2 11 12 15 look open

or should i check pics on udisc

i have no problem going out of my way if it means guaranteed great dg

2 is open for the first 200' or so, but then it goes left up the hill into the woods. It's extremely difficult to thread a shot up there for a bird. It's usually a bogie hole because of how challenging it is to land the first drive for a good approach - you go left or right and you have no shot.

11 is the open bomber hole. It's fun.

12 is the roller hole - when the leaves are in there isn't much of an airway, and the elevation changes exasperate the issue. It's not visible, but the pin is on a hill past those trees.

15 is indeed a field shot. Forgot about that one.

Worse comes to worst, there are another 7 courses within a 15 minute drive. Cold Brook is very wooded as well, though the holes are shorter so it's not as unreasonable as Leila. Leila longs make golfers cry.

2 is open for the first 200' or so, but then it goes left up the hill into the woods. It's extremely difficult to thread a shot up there for a bird. It's usually a bogie hole because of how challenging it is to land the first drive for a good approach - you go left or right and you have no shot.

11 is the open bomber hole. It's fun.

12 is the roller hole - when the leaves are in there isn't much of an airway, and the elevation changes exasperate the issue. It's not visible, but the pin is on a hill past those trees.

15 is indeed a field shot. Forgot about that one.

Worse comes to worst, there are another 7 courses within a 15 minute drive. Cold Brook is very wooded as well, though the holes are shorter so it's not as unreasonable as Leila. Leila longs make golfers cry.

your last line convinced me i enjoy a great ass kicking course

f yah thank you so much

i added all to my wish list besides the one you have to pay for

well i have no camping reservations i was going to figure out the national forest situation and hope i can do some backpacking camping (i have all ultralight gear but i would like most of my time for course bagging and i hate paying for camping) or worst comes to worst just sleep in my car i planned on staying at a combination of manistee and huron and hiawatha and ottawa (yes this is a dumb plan but i like adventure)

i just saw sleeping bear on the map i have no actual plans to do any other hikes or stops i was just goin to see whats in the area/time for

so i am open to any recs on hiking/exploring spots

i have been to pictured rocks during winter in the up and loved that i also stayed in marquette and did some hiking around there and loved some of the mountain overlooks and random waterfalls/streams that were hidden in the up

This is pretty sound advice. :thmbup:

Interesting news on Hickory Hills. I was up there this fall and it did not look like the second 18 was getting close. I have a fall trip planned for "up North", guess I will have to put her on my list too.

Interesting. The layout I played when I last visited (May 2021 I believe) was still pretty good, but had a ridiculous walk near the end of the round and overall was a disappointment after having played the original 24 as a kid. It also lacked the top-of-the-world hole, which I assumed was going into that second 18.

This is current, I think? So maybe what I actually read was that they are done re-re-laying out the one side. :wall: https://www.traversecitymi.gov/government/city-departments/hickory-hills/disc-golf.html

f yah thank you so much

i added all to my wish list besides the one you have to pay for

well i have no camping reservations i was going to figure out the national forest situation and hope i can do some backpacking camping (i have all ultralight gear but i would like most of my time for course bagging and i hate paying for camping) or worst comes to worst just sleep in my car i planned on staying at a combination of manistee and huron and hiawatha and ottawa (yes this is a dumb plan but i like adventure)

i just saw sleeping bear on the map i have no actual plans to do any other hikes or stops i was just goin to see whats in the area/time for

so i am open to any recs on hiking/exploring spots

i have been to pictured rocks during winter in the up and loved that i also stayed in marquette and did some hiking around there and loved some of the mountain overlooks and random waterfalls/streams that were hidden in the up

Happy to help. Excited you are going to tour around my area. :)

One campground you may be able to stop at is Lake Michigan Recreation Area. It's part of Manistee National Forest and on Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. Pretty easy access to the Ludington courses if you wanted to stay a couple days. I think they have two loops of sites that are walk-in, other two are reserve in advance and probably full but idk you could look. I have been going to the group camp there every summer since I was born. Pretty nice place, very rustic and secluded in the woods. No cell service though so you'll have to plan your bagging in advance hahah.

Sleeping Bear is a cool area, you'll probably want to drive around Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and check out the dune climb. In general though I think the UP has the LP beat in terms of hiking, scenery, etc. You'll like not having to drive 2+ hours to reach the next fun disc golf course tho. :D

Way up towards the top of the LP there is the "Tunnel of Trees" (another scenic drive) and Wilderness State Park is one of my favorites. Need that park pass again there tho. :p

Last edited: