• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Tee sign disappeared some time ago. Dunno what happened to it. Shane, cause they're pretty nice tee signs, too. :\

#3 tee is right near the SE corner of the parking lot of the office bldg on Grand River Ave. UDisc map should basically put you there... but you can't tell exactly where it is.

Yep, southeast corner of the parking lot. It's a bit sloped there, they were going to build up a front edge and landscape around it. The tee creates a great shot option to throw a gentle left to right drive over the bushes/creek left of the tallest trees, or a big wide right to left drive over the pond then crashing onto the green.

Any Manistique Courses?

Hello fellow Michiganders,
My family is planning a trip to the UP this summer, most likely staying in/near Manistique. Looking at DGCR/UDISC it looks like the area is somewhat of a disc golf desert with the closest course about an hour away. The only tidbit I was able to find was a recreation plan for 2019-2023 that included a DG course in Manistique's Central Park (page 27 of the below document). Does anyone know if this course was ever constructed and/or if there are other courses in the area that I'm missing? Would love to bag a course or two while we're up there/feed my addiction.

https://cityofmanistique.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/five-year-recreation-plan.pdf

Thanks in advance!
Ben

My family is planning a trip to the UP this summer, most likely staying in/near Manistique. Looking at DGCR/UDISC it looks like the area is somewhat of a disc golf desert with the closest course about an hour away. The only tidbit I was able to find was a recreation plan for 2019-2023 that included a DG course in Manistique's Central Park (page 27 of the below document). Does anyone know if this course was ever constructed and/or if there are other courses in the area that I'm missing? Would love to bag a course or two while we're up there/feed my addiction.

https://cityofmanistique.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/five-year-recreation-plan.pdf

Thanks in advance!
Ben

Nice! Yeah it's a little bit thin right around there. I don't think that particular course exists, but very curious if anyone else knows anything.

You should definitely play North Bluff near Escanaba. That one is actually next in my queue to review but TLDR will be that it's a fantastic must-play course that seems to be flying way under the radar. 23 holes of great golf followed by a jaw-dropping 24-27 on a ski hill with views of Little Bay de Noc. Two tees and baskets per hole to make four layouts of varying difficulty. I have played almost every course in the UP and this will be the only UP course I have rated at 4.5. And it happens to be closest to Manistique!

Another course that is not quite as polished but still 1000% worth playing, and not too far from Manistique is Superior Pines near Pictured Rocks. It basically feels like an untouched pine forest with some baskets. The golf is solid, not as good as North Bluff but it is just so relaxing to play there. Just you and nature. I don't have it RATED as highly but it is one of my top three or four favorite courses, no asterisks.

Beyond that, there are several great courses in the Marquette area if you are willing to make a day trip that far. The UP is wonderful - you will likely have a great time no matter what you decide to do. :D

Last edited:
Although I have played a few nice courses in Marquette, it was for a tournament. My mind works a little differently when it comes to how I play when a tourney is involved. So I want to get back up there to play for fun. Please keep info coming! :)

Although I have played a few nice courses in Marquette, it was for a tournament. My mind works a little differently when it comes to how I play when a tourney is involved. So I want to get back up there to play for fun. Please keep info coming! :)

Here's my two cents on Marquette disc golf. It is becoming a DG destination. All four 18s there are worth playing, and I think you could make a case for three of them to be the best in the area. There are even three 9ers around too that are all different from one another and interesting to play. Plus it's only about an hour to the afore mentioned North Bluff.

I could go on and on lol, someone else chime in. :D

Here's my two cents on Marquette disc golf. It is becoming a DG destination. All four 18s there are worth playing, and I think you could make a case for three of them to be the best in the area. There are even three 9ers around too that are all different from one another and interesting to play. Plus it's only about an hour to the afore mentioned North Bluff.

Sounds good to me.

Hope your OK with me planning my UP trip for the summer. I'd rather travel south for my winter excursions. ;)

It's the Michigan New Courses Thread. You're the king of the UP. You dug your own grave. ;)

I haven't played any Marquette courses, or North Bluff. Saving that for it's own trip. Looking forward to it to. The UP is absolutely gorgeous donchaknow. :thmbup:

Thanks in advance!
Ben

I haven't heard a thing about a course in Manistique but covid may have delayed their plans. Speaking of North Bluff, it's enjoying the best winter playing conditions in years with clear pads, very little snow and none forecasted for the immediate future. Get out and play before winter comes back to the banana belt.:cool:

It's the Michigan New Courses Thread. You're the king of the UP. You dug your own grave. ;)

I haven't played any Marquette courses, or North Bluff. Saving that for it's own trip. Looking forward to it to. The UP is absolutely gorgeous donchaknow. :thmbup:

Ending sentences in "donchaknow" is a Minnesota thing.
Ending sentences in "Eh" is a Yooper thing. :D (also Canadian)

Oh alright. Twist my arm. :D

So yeah, Marquette area is great.
- Al Quaal was recently upgraded from a 9er to a completely different full 18. Championship level challenge in a beautiful park. Might be the strongest challenger to North Bluff in the UP once it is finished and dialed in a bit. It might be your favorite Marquette area course if you are looking for that level of challenge. The long tees here wore me out but I'm not very good. :D There are shorts too. I need to update my review on here, it was for the old 9.
- Powder Mill is a very cool course that is right in town. There are some fun holes that play in rocky wooded hilly areas. I think it's probably a little easier than the new Al Quaal, but still plenty challenging. I'm not sure if I would quite put it at #9 in MI (current status on here) but I love the course. Like Al Quaal, there are long and short tees.
- Old Town is actually my personal favorite in the area. It has this really unique, although pretty easy, front nine that plays over ruins of an old mining town in the woods. Then the back nine is just really nice technical golf, complete with some awesome elevation changes etc. They actually just added nine additional holes last year that are longer like the back nine, but with some more unique ruins mixed in like the front nine. There are some really cool natural features that are used too. It's definitely an easier course than the two above - if you can throw 250'ish and shape your shots (which is about where I am at currently) you should be able to get ahead of par on the front 9 here then try to remain under/near it for the remaining 18. But it's just such a unique and cool course. I think I need to update my review of this one too to reflect the new last 9.
- Silver Creek is the weakest of the four 18s IMO, but it's still a nice technical course that I rated at 3.5.

Besides Superior Pines, there isn't much east of US-41 in the UP that is noteworthy from a disc golf perspective. Lots of cool non-DG things to do though.

The west side of the UP has some other solid courses, but there are some pretty significant drives between them. The most noteworthy ones IMO are:
1. Calumet Lake - Great technical course on the Keweenaw. Not much elevation change, but a great mix of mostly wooded lines. Very well maintained and polished by one of our own. ;)
2. Constellation Farmstead is a brand new course that plays around an active farm. It's a very unique experience and a lot of fun. The owner has big plans to upgrade it into a world-class course.
3. The Tailings - Epic course in Iron River. Huge elevation changes. The rough is very rough and the course is poorly maintained. Worth a stop for serious disc golfers, but not someplace for the faint of heart.
4. City Park - Wooded course with tons of elevation changes. Right in Iron Mountain.
5. Norrie Park gets my nod for favorite 9er in the UP. It's way at the western tip in Ironwood. Of course, if you get that far you should also check out Sandy Point, Highbridge, and some other destinations in northern Wisconsin.

Well I'll grant that but I know that we have several others watching this thread who have played quite a few UP courses, including yourself. ;)

And there are a few locals around too!

Just don't want to have the only opinion. :)

Old Town was my favorite as well. Only problem was there was a BMX/trail bikes tournament concurrently being run at the time of the DG tourney I was playing. Witnessed a few close calls of cyclists nearly being beheaded. With all that property, seems they could divey it up so the two activities didn't intersect. I know, I know. There's always some behind the scenes reason.

Old Town was my favorite as well. Only problem was there was a BMX/trail bikes tournament concurrently being run at the time of the DG tourney I was playing. Witnessed a few close calls of cyclists nearly being beheaded. With all that property, seems they could divey it up so the two activities didn't intersect. I know, I know. There's always some behind the scenes reason.

Totally agree with this! I didn't see any cyclists but I saw the signage for the trails. I think there are trails all around the area - do they really need to pass through the course??

Question for Michigan folks: We will be driving to Algonac, MI next summer for a memorial. Bro will be flying in and out of Detroit. Looking for a place we can toss a round between Algonac (on the St. Clair River, north of Lake St. Clair) and the Detroit airport.

Looks like Will Bendik Memorial, Cass Benton Hills, or Rolling Hills/Labyrinth are the most convenient, but I am open to other suggestions. :)

Thanks!

Willow metropark is close to the airport. Crazy mosquitoes in the summer if it has rained recently, however.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Would skeeters be bad by mid-June?

Question for Michigan folks: We will be driving to Algonac, MI next summer for a memorial. Bro will be flying in and out of Detroit. Looking for a place we can toss a round between Algonac (on the St. Clair River, north of Lake St. Clair) and the Detroit airport.

Looks like Will Bendik Memorial, Cass Benton Hills, or Rolling Hills/Labyrinth are the most convenient, but I am open to other suggestions. :)

Thanks!
DTW to Algonac is about 70 miles on I-94 East.

Ringer's right in that in that Willow is closest to DTW Airport (about 8-10 miles), and as he said, the bugs can be horrible in the summer.

FWIW, I pretty much only play Willow in the fall, early winter. Willow has a LOT of short, shot shaping holes I think you'll enjoy. Well balanced in that there are many opportunities to throw hyzers, straight and quite a few a annies off the tee. Poorly balanced in that 23 out of 24 holes are short tunnelly fairways that all require tight lines and well placed shots. Literally only one long open hole (which does feature a well guarded green that makes for a challenging approach). Lots of mids and putters off the tee. Flat as a pancake, and doesn't drain, so it's basically unplayable after a rain. Willow is all about touch and finnesse, but gets repetitive. Quite a few holes on Willow "feel" a lot like one of the other holes on Willow.

Will Bendik will take you a just a few more miles out of your way, and is a more of a championship caliber course that really can't be rushed through. More balanced overall with a decent mix of long open holes, where your first two shots will be all about distance. Also has several nicely wooded holes of varying distance and maybe with some real elevation as a factor on maybe 5-6 holes. I honestly think Bendik is a better, more complete course.

Brys and Spindler are easily the most conveniently located off I-94. Both of them are 12 basket's with dual tees that require you you to go round twice to play "24." Can't imagine you'll find either of them as good as Willow or Bendik.

Call me if you want to talk about it, and have a good trip. ;)

Double post deleted.

Last edited:
Willow metropark is close to the airport. Crazy mosquitoes in the summer if it has rained recently, however.

Willow could (likely) be in the middle of a redesign. Changing it from 24 holes to 18. Work has started, but seems stalled. I don't know the timeline, but I would guess winter and spring will be slow work on this course.

If you have the time, Will Bendik is a terrific option. Bogey sums it up well. Spindler and Brys are small city park courses. I don't really play them much, at all.

Latest posts