• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Just did a search for Grand River in this thread to see if it has been mentioned yet. Apparently not. So I guess I'll bring it to y'all's attention now. Plus, I figured if anyone had any questions about a course in the GR vicinity someone would have asked me by now. Right?

There is a new course in the Lowell area called Grand River Riverfront Park DGC (that is the name printed at the top of this map I have, sounds silly). I found it in u-disc a while back, but only played it this afternoon for the first time. It appears to be mostly ready for play, with the exception of no cement teepads & no signage. It could still use one or two more work days to clean up the fairways of loose bits here & there.

I no longer have a phone, so I had to go old school & print off a map that was in the pics of u-disc. Wow, after 300+ courses under my belt, my navigation skills did not fail me (guess those land nav classes in Army basic are everlasting). History has proven that I am no reviewer so I will not do so. Suffice to say, I enjoyed the course & look forward to playing it again once it is finished. And if anyone is looking to play it with a guide, hit me up. But wait until after this blizzard we're supposed to be getting this week.

...if anyone is looking to play it with a guide, hit me up. But wait until after this blizzard we're supposed to be getting this week.

I might take you up on that some time in March or April.

Maybe even hit this Swan Acres DGC, https://app.udisc.com/applink/course/32387 while we're out there (only about about 7 miles from Grand River Riverfront Park), if it can be arranged.

Last edited:
Just a heads up. A new private pay-to-play course is coming to West Michigan this year...Manistee to be exact! This course was built by Tom Organ. If that name sounds familiar he was heavily involved with the course creations and upkeep of the Mason County(Ludington) courses in the past when the club was at its peak. He is an amazing designer and great player and I personally can't wait to play and see what he has built!

https://udisc.com/courses/acorn-hills-grey-squirrel-buwQ

Just a heads up. A new private pay-to-play course is coming to West Michigan this year...Manistee to be exact! This course was built by Tom Organ. If that name sounds familiar he was heavily involved with the course creations and upkeep of the Mason County(Ludington) courses in the past when the club was at its peak. He is an amazing designer and great player and I personally can't wait to play and see what he has built!

https://udisc.com/courses/acorn-hills-grey-squirrel-buwQ

Hey tomjulio. You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Ludington and area as well as anyone. Another thread is discussing Bill at Flip City's decision to end camping on site. Any rumors of why he is now taking this stand?

Hey tomjulio. You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Ludington and area as well as anyone. Another thread is discussing Bill at Flip City's decision to end camping on site. Any rumors of why he is now taking this stand?

Had some great talks with Bill last year about the challenges of owning a private disc golf course during this booming growth phase of disc golf. As with everything, there is always a certain small percentage of people that ruin the good things for the rest of us and that's basically what happened. It just became too much to take on for Bill, especially after his long deserved retirement and the wanting for peace and relaxation after so many years of working in the real world. The course is his home, can you imagine having random people just driving into your yard and expecting camping accommodations each and every day of the summer? I think Bill is trying to get back to what made Flip special in the first place and I 100% support his decisions as of late.

Interesting...The U of Toledo NASA USLI rocket team comes up to our field in Three Oaks, MI to fly their rocket now and then.

My son is involved with the team AND frolfs. :hfive:

They'll be going for their level 1 certs soon, but Columbus is going to be more convenient for them for that. However, if they decide on Three Oaks for a future launch, I may have to volunteer to drive :D

They'll be going for their level 1 certs soon, but Columbus is going to be more convenient for them for that. However, if they decide on Three Oaks for a future launch, I may have to volunteer to drive :D
He also continues to be welcome on the frolf team should he choose to join :D

If they come up to our Michiana Mayhem launch in a couple of weeks I will be the one to sign off on their L1 certs. ;)

Had some great talks with Bill last year about the challenges of owning a private disc golf course during this booming growth phase of disc golf. As with everything, there is always a certain small percentage of people that ruin the good things for the rest of us and that's basically what happened. It just became too much to take on for Bill, especially after his long deserved retirement and the wanting for peace and relaxation after so many years of working in the real world. The course is his home, can you imagine having random people just driving into your yard and expecting camping accommodations each and every day of the summer? I think Bill is trying to get back to what made Flip special in the first place and I 100% support his decisions as of late.

Thanks for the insight, man. Tis a shame, but I am happy that Bill still has the energy and passion to make Flip happen.

News on the new course across the river from Powder Mill....
We were approved for a Michigan Economic Development Corporation matching grant of $36k!!! We are in the middle of our fundraising campaign now, and have to raise $36k by May 30 to get the match. So, please pass this along to anyone you know who may be interested in donating or becoming a sponsor on the course. Anything you can give right now is worth double when we reach our goal and get the matching MEDC grant!!!

The crowdfunding page is...

www.patronicity.com/buck

I live in Dearborn and the local, city owned golf course has been closed for a year and a half. Flooding has decimated most of the course due to HUGE log jams on the Rouge River, running through the course. The course is essentially divided into halves by Telegraph road. This course has been around for decades. Well, a group of us has recently been making a pretty big push to get a course put in on the half that has seen the most damage and flooding. A terrific opportunity. Room for a fantastic course, with ponds and a river to work with. A clubhouse with food, liquor, showers a patio.... We spent quite a bit of time pitching the business, recreation and community benefits of such a venture. After a secret neighborhood meeting with the mayor, NIMBY's seem to have really busted up our efforts. Even more frustrating is that I am literally IN the neighborhood. The mayor ultimately telling us....guys, the city of Dearborn has NO interest in disc golf. Very sad, an incredible opportunity gone by the way side. But, as I said in a the Kentucky basket thread, you win some, you lose some. The city decided to put in the effort and open half of the golf course...the half opposite of our proposed disc golf course. Here is the announcement video.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1469055933501333

The short little squirrel is our mayor. What a DICK!!

Please feel free to share and trash this dooooosh.

https://www.facebook.com/Dearborngov/

Last edited:

Latest posts