• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Heading out to play Blue Gill on Wed. with The Shide. I have decided to stay the night in Kazoo and bag a couple courses on the way home Thursday. Does anyone know what is up with Kimball Pines. The course page says 18 holes, but everything on the page shows it as still a 9 hole. No reviews of the new course yet.

Heading out to play Blue Gill on Wed. with The Shide. I have decided to stay the night in Kazoo and bag a couple courses on the way home Thursday. Does anyone know what is up with Kimball Pines. The course page says 18 holes, but everything on the page shows it as still a 9 hole. No reviews of the new course yet.
Found the following on the UDisc page:
UDisc said:
A rebuild on an older course that was destroyed by a tornado. Course now has a full 18 holes with concrete pads for each hole.

Front 9 has a short/long pad option, though only one is concrete with the other being dirt. Back 9 has two pin locations that rotate roughly monthly.

Thursday Night Random Dubs - $10 all in - 5:30pm Tee Off
There is also a link on that page to an 18 hole layout map.

The DGScene page, by contrast, is even more out of date than the DGCR one... lol... Looks to have last been updated in early 2015.

Found the following on the UDisc page:

There is also a link on that page to an 18 hole layout map.

The DGScene page, by contrast, is even more out of date than the DGCR one... lol... Looks to have last been updated in early 2015.

Thanks Woj. You know I simply forget to use Udisc as a resource. :wall:

Lordy, Lordy. I got out and play BlueGill on Wednesday. The course is not listed here [well, it can be found RIP'd], nor UDisc, per the owners request. Ranked #2 in the state on DGS. https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/BlueGill_Disc_Golf_Course

This is simply a stellar piece of property. Several small ponds, some open meadows, large swaths of heavily wooded steep terrain. Solid cement tee pads for longs, some rubber pads for shorts, terrific tee signs showing elevation changes along with all the other needed info. Benches everywhere. Top notch maintenance, attention to details like gardens, sculptures, farm equipment, disc retrieval tools, simple navigation and a menagerie of woodland creatures. Each hole has a name and theme. The blue Discatchers each have a band wrap lined with past tournament stamps circling the band. It is a pretty physical course, with some very steep elevation changes, long sun walks and plenty of trees to add throws with. I do not really rank the courses I have played, but this beauty certainly challenges or makes my top ten. It is the best course in Michigan. It does not play like or feel like a private course. A superior day of disc golf with The Shide, who was kind enough to funnel me Oberon as a reward for completing our adventure.

I did get to play Kimball Pines in Battle Creek on the way home. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=11326

This new iteration of the storm destroyed 2008 Worlds course is indeed completed and 18 holes long. The front 9 are polished with benches, rudimentary tee signs and the course had very solid next tee signs at every basket. The front is pretty open, playing as a park style course with plenty of distance. Rolling hills throughout, just to cause some problems. Chainstars could be upgraded and the tee pads were mostly reused from the old course and worn, but serviceable. The back 9 looks like it was just completed. Still a bit rough around the edges, needing some traffic and a bit of work on the rough. It is much more technical and wooded. Another fantastic day and it was good to see this course revived. Great work to they.

Sounds like you had a great time. Blue Gill is one of my very favorites. So much variety, great water holes, and attention to detail. Joe really has made it something wonderful.

The night before my BlueGill odyssey, I spent the evening playing a pop up course on Belle Isle in Detroit. The Saggy Britches crew https://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/SB_Disc_Golf_Club...formerly the club was named ****ty Britches, put out 9 baskets and 18 temp tee pads. They made use of a large road bordered picnic area. Very grassy and flat, but plenty of very mature trees to work around.

The park is now owned and managed by the State Park System and has vastly improved. They have spent a lot of time and money working on primarily infrastructure. We had a chance to chat up a Conservation Officer and a Park Ranger before the round. Both were very interested....both suggesting that the old zoo land was the topic of several meeting and deemed relatively useless. Hmmm...sounds like disc golf code for course opportunity. This island is staggering in its aged power and natural beauty. The thick Canadian wildfire smoke haze only added to the mystique. A huge thanks to Saggy Britches and Todd Cavender for the work. We had about 30 league members and a couple dozen rando, who found the pop up course on Facebook or UDisc.

Sorry I missed you Ru4por! We were at junior worlds for the week. Some other time, sir. I got to play Blue Gill once, and it was in a foot of snow. Almost tossed that circle-stamp Rhyno that Sgamerp saw at Cold Brook into the pond without knowing it was a pond (being covered in snow and all). This was so long ago I still carried a star-stamped Banshee in my bag from like 1999. Maybe when BG was brand new? Anyway, always happy to throw with DGCR people who find themselves in greater Kzoo!

Sorry I missed you Ru4por! We were at junior worlds for the week. Some other time, sir. I got to play Blue Gill once, and it was in a foot of snow. Almost tossed that circle-stamp Rhyno that Sgamerp saw at Cold Brook into the pond without knowing it was a pond (being covered in snow and all). This was so long ago I still carried a star-stamped Banshee in my bag from like 1999. Maybe when BG was brand new? Anyway, always happy to throw with DGCR people who find themselves in greater Kzoo!

Guessing that Banshee you referenced
was dx and white...

My favorite Banshee was white and had a Mace Man stamp on it. Man I miss that disc...

Back then my bag was really simple.
Aviar for putt and approach, Lotta Rocs for mids.
Banshee for controlled drives, Whippet for the over-stable lines. Cheetah for distance.

Still have a large bin (dx mostly with large star stamp, 8xKC and even some SE. mostly with small star stamp) of Banshees, unfortunately most are to heavy for me now. My thoughts back then where when I couldn't get my Rocs out to 300' anymore, I would convert to the Banshee...
unfortunately, I would struggle to get 250' with a heavy Banshee now.

mmm...
Maybe there are some beat-up ones in that bin I could try.

The last Banshee that made the starting lineup was red with a white stamp. I never owned a Banshee with the newer artwork on them. They were all late '90s star stamps.

I recently took a white one off the wall and took it with me to my first sanctioned round of the year (a flex start c-tier). When I needed a rally, I took it out and threw it on a few holes! It hadn't been thrown in this century. I wound up birdieing 3 out of 4 going down the stretch and needed an ace on #18 (at Oshtemo's shorts) to tie first place in MA-50. Threw the Banshee. Perfect shape, but 25' deep. Made the putt. Enough winnings to get a shirt from Great Lakes!

Not probably the correct place to ask this, but figured I'd try it out here as it may be the best place. If I'm coming back from Ford Field Area to Grand Rapids what is a recommended course to hit up? It'll be next week Sunday. The only course I've played on the east side really is Kensington Black Locust - Blue.

Not probably the correct place to ask this, but figured I'd try it out here as it may be the best place. If I'm coming back from Ford Field Area to Grand Rapids what is a recommended course to hit up? It'll be next week Sunday. The only course I've played on the east side really is Kensington Black Locust - Blue.

Toboggan is the easy answer. I have been avoiding I-96 like the plague, out near Kensington, due to construction. The companion Black Locust course is an option. If willing to travel I-94 back home, (or even if you still take 96), 36 hole Independence Lakes complex or the 48 hole Hudson Mills complex are excellent choices. Burchfield's 36 holes are another solid choice, near Lansing.

Toboggan is the easy answer. I have been avoiding I-96 like the plague, out near Kensington, due to construction. The companion Black Locust course is an option. If willing to travel I-94 back home, (or even if you still take 96), 36 hole Independence Lakes complex or the 48 hole Hudson Mills complex are excellent choices. Burchfield's 36 holes are another solid choice, near Lansing.

What is the name of Toboggan here? I put that into course name and got nothing back. UDisc makes it seem temporary, so wondering how hard it will be to figure out?

Second Burchfield outside of Lansing recommendation. The Devil's Den course there is a great template for how a disc golf park should be maintained and built by a parks department.

I have played both of these, but for some reason only rated one of them.

What is the name of Toboggan here? I put that into course name and got nothing back. UDisc makes it seem temporary, so wondering how hard it will be to figure out?

I have played both of these, but for some reason only rated one of them.

pine hills in Laingsburg, worth the drive

Last edited: