• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Do you have a recommendation for North or South?

It can depend on the time of day as to which course they'll let you play. Reserve a tee time as far in advance as possible, I'd call them stat if you're looking at next weekend, I'd bet they're already busy so I'd get on that.

Second Burchfield outside of Lansing recommendation. The Devil's Den course there is a great template for how a disc golf park should be maintained and built by a parks department.
Call the park before visiting. We stopped at Burchfield this weekend (played the Beast for the 2nd time on FR). Fully HALF of the baskets on Burchfield have been pulled, no one knew why. What's more insidious is that half are yellow, half are blue, so NONE of the 4 layouts are actually playable at present.

Anyone have more info on this? We plan on getting back to MI in the fall (Toboggan and others). Hated not getting the full Devils's Den experience, one of my top 6 favorite courses.

Call the park before visiting. We stopped at Burchfield this weekend (played the Beast for the 2nd time on FR). Fully HALF of the baskets on Burchfield have been pulled, no one knew why. What's more insidious is that half are yellow, half are blue, so NONE of the 4 layouts are actually playable at present.

Anyone have more info on this? We plan on getting back to MI in the fall (Toboggan and others). Hated not getting the full Devils's Den experience, one of my top 6 favorite courses.
Noooo! That sucks! I wonder what's going on? They have a pretty big A-tier there, the CCR Open...

Apologies if this has been covered but I'm still figuring out how to use this new platform. I'm wanting to play Toboggan for the first time either Aug 9 or 10. Kensington website says it closes from 7/31 to September. Is that truly the case? Think I can squeeze a round in on those dates? Thanks!

Apologies if this has been covered but I'm still figuring out how to use this new platform. I'm wanting to play Toboggan for the first time either Aug 9 or 10. Kensington website says it closes from 7/31 to September. Is that truly the case? Think I can squeeze a round in on those dates? Thanks!
The baskets are pulled in accordance with the information on the Metropark website. In the last couple years the course has been in the ground from USADGC until the end of DGLO. They open it back up for October.

Aug 9th or 10th could see some DGLO traffic, both practicing pros and ams, in town for the event. I suggest getting out there early in the morning and playing with a couple people to help spot and search for discs.

The baskets are pulled in accordance with the information on the Metropark website. In the last couple years the course has been in the ground from USADGC until the end of DGLO. They open it back up for October.

Aug 9th or 10th could see some DGLO traffic, both practicing pros and ams, in town for the event. I suggest getting out there early in the morning and playing with a couple people to help spot and search for discs.
Appreciate the info! I generally assume courses used for big events are closed to the public 5-7 days before the event but this is a bit earlier than that. Hard to imagine that baskets will get pulled on 7/31 and put back in a few weeks later.

I'll give it a go. Worst case I can swing by the other fine courses on site.

This will make the second year that they have also opened the course back up for the Oakland County Championship. Last year they pulled the baskets after DGLO and then reinstalled them about a week before OCC and they remained in until about a month after the event (last year OCC was 9/30-10/2 and I played Toboggan at the end of October).

edit: lol... somehow missed that you noted "They open it back up for October."

Any rumblings about when the course might be installed/playable? I asked the artist of these nine on Facebook and he said he did not know.

Just wondering if I will be able to play it on this year's trip UP there, or if I have to wait till the 2024 edition. :D
I was very happy to close the loop on this one today with the former Artprize sculpture target course now at Marquette Mountain Resort. It's not even on UDisc yet! Marquette Mountain Resort

For this year, it's in a very easy layout not unlike the original experience at Artprize last year. Simple tee signs and open 100' ish holes with the nine sculpture baskets. Resort apparently has future plans to make a more interesting course, and also add nine more baskets.

As is, 100% worth a stop if you are in the area just for the uniqueness and fun factor of throwing at these sculpture baskets.

I suppose I should go up and check it out, seeing as I haven't played either Boulder Alley or the redesigned Al Quaal course yet. I do need to check on the progress of the new Buck Buchanan course going in across the river from Powder Mill. The club has been typically pretty tight lipped about the project so I guess I'll have to check it out in person. The sculpture park is at best a novelty/tiki type course for tourists to play, but it's so cool that it's a definite asset for the disc golf community in Marquette County and beyond.

I suppose I should go up and check it out, seeing as I haven't played either Boulder Alley or the redesigned Al Quaal course yet. I do need to check on the progress of the new Buck Buchanan course going in across the river from Powder Mill. The club has been typically pretty tight lipped about the project so I guess I'll have to check it out in person. The sculpture park is at best a novelty/tiki type course for tourists to play, but it's so cool that it's a definite asset for the disc golf community in Marquette County and beyond.
I am up here for one more day. The weather doesn't look great for today, but perhaps I'll go drive around there at least to see what I can see. The fact that the course doesn't exist yet on UDisc, tells me that it's probably not anywhere close to done.

Edit: Although, I suppose this resort course wasn't on UDisc yet either - which was very surprising to me. I mean, a single practice basket in a guy's backyard is on UDisc from what I can tell.

The rest of the day in Marquette should be fine. I'm not sure why it's not on Udisc yet, although I suspect that no one in Mqt is really excited about a sculpture course at a ski hill with all the courses they have and are building and expanding. Marquette is truly a disc golf destination now and getting better every year.

The rest of the day in Marquette should be fine. I'm not sure why it's not on Udisc yet, although I suspect that no one in Mqt is really excited about a sculpture course at a ski hill with all the courses they have and are building and expanding. Marquette is truly a disc golf destination now and getting better every year.
Heading to Mqt on the way back from Highbridge, in a few weeks. Give me the downlow on the Mqt courses Crip.

Heading to Mqt on the way back from Highbridge, in a few weeks. Give me the downlow on the Mqt courses Crip.
You lucky son of a gun. Shoot me a message on those Marquette date(s), might be down to meet up with you for a day or two. Been dying to get up there myself and looking for an excuse to do it.

Powder Mill and Silver Creek are must plays. Then you have Old Town 27, a great course built in the ruins of old Negaunee after the town was abandoned due to mine collapses, the newly designed Al Quaal 18 which I haven't played yet, Eagle Rock is a fun 9 hole that's worth playing as is the 9 hole at Lake Superior Church. Boulder Alley in Republic is being expanded to 18 holes this year, not sure of the progress there. And an hour south is my home course North Bluff in Gladstone, a 27 hole championship course designed by Eric McCabe.

You lucky son of a gun. Shoot me a message on those Marquette date(s), might be down to meet up with you for a day or two. Been dying to get up there myself and looking for an excuse to do it.
Yeah. My first trip up to Highbridge. The wife is having the kitchen completely redone.....best move is to just get the hell out of town. :rolleyes: We are making the pilgrimage the third week in Sept. I am a couple days from finalizing dates. I will give you a shout. It has been a minute since we got a round in.

Latest posts