• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid Range Question

pask2155

Eagle Member
I'm looking for a beginner midrange disc... I don't have a ton of power with midrange because when I do I get very inaccurate... So what's a very straight midrange disc that will go the furthest with little power? Also what weight generally is best for midranges?

I disagree with the idea that new players want light discs all the time. I would say it depends on how strong and athletic you are to begin with. For my wife, I'd probably get in the mid-160's, but that's not what I'd recommend for someone my size. I think a Comet is a good suggestion, but I think the have to assess your natural ability first. If you are a small guy, you might go down to 170g, but I'd recommend a Comet in the mid to upper 170's if you have a sports background of any kind.

I vote for a Discraft Buzzz. Seems to handle low power well, goes pretty straight and far. For Innova, I have decent luck starting out with a Shark.

I like midranges in low 170s weights, especially if you aren't throwing them at full power.

Not sure the Comet would be a good disc to start out with. It's famous for showing you all the things you're doing wrong with your form, which is great on the practice field, but very frustrating on the course. Stick with a Buzzz for now.

i have seen alot of new players recently have good success with the wedge.

While I use it now as my straightest mid, as a beginner I couldn't get a Buzzz straight nor has any beginner I've ever handed it to. I can't explain why not. I instead got my dad a Mako for Christmas and it is the only disc he can throw straight.

So what I'm gathering is a comet is to advanced for a beginner? And so are buzzes?

174 X Buzzz was the second mid I ever bought, Z Comet was the first. I've tested a number of mids but I've come back to Buzzzes.

Get a X Buzzz and after half of season of trees it'll be easier to turnover to the right at which time add a Z Buzzz to your bag for stable shots in a color you like as you'll be throwing it for a long time. I agree with finding the weight that works for you talk mentioned earlier.

If the money isn't burning a hole in your wallet, go to the local league(s) or courses, play with better players, ask/beg/pay to throw their plastic and get a feel for something you like before spending $20 on a potential dog bowl.

pask2155 said:
So what I'm gathering is a comet is to advanced for a beginner? And so are buzzes?

Are Buzzzes and Comets too advanced for a beginner to learn with? Not at all. When pask2155 learns to throw them flat and straight he becomes a much better player by doing so.

In a weird way a disc can teach the game to a player. Even without a veteran player giving tips, if a beginner takes a Buzzz out to a field and only tries to throw flat and straight ( not far, not on a particular line, just flat and straight) and makes adjustments until he does so, he will learn the correct angle of release. The disc does not lie. Watch what it does and it will tell you how you released it.

Whatever form you use to make a disc go flat and straight is an effective form.

Buzzz ain't a difficult disc to learn with quite the opposite because it is so forgiving. In fact for quickness of learning it is too forgiving if it ain't a Pro D one that breaks into flippy soon on hard surfaces. The Buzzz sure is a lot less aggravating to learn with than the Comet.

shark.

buzzzes are alright but have a lot of LSS due to being faster so I don't know if that would be ideal. Maybe an X buzzz but def not a Z.

Z will break in while he is learning and at first FH is easier to master with the more forgiving Z than the X or ESP. But if grip is an issue the ESP and X are good choices too but not as forgiving. Shark sucks for winds and definitely is ole teknology in flipping too much and fading too much for a mid. You can manipulate the flight paths fine with the Buzzz even in Z although straight shots for a new player is a problem and that is of course the domain of putter drives. Another great teacher so that is why one could do with a Buzzz. Lets face it to motivate people new players need easy to throw discs. If you wanna keep people out of the game their bag should be Epic, Optimizer and Comet with a lid thrown in as long as it ain't a Rattler or a Zephyr possibly Ultra-Star too.

I don't think you know how to throw a shark man. They are pretty laser straight and can handle some wind. They are slower than buzzzes so they take less power to get going which is nice for newer players.

So what I am hearing is buzz is a good choice. The comet is for more skilled players. But where does the buzz ss come in at? Maybe that might be a good choice? But if so what's the difference between that and the comet. Both have a rating of 0 turn

Throw faster Frank and you'll see :) I have thrown one successfully and thought there are so many so much better mids out there. The Shark is a moderate disc so not totally useless but you can do so much better than it. Of course it is a matter of preference but i'd rather throw something that is a) the longer more HSS lower power requirement Coyote than the Shark or b) something that is more generally usable and something you won't grow out of like the Buzzz. The Shark ain't good in the winds so it does not meet the all round use requirement of mine and when you use discs that you can use successfully throughout your career (Buzzz) you have a measure of your progress. And i still stick to my guns with the ease of sidearming the Buzzz vs the Shark and won't budge. No sir, nope, uh aa.

I agree about the lower power requirement for the Shark vs the Buzzz but my point is to throw a putter for straight shots. Those have even lower power requirement than the Shark. If one wants to throw a straighter mid than primo Buzzzes when being a new player i'd say the Coyote for longer usability during your progress than the instant gratification Warship are better than the Shark which falls under the instant gratification title too. The Shark was obsolete after the Coyote was introduced. Now it's ancient legacy like model T Ford.

The Star Shark i used was flippy when new just like a Coyote. The Shark i had would turn with less power than the Coyote. I think the Shark turned at around 240' and the Coyote turns at 310'+. Of course there is over a year between throwing the Shark and the Coyote. The telling part is i donated the Shark and bag the Coyote. Wind performance for me is equal to the turning distances. If the wind ain't front quarter i have no problems with the Coyote in moderate winds. Even storm winds from the rear aren't a problem for the Coyote.

Latest posts