• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minnesota Courses

I don't see the p2p at Kaposia as money spent towards the course, I feel it is money spent towards keeping the unwashed masses out of my fairway.

I agree with this, it was absolutely packed this weekend, 2 group lines every hole

As much as I LOVE the Valley, and think BRP is horribly overrated, I disagree. If you have a decent arm (400'+) and throw RHBH, you can skip a lot of the lines by playing hyzer routes all day long. Holes 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 11 (if you're Cale Leviska) all let you skip out on the fairway and pump a big hyzer around the obstaclesl While there are some VERY fun holes there, I'd say it's just under difficulty factor of BRP.

That said, I think BRP has a few holes that are a bit dirty and lucky. I know some people say that there's no such thing as lucky holes, that lots of trees on the fairway just add to the difficulty and if you took them away the hole would be too easy. I guess I just think that if that's the only reason to keep a tree, that's a poorly designed hole. I agree that if you only play there a handful of times a year, it's a sweet course, but I could see how if you lived nearby and hit it up a lot, it doesn't really offer much in terms of interesting holes.

I think I am going to also back up Kaposia as top course in the twin cities, and probably Crown for outside. Kaposia has very interesting lines, a decent amount of elevation change, and is very challenging in the right ways. I am overlooking the fact that it's in dire need of some tender loving care as far as upkeep goes, though, and voting for it purely on terms of what it offers me as a player.

Since my arm maxes out at about 300' on a good day I have no idea what those lines you talk about are. :)

Volunteers did not put in the stairs or the pads on 10 and 17 did they? I will P2P for the same reason as you MN.

If you are talking about the new stairwell going down to the stream by winter #17 then yes, volunteers built the stairs. It was some conservation group. In fact I don't think Snelson had anything to do with it.

If you are talking about the new stairwell going down to the stream by winter #17 then yes, volunteers built the stairs. It was some conservation group. In fact I don't think Snelson had anything to do with it.

Thats cool, he never told me he did I just thought it was the city. My guess would be the city had something to do with it and maybe helped with the cost but I could be wrong.

Do you know who did the pad on hole 10? That pad is sick... I want them all to be like that

Thats cool, he never told me he did I just thought it was the city. My guess would be the city had something to do with it and maybe helped with the cost but I could be wrong.

Do you know who did the pad on hole 10? That pad is sick... I want them all to be like that

I believe Snelson organized volunteers to lay that pad. It is nice, but I prefer uniform pad lengths and I extra hate the runway long pads ala bryant.

At least Crown College put in a shorter configuration because their long (goldish) layout doesn't seem to be as much fun for many players (considering it's at a college). Elm Creek might be decent for many more players if it had a set of white level tees.

Elm Creek needs a wider variety of shots. Shortening up the course really does not do much. Holes 1-3 would be basically the same, you cannot shorten up 4, Hole 5 would be one right turn instead of two, Holes 6-8 would be the same, where can you go on 9?, Hole 10 would be different, but Hole 11 is back to only chopping off distance, Hole 12 becomes non-descript if the tee were anywhere where it is not now, Hole 13 would be a positive change by making it easier to park during windy conditions, Hole 14 definitely could use a shorter spot, Hole 15 and 16 really have no where you can do, Hole 17 would cut down on shots skirting the junk on the right, but can do you do to Hole 18?

Where can Elm Creek go? There is some area around the stream off the hill on Hole 12, but it gets a little wet after it rains a lot. There is a little forest to play with on the right of Hole 14 as well as a little more forest on the left of Hole 3. The problem is it is a park reserve and they would prefer not to intrude on the forest.

What I would like to see, moving the existing tees instead of adding new ones, is to redirect Hole 3 into the forest on the left instead of going up the hill (you could even put the basket near the hill's dropoff and make it a right turn to get to the basket from the tee), chop off a little distance on 8 and 11, have 12's tee drive down into the stream area (requiring a fairway to be cut into that tree line that is current the left side of Hole 12 fairway), have a tee go back up the short hill toward the current Hole 12 basket, move the tee pad on 17 forward by 15 feet but then shift left by 10 feet (to accomodate a better hyzer line), and then move Hole 18's basket closer to the crest of the hill (as it sits now, once you are on top, you have no worries).

With this Elm Creek is less about distance, hopefully making it more enjoyable for a variety.

My MN top 25ish in no particular order:

Kaposia
Hidden Lake
Millstream
Lakewood
Oakwood
Bryant
Plymouth Creek
Maiden Shade
Giants Ridge
Alimagnet
North Hibbing
Cedar Creek (East and West)
St Marys
Todd Park
Bancroft (Current 27 holes, new 18 will blow them out of the water)
Bear Cave
Twin Creeks
Riverside
Becker
Sportsmans Hill
The Valley
Acorn
Ham Lake
CP Adams

Last edited:
Hah, good catch - I swore I wrote it... BRP does belong on that list.

Drop CP Adams in place of BRP.

Without the OBs CP Adams is too open. With the OBs it becomes a frustrating mess, at least when you are trying to compete against those who were lucky enough to not hit them as much as you are.

Without the OBs CP Adams is too open. With the OBs it becomes a frustrating mess, at least when you are trying to compete against those who were lucky enough to not hit them as much as you are.

Good time for winter rules! (no strokes for OB!)

Here's another head scratcher...the OB rules at the Valley. Tees #1 and 16 are OB since they are on or across the path, and therefore everyone gets a stance violation for throwing from OB.

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
***(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds

Here's another head scratcher...the OB rules at the Valley. Tees #1 and 16 are OB since they are on or across the path, and therefore everyone gets a stance violation for throwing from OB.

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
***(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds

Semantics. Why can't a tee pad be an in-bounds island ?

When I am playing with people that can't play very well I usually take them to an easier course like Acorn or Bryant Lake. I consider them pretty equal in terms of difficulty. If the person I am going to play with is better, then I prefer Kaposia, BRP, or The Valley. Hidden Lake just seems too sadistic. In five years when it gets more stomped down and if it isn't flooded I will love it.

Hidden Lake DGC in St Augusta - pack a lunch for the round and enjoy. Fantastic course, was a little rough around the edges (as of Aug./2011) but, regardless, a must play. Some good reviews at:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3382

Just visited Hidden Lake for the first time last Thursday! Man what a nice course and great score cards! Better than most ball golf courses-and the tar path around the lake was really nice! Great course and quiet and uncrowded!

Not as a a couple days ago. The city did order the new baskets though.