• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minnesota winters

MNthrow

Par Member
So I've played for a while, but I never play in winter up here in Minnesota. Anyone have tips for the best courses to play at year round? I'm not afraid of a little driving either. I'm in Burnsville, MN.

BRP tees are shoveled and salted, even the fairways are plowed. Kaposia and the Valley both have winter leagues so tees are usually in good shape.

Plymouth sees a lot of traffic and usually has a winter league. WW during the winter has a rotation of smaller courses and thus shovels them on occassion. As for the larger courses, the best have already been listed. Not sure about the Burnsville area but traditionally the leagues out there do a good job. I would be interested in hearing whether Kenwood Trails will remain open during the winter or not.

Kenwood will stay in the ground but the X-Country ski team will use some of the trails if the snow cover gets good enough this year.

This South Carolinian just stumbled into this thread, and now I can't stop shivering.

I've got my longjohns on today as I type this.

I was all set to play today but those who were going to play with me crapped out. I had two layers for pants (warm-up pants over pajama pants), a t-shirt, long shirt, and two hoodies. That is usually good enough to go for me.

6744595861_1ca63e124b.jpg

It was not quite this bad yet, but this is my worse-case-scenario Winter Carnival/ Ice Bowl getup. I will put on the florescent t-shirt for the marathon overnight rounds.

need helpful information from all disc golfers!!

hello disc heads!! i need some help finding a disc golf course located on a VFW(veterans of foreign war) park, we have an excellent location to set up a course in Viroqua Wisconsin with a lot of potential. All i need is some example courses to use as ammo when we meet with the park owners to discuss our plan, any info would be greatly appreciated on the developing of our first course right here in town. thank you!!:thmbup:

I've got my longjohns on today as I type this.

Ya'll have my respect and sympathy.

Silly me, I thought this was a thread about escaping Minnesota winters.

I keep reading about people playing in the snow and subfreezing cold, and eventually I'm going to believe it. But "tees shoveled and salted and fairways plowed?" Things I never associated with disc golf!

It'll be sweet when all the water is frozen! They actually put baskets out on the lake here for the winter season, makes Wakanda Park a 21 holer instead of 18. Of course the 3 extra holes won't be too challenging since they're on flat ice with no trees in the way, but... :clap:

I'v got my waterprrof hunting boots ready and my tree stand gear cleaned and ready for the snow to come.

We were playing in T-Shirts 2 days ago, now 5 inches of snow on the ground and a high of 15 today!

I'll probably get out later this week when I have time off-

Most of the courses in the metro get shoveled and/or trampled relatively quickly. Acorn, Kaposia, Valley, and Lakewood all played nicely last winter and have leagues that groom them a little bit. BRP is clearly the best, but that's a long drive for you. Worth it if you have the time on a nice day.

As long as you maintain a good pace, trekking through snow will keep you really warm without much extra clothing. This is especially true for spacious courses. Big fairways don't get trampled down very uniformly and walking a long course through deep snow will generate a ton of heat. I usually bring an extra pair of socks and boots for the drive home in case my feet are soaked.

Generally speaking though, just play wherever you normally play. Consider bringing a shovel if it's snowed recently. Trampling snow down on the tee pads makes them extra slick and causes problems for anyone else who might want to clean the tees.

Consider bringing a shovel if it's snowed recently. Trampling snow down on the tee pads makes them extra slick and causes problems for anyone else who might want to clean the tees.

I'll second this, nothing worse than icy, lumpy pads.

They close our only course here for the winter :( So I am stuck driving 110 miles to the next course that stays open or 250 miles to BRP.