• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] "Modern Day" Hornet?

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
The seemingly never-ending search for the perfect OS, but not *too* OS, mid continues...

The Hornet sounds like just what I'm looking for - no bead, good glide, OS without being too OS. But, alas, they're hard to find in anything but Ledgestone, max weight editions.

Is there a readily available disc that compares?

I'm currently bagging a Vapor Method in this spot. It has very nice glide and decent HSS, but it's not all that LSS (I'd give it a 2 Fade at best) and it has a bead. I'm looking for something with the same nice glide, but a bit more Fade (although still a pushing fade vs a dumpy fade) and no bead.

Last edited:
I have a Big Z BuzzOS. Maybe mine is an anomaly, but... It doesn't have very good glide and dumps pretty hard once it slows down. It feels OK, it's just much shorter than my other mids.

Have you tried a DGA Quake? Feels pretty close to a Buzzz and is overstable while still having some legs.

I have not, but I am interested. The 3 Glide rating has me nervous, but I know flight numbers are just a rough guide. OTB has the following versions in the weight range I like:

ProLine in "(2) Pretty Flat" "(6) Pretty Stiff"

SP Line in "(1) Very Flat" "(5) Somewhat Stiff"

Noah Meintsma ProLine Swirl in "(2) Pretty Flat" "(4) Stiffness"

I've heard that dome on a Quake reduces stability, but there's not much difference between a (1) and a (2) dome rating on OTB. I'm also concerned that less dome will mean less glide. I also generally like less stiff discs. Seems like the Noah version would be the best choice for me. Not sure if the ProLine swirl adds some extra stability, though...

Any help?

I have not, but I am interested. The 3 Glide rating has me nervous, but I know flight numbers are just a rough guide. OTB has the following versions in the weight range I like:

I've heard that dome on a Quake reduces stability, but there's not much difference between a (1) and a (2) dome rating on OTB. I'm also concerned that less dome will mean less glide. I also generally like less stiff discs. Seems like the Noah version would be the best choice for me. Not sure if the ProLine swirl adds some extra stability, though...

Any help?
I've only thrown SP Quakes so I'll defer to the Quake experts on that one. I'd probably pick which plastic type you prefer for feel- SP/Z, PL/ESP, ProLine Swirl/ESP Swirl?- and go with that.

Any help?
If you're looking for something like a hornet, a stock SP line that is 'pretty flat' would probably be right about the sweet spot. Flat prolines are really overstable. Haven't thrown a proline swirl so can't commnent on those.

I echo the sentiments of the SP Quake. Good glide for an overstable mid with reliable fade as well.
I have a Big Z BuzzOS. Maybe mine is an anomaly, but... It doesn't have very good glide and dumps pretty hard once it slows down. It feels OK, it's just much shorter than my other mids.
My only Big Z Buzzz OS has the same characteristics as what you described. Not a very helpful disc.

Oh, I know this one. I switched from these a long time ago.

The Hornet is awesome and they should make more of it, but the availability since it was 'discontinued' is pretty bad.

I would suggest the Dynamic Discs Verdict or Millennium Solstice. They are beadless or unnoticeable microbeaded, and have OS but not super OS flight similar to a Hornet.

You could also try an Emac Truth, which is pretty HSS, not very LSS but has very forward fade.

Does Discraft make a Wasp still? I would Like to say this mold is like a better glide ROC disc with less end of flight drop from sky as soon as discs spin slows down on the ROC, it drops from the sky.

Sure mold has a big bead but is way more comfortable then a ROC due to a slightly wider rim width.

Wasp availability has come and gone, but it looks like its an Adam Hammes signature disc now so its in production right now.

I agree, the Wasp always felt less wrong than a Roc (...my extreme bias against beads.)

I find Reactors to be very Wasp-ish so that's another option. The beefy ones have solid LSS, but my Quake is definitely an extra step more overstable. Depends on what OP is looking for.

Does Discraft make a Wasp still? I would Like to say this mold is like a better glide ROC disc with less end of flight drop from sky as soon as discs spin slows down on the ROC, it drops from the sky.

Sure mold has a big bead but is way more comfortable then a ROC due to a slightly wider rim width.
Nebula power.

I ended up ordering an SP Line Quake with a "(2) Pretty Flat" dome rating from OTB. It always gets recommended in the OS mid threads (along with the Pyro & Bobcat), so maybe it'll be the one... 😂🤣😂🤣😂

To answer some of the previous questions...

I have a Clemonade Lucid Verdict. I like the feel (like an Emac), but I've had it turn over a few times into a headwind, so I don't trust it. I also have a Lucid Emac Truth. Mines straight, with a little turn & a little fade. Definitely flies more like a -1/1 than a 0/2.

I also have an Eclipse 2.0 Elaine King Reactor. It has good HSS, but not much fade. It's also less forgiving, losing significant distance if I don't get enough snap.