• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

modifying Lamar Park Wyoming, Mi

rshrevo

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have been talking to some disc golfers and they say that they are planning on modifying the holes in Lamar Park. From what i hear they are taking out the first three holes due to pedestrian and picnickers possibly being in harms way. From what i understand they may extend past the 9th hole a few holes. They may cut the 600 ft 7th hole in half. I am hearing that the new first hole will be number 4. If i hear more i will let everyone know. or if anyone else hears something different let me know.

I have been talking to some disc golfers and they say that they are planning on modifying the holes in Lamar Park. From what i hear they are taking out the first three holes due to pedestrian and picnickers possibly being in harms way. From what i understand they may extend past the 9th hole a few holes. They may cut the 600 ft 7th hole in half. I am hearing that the new first hole will be number 4. If i hear more i will let everyone know. or if anyone else hears something different let me know.

It's my home course as it's only about a mile away from where I work. That being said, I'm still angry at them for cutting the tree down by the pond on hole #9. Haven't really been back there since that happened. I won't miss hole #1 or #2, but I'll be sad to see #3 go. Lots of risk reward on that hole due to the water.

tree removal

i played about a day or two after they cut the tree on hole 9 down. The logs were still there and my friend and I determined that if they hadn't of cut it down it would have fell over in the next big storm or possibly on somebody. The whole trunk of the tree was rotted right out. so cutting it down was in everyone's best interest.

I'll be sad to see #3 go. Lots of risk reward on that hole due to the water.

yeah keep three.... number nine is waaaayyy too easy now, but i know that tree was going into the pond the first big storm this summer... seven is a stupid hole any way and there is plenty of "other" space in this park to add holes... ( i never understood why they don t have eighteen here)...

ps even if they do improve this course until the city gets rid of those roaming packs of teenagers with NO etiquette throwing discs at you while you are trying to putt then i would be hard pressed to come back that course, even if it only is a ten min drive for me...

course upgrade rumor

I was talking to some other players at lamar (a couple of weeks before the snow started flying) and heard some interesting news not sure how reliable but still wanted to post about it. They were saying not only are they planning on moving the first three holes but that they already have 9 more baskets currently in storage and have plans to extend the course to 18 holes. from what they were saying they are more then likely going to put the baskets around the back of the park near the soccer fields with a couple of them involving the tree line near the freeway exit. would be cool if they do make it 18 and hopefully loop it back closer to hole 1 then the current 9 hole course.

Lamar is a fun little park, I like it early in the morning or in the spring/fall season when its not busy. The summer gets way too busy. The first few holes will be unplayable on most summer days due to picnickers and kids playing around the creek. If Lamar was 18 holes and re-designed it might be a more desirable park to play. As it is right now theres just not much to offer for the experienced disc golfer. It has 8 pretty short/easy holes around 300 feet each with very few obstacles to contend with. The only hole that has bogey potential for me is #7, and thats from sheer length and a narrow fairway (no trees or obstacles). I normally end up around -3/-4 at Lamar.

I definitely think Lamar should move some teepads so that you will have to drive over the ponds, or take a safety throw around them. The design is pretty crappy there, and its not because they dont have land to use, its because the parks dept doesn't use the ponds or the land very well at all. Lamar could be much better if a good course designer re-designed it. Also 9 holes is kind of a stupid layout when you have a huge piece of land that the park isn't even using.

Figured I would bump this as I have seen a very slight amount of work out there.

Hole 7 has been dramatically shortened. A 3 is now easily attainable, especially for the big arms.

Anyone know if any further discussion has taken place regarding this park and whether or not it will be improved/expanded?

don't know of anything further about any changes but the reason hole 7 was shortened was because of the neighbors on porter complaining of discs landing in their front yards due to people trying to avoid landing in the ball field.

Latest posts