• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Modifying your Instep

^^^ looks good, thanks for pics ... what it set you back? what size and how much chain? im going to try and do this same thing in next week or so
I followed the instructions in this thread on the PDGA forum:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=19430

The pictures have since fallen off that thread, but IIRC the price I paid for supplies / chains at Home Depot was close to the quoted $25.

^^^^ awesome yeah i was checking that thread out too ... your pics will make it lil easier but directions seemed pretty easy already

Will be adding new chains come next payday! Can't wait, already pleasantly surprised with this basket.

added the new chains yesterday. Cost about $26, took about 15 min as described. It was well worth it too!
chains1.JPG

chains2.JPG

chains3.JPG

added the new chains yesterday. Cost about $26, took about 15 min as described. It was well worth it too!
It will catch a bit better if you connect the outer chains to a smaller diameter inner ring, and the inner chains to a larger diameter outer ring.

lookin great folks!! just a little commentary... it seems like those insteps are much larger than a normal basket.. is it just me?

where is the best place to find those rings?
I got my 3" and 7" rings at Michael's (craft store) in the Leather Working section:
http://www.michaels.com/Metal-Hoops...4&cgid=products-generalcrafts-leathercrafting

lookin great folks!! just a little commentary... it seems like those insteps are much larger than a normal basket.. is it just me?
You can compare basket sizes on the chart the PDGA has for approved targets:
http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-targets-pdf

It will catch a bit better if you connect the outer chains to a smaller diameter inner ring, and the inner chains to a larger diameter outer ring.

Just spent about 30 minutes redoing the chains with your tip. It was catching great. Thanks

I actually used a piece of chain as the "circle" connecting my extra sets of chains at the bottom since I didn't find any 7" ish rings around here. If I remember I'll take a picture of the finished product this weekend.

Here's a great little tool for opening "S" hooks, btw. I just did a google search for chain opening tool and found what I used right away. It was really cheap, and is a major time saving tool if you're connecting chains with S-Hooks.

picture.php

One of my Sextuplets

Here are some pics of my mods. Upper chains with S-Hooks, a couple of the lower chain connections and the total package. I had forgotten that the Instep baskets themselves use a piece of chain to connect the 14 outer chains at the bottom.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

You guys need two things. One foot of quarter round, one baseball bat. These two things make the ring you want :thmbup:

My mod works great if you own snow chains but don't really use them much.

1 Package of zip ties
1 Snow Chains

Attach the chains with the zip ties and BOOM catches like no other basket! Talk about eliminating cut-throughs. The snow chains add some weight too.

Side Note : If you own a discatcher sport you can literally stack it on top of the instep. The flag pole will hold it up there for you. Really cool if you need to practice putting with elevation. Try that for a modification.:thmbup:

Did you mount that into another bigger post in the ground? What size?

Nope. I just use tent stakes to hold the standard base in place and added some mulch for a "finished" look. Nice to know that my little plan apparently worked.

Sorry that I'm no actual help regarding your question.