• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Molds you tried this year that made the bag, and those that didn't.

Made the cut:
Star Tern
Volt (So nice, I love this disc)
Predator (Why didn't I make the switch sooner?!)

Cut from the starting line up:
Striker
Firebird
Destroyer

Made the bag as a utility disc -Scale
Make the bag as my main putter replacing a Wizard - Kastaplast Reko

Well, a bit early in the year for this... (especially with the "Spring" Michigan has had)

Made: Discmania CD2, Prodigy A3

Didn't: Discmania FD, Discmania MD2, Discmania P2, Innova Nova, Millennium Astra, Millennium Polaris LS, Westside Longbowman, DD EMac Truth

I usually only try much new stuff at the very beginning of the season then special cases throughout the season. I don't want to be swapping discs and learning new lines during tourney time.

Gave a Judge and Warlock a spin. Didn't work for me. Gone from a driving and putting Aviars to Ion/Wizard combo.. for now and I don't see that changing any time soon. Tried a Neutron Volt, but don't really have a spot for it. I'm not ditching Teebirds and I throw a Thunderbird occasionally too.

Made the bag:

Servo - I gave this one a try because of how much I like the Resistor. I am completely in love with this mold. Had to take out the Stalker which had been in my bag for a few years. This was big change but the Servo is so much better.

Buzzz - I had the Buzzz in my bag for a few years but took it out a while back. When I started using a Comet I convinved myself that they were too similar but they're really not at all. Back in the bag as my main stable mid. I never realized what a joy it was to use this on long stable hyzers.

Tried but didn't make the bag:

Vector - This was meant to replace my Wasps. I don't like beaded discs (I don't mind the Comet's micro-bead) and just couldn't get comfortable throwing it regularly. My heavy Buzzzes (175g Glow Z & 178g ESP) are stable enough.

Motion - I wanted to test this against my Firebird and Crush. Just didn't like the feel of it. Reminded me of the Predator because of how tall it was. Bottom lip of the disc felt like it was scraping my index finger.

Over the winter I worked on form, and also worked on throwing putters.

Made the bag: Classic (hard) Warden, Opto Pure, Lucid Judge, M4. Star Colt and Star Stud, of course.

Still working with: Supersoft Wizard, BigBead Aviar Driver, C-Line P3 (for windy weather), Proxy, Envy. Also Star Teebird in windy weather, and starting to like it... a lot.

Out of bag: Ti FLX Challenger (FLX too soft), Reko, Insanity, Blizzard Dominator (don't ask), Impulse (lost in lake).

On order: S-Line P2, the last test.

The more new discs I try the more I like the ones I already had.

C-FD2 was the worst disc I've thrown in a long time.

C-CD2 is OK but I'm not going to bag it

C-TD and C-FD have a chance

C-FD3 went right in the bag

Winter is also my disc tryout time. Not a good idea to mess around with the bag mid-season!

Made the bag:
Sea Foam Fossil Fuel Scale
Sparkle Nemesis
Sparkle Outlaw
1st Run Pinnacle Outlaw

Tried but didn't make the bag:
Legend Outlaw
XT Nova
Legend Hunter
Icon Prowler
Classic Warden

I went through a brief putter crisis before realizing I'm good with my Wizard/Scale lineup. I'm not going to find anything better. It's all in my head.

Made the bag:
- Longbowman

Tried but didn't make it:
- Compass
- Gauntlet
- Culverin

Legacy Phenom

Really like the Patriot, so I got a faster version in the Phenom. I like it pretty well in general, but mainly because on one hole, that I've only ever had a birdiable drive on once before, I parked once and had 3 birdie attempts with the Phenom. It is a sharp right turn over a hill and between trees (Hole 18 at Dela in the positions to the right).

That alone keeps the Phenom in my bag. Great turnover disc for me.

In :
Catapult
Destiny
Pure (I know, late to the party)
Colossus (finally found a D driver that I like for forehands)

Out :
Fury
Elasto Moonshine anything (way US)

Haven't even considered any new molds for the bag this year. It feels good to be comfy.
Pretty much this. I'm very comfortable & confident in my bag. My core bag hasn't changed in quite some time & I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Champion Dart - I throw one in my bag on short courses. It's a great tweener disc. It fits nicely between my Aviars & Rocs. It isn't apart of my core bag though. I only use it on courses that are short enough for me to pull my Destroyers out of my bag. Then I have room for a Dart & a couple more Aviars or Rocs. Plus I enjoy the fact that I rarely see anyone besides myself bag a Champion Dart.

Made:
Goldline Cutlass
opto Claymore
Icon Ghost
Sparkle Nemesis
PD

Didn't make it:
Compass
Ballista
Thunderbird
Teebird

I really like the Goldline cutlass, its a little more stable than the opto but has the same glide. It is like a pmb star destroyer. Claymore is awesome, best hyzerflip mid range ever.

Gotta say the Champ Colossus is making the bag as my wide open Forehand DD; Torrent made it as my backhand DD.

I now have to decide what to do with the Forces, Nukes, and Quasars that are still in the bag taking up space and adding weight.

New to my bag:
VIP Shield - Drives and approaches
ESP Zone - Drives and approaches
S-Line FD - I love how glidey and straight it is and how easy it is to throw.
Star X-Caliber - Headwind? What headwind? Never turns, always fades.
Star Destroyer - Dependable driver
VIP Sorcerer - Hyzer-flip and anny for days and days even at less than full power.
400g D3 - Great control.

Latest posts