• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mosquito Repellent

Wow, $40 with the belt holder. I hope it works for that price.

its got a 15' diameter just put it in your bag (on top of course) and it should still protect you....sounds like a neat device..ill try the dryer sheet...worst thing to deal with is bugs flying around your face when your trying to putt or drive...breaks my concentration and pisses me off lol

For a spray-type, I use 3M Ultrathon 8-Hour (25% DEET) -- works great for me. I also go on our state's wildlife/hunting/fishing forums, and many people there talk about dusting their clothes with permethrin (sp?) for ticks, or using a permethrin-based spray. DEET is a repellent; permethrin actually kills the suckers (but is non-toxic to us in the concentrations in the products). Permethrin is only supposed to be applied to materials and equipment, though (pants, sleeping bags, tents, DG bags, etc.) -- not to skin.

They also swear by the ThermaCell -- they say turn that sucker on, and the skeeters clear out.

Thanks for the info about DEET. I will watch out for products with too much of that.
Ha, I think I'm seriously going to try a dryer sheet first before I go buy some bug juice

Products with DEET in them can't be horribly bad for you. If so, they wouldn't put it in the repellent. I hate bug spray so I may try the dryer sheet this summer. The Thermacell sounds like an interesting product. Like mmyersdisc said, there's nothing worse than those little bugs flying around in your face while you're trying to concentrate on a putt or a drive.

Dryer sheets = BUENO!

Found in almost every home, easy to use, easy to carry, easy to dispose of when no longer functional. And they're cheap too!

Bring extras to the tourney and you'll be the HERO of the DAY!!

The mosquitoes became very bad last summer after some serious rain and flooding. I was playing League one evening and one fellow in our group was really getting bit hard. Totally throwing his game off. On #14 he had a 12' birdie putt, but it was from a bush just on the edge of the woods. The mosquitoes were just flocking around his face and of course he missed it. He's kinda a hot head to begin with and that missed putt didn't help.

At the tee on #15 he announced to the group that if anyone threw into the woods, he was not going to help look. Silence. Of course his tee shot went in the woods. 3 of us stood out in the fairway trying to keep straight faces when he went in there by himself.

The mosquitoes became very bad last summer after some serious rain and flooding. I was playing League one evening and one fellow in our group was really getting bit hard. Totally throwing his game off. On #14 he had a 12' birdie putt, but it was from a bush just on the edge of the woods. The mosquitoes were just flocking around his face and of course he missed it. He's kinda a hot head to begin with and that missed putt didn't help.

At the tee on #15 he announced to the group that if anyone threw into the woods, he was not going to help look. Silence. Of course his tee shot went in the woods. 3 of us stood out in the fairway trying to keep straight faces when he went in there by himself.

What are the chances??? Ha Ha, that is funny!!!

I usually carry a boom box and blast some Jonas Brothers or Kanye West, that seems to keep the skeeters away.

We have mosquitos but they have been less of an issue the last few years because of West Nile.

They spray pretty darn heavy down here... I have seen a four wheeler pulling a fogger thru our course in past years.

I usually carry a boom box and blast some Jonas Brothers or Kanye West, that seems to keep the skeeters away.

That's also a great way to have the whole course to yourself. I know if I heard that blaring, I would be running for the motorcycle, and I would be clearing the parking lot before I even got the kick stand up.

Deet: Don't drink it, it'll kill ya. Don't go to bed with it on, you can get a rash. Take a shower after you're done using it. Don't use it if you're pregnant.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultations/deet/health-effects.html

I'm allergic to DEET. Using it makes my skin get inflamed, burn and itch like crazy. If anyone else is looking for an alternative, try to find PICARIDIN. You can find some bug sprays with PICARIDIN at walmart, one brand is Cutter Advanced.

I've used Cutter Advanced a lot and am very happy with it. Low odor, doesn't feel oily or greasy, doesn't reach with synthetics. It works great, so I'll probably find out in ten years it causes cancer.

Cutter also makes a Lemon Eucalyptus natural products repellent that I haven't tried.

Cutter brand repellants are some of the best out there. Works very well for me. Some sun blocks seem to keep the mosquitos and other pests away too. Cutter + sun block = One happy disc golfer with no bugs and no sunburn.

DEET stings. Not too sure it is wise to use.... sure it works, but wow...
feels like agent orange in a can.

Fabric softener like Bounce really gets the black love bugs off vehicles. I'll see if it repels mosquitoes in SW Louisiana. We have so many varieties, sizes, and speeds it is mind-boggling.

Don't wear black. Mosquitoes love dark clothing. That's why Johnny Cash was so miserable all the time.

I use the orange can of Off. I think it's a Sports variety. It works pretty well and doesn't reek.

Me too, and i actually like the smell. Continues working even if you are sweating.

Deet works well, but i never put it directly on my skin, always put it on a bandanna then rub it on my clothes and hat.

I have a Boston Terrier and in the last two weeks I have had to remove two ticks from her bunghole. Just thought I'd share. Thanks for your time.

As far as mosquitos are concerned, I eat alot of onions which contain sulfur. Apparently if you eat enough onions the mosquitos will leave you alone because they don't like sulfur because when everyone around me is getting "ate up" by mosquitos I will only get bitten by one or two.

Latest posts