• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most days without a lost disc?

Made this Champ Orc last night, lost it at Black Locust today :(

216514_981527244580_20915411_45597232_5103437_n.jpg

I've only lost three in the last 6 years since I started playing regularly. Most recent one just disappeared into a tree pretty high up about 240 feet away in a grove of oak trees. I searched for 30 minutes with a buddy, but to no avail. Searched in the trees (climbed up one of them) and all around a 40 yard radius...nothing. Other two were in Stafford Lake. Went later in the year when it dried up, but someone had already been there.

Only reason I haven't lost more is I don't play any courses with water very often, and I am relentless about searching for them until I find them. It becomes a challenge, a very annoying one sometimes, but with a satisfying payoff.

Tim S.

Its been awhile and I'm probably jinxing it buy simply replying owell. Cheers

Not losing a disc for a long time says more about the courses you are playing then your skill.

Other than the five or six I lost in two rounds at Cliff Stephens in 2004, I've only lost two or three in 18 years. The last was at the aforementioned nightmare of a course, which, if I remember correctly, was 60% land, 38% water and 2% alligators. And I met Climo there. I had just pulled in to the parking lot and was walking toward a picnic table, he was walking from the picnic table to his car, I said "Hi Kenny.", he said "Hi." and that was it. 136th best moment of my life.

cjskier makes a good point, if you 1) play short courses with little water or undergrowth, 2) don't play much in the winter or at night, 3) choose brightly colored discs, not silly brown/green tie-dyed plastic and 4) watch where your throws land, it is relatively hard to lose a disc.

PS. At CS, I played with a guy who bought a brand new disc on the way from #9 to #10, then promptly threw it into the pond trying to cross 300' or so to the green. I tried to sympathize, and he said "Yeah, I can never reach that green." :confused: :confused: :doh:

Maybe some people like to lose discs?

i don't lose them very often. it's been several months now, i think.

(knocking on wood while typing this)....I have made it about 2 weeks!....played a particulary windy day and just let go of the disc poorly and it was gone..right into the pond....before that...I was working on a few months.

I tend to play courses with water. There are three water holes on my home course. I have lost 12 discs in 2011 alone.

I lose maybe 1/yr on the course, I usually lose them by leaving them in the field after practicing.

I lost count, I think I'm at about a dozen this year that I've lost, maybe more. The last one was a week ago, so I'm on a pretty good streak.

I lose the most of mine by leaving them behind. I.e. taking my partners throw and not grabbing mine. Mostly I just leave them behind that's how I lose the most. What's most upsetting about that is my info was inked on them, and you would think if it's sitting there in the fairway I'm probably still here. No returns :(

I rarely lose discs when playing any of the courses around here, but I've lost 30+ over the last few years traveling and playing new courses. When you don't know the course and how discs tend to bounce, it's a lot easier to lose track of them. On a road trip where we're playing a bunch of new courses, I don't want to spend more than 15-20 minutes of the daylight looking for a disc either.

I rarely lose discs when playing any of the courses around here, but I've lost 30+ over the last few years traveling and playing new courses. When you don't know the course and how discs tend to bounce, it's a lot easier to lose track of them. On a road trip where we're playing a bunch of new courses, I don't want to spend more than 15-20 minutes of the daylight looking for a disc either.

^This. (change years to months, about a year ago today I started this craziness)
I swear the one I threw last week in Peoria went through a wormhole, no other explanation.

None since the December snow.

Plus, lately I have been focusing on my mids and putters, so it simplifies finding them. :)

Over a year for me. Moving away from a course that has a ton of water has really help out it this department.

Lost my first disc yesterday on my first throw of the day. Shot was going straight to where I wanted it, but then it hit a wall of wind and did a 90 degree turn straight into the lake.

Latest posts