• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Most disappointing new disc of 2019

The only 2019 release I've thrown is the Rift and it's pretty solid. Nice, seasoned Buzzz flight out of the box.

Outside of that, I didn't feel the need to buy overpriced test runs/protos with certain pros names on them.

I picked up a Discraft Anax at a tournament. I thought with a glide of 6 that the disc would glide forever. I was wrong. I'm not saying that I'm disappointed in it, I'm still throwing it from time to time, but definitely wasn't what I thought it was going to be. With time I'm sure I'll get that glide of 6.

I picked up a Discraft Anax at a tournament. I thought with a glide of 6 that the disc would glide forever. I was wrong. I'm not saying that I'm disappointed in it, I'm still throwing it from time to time, but definitely wasn't what I thought it was going to be. With time I'm sure I'll get that glide of 6.

Yeah, it's more like a 4 fresh. They hold a nice line, but I'll stick with my Stag for that distance.

Love the look of the 1060 ANAX, but the outer rim is sharp. . .the Vulture feels much better in my hand, and the CryZtal is close to "ANAX stable"

I wasn't really disappointed in any DISCS per se - but the plastics. I love the Luna, and the proto was sweet - but the other blends (which are ok) aren't soft enough for colder temps and the protos and rock hard and I only want to use them in warm weather so I'm switching putters around this winter. Not a horrible thing, just hope discraft makes better putter plastic soon - pro D is garb.

ESP Anax is rock hard as well, I miss softer ESP. (not flex just a softer esp for colder temps)

overall it was a good 2019. Added a few things to the bag. I really like my set-up / options for the most part for every condition. So its a stretch to complain that new discs don't have enough plastic options - they're still new.

I wasn't really disappointed in any DISCS per se - but the plastics. I love the Luna, and the proto was sweet - but the other blends (which are ok) aren't soft enough for colder temps and the protos and rock hard and I only want to use them in warm weather so I'm switching putters around this winter. Not a horrible thing, just hope discraft makes better putter plastic soon - pro D is garb.

ESP Anax is rock hard as well, I miss softer ESP. (not flex just a softer esp for colder temps)

overall it was a good 2019. Added a few things to the bag. I really like my set-up / options for the most part for every condition. So its a stretch to complain that new discs don't have enough plastic options - they're still new.

I would LOVE a Luna in the Rubber Blend Plastic i have in my Buzzz. .feels like a softer version of the Proto Luna

Yeah in the meantime I'm sticking with my Saint Pro for that slot.

St.Pro is a solid disc. Don't blame you at all, and with both the St.Pro and Stag the 5/6 glide is real.

Love the look of the 1060 ANAX, but the outer rim is sharp. . .the Vulture feels much better in my hand, and the CryZtal is close to "ANAX stable"

I agree, I first was getting into the Vulture, but some of the EPS's were actually kinda flippy I liked the Big Z version, but not many color options. Then I tried the Anax which is nice but that rim is so sharp feeling, and the plastics are all too solid/sharp ----feel I prefer Vulture - flight actually prefer the Anax

I had one in the bag in winter but I couldn't do it, too rigid/sharp/slick. I hope they release a new run and hope they are in a nicer feeling plastic.
thought I will say the ones I used in summer after getting some work in they feel a lot better, so the plastic is durable and takes a long time to beat in, but once its worked in it will feel and fly great. But, I ain'y got time like that haha, I don't play THAT much.

I thought the Raptor was pretty disappointing. Doesn't fight the wind as well as a new predator, doesn't have the distance potential of an anax or vulture, and doesn't have the controllable straight flight of an undertaker. Kind of a weird disc to slot in, at least for me. I could see how someone could set their bag up for it but it just didn't click for me.

Didn't try out a ton of new discs this year, just a few older molds or revisited a few I used to throw.

Last edited:
I find the Anax to be quite glidey for the type of disc. More glide than most PDs I have tried, and has as much as most Thunderbirds I have thrown while being consistently more OS. I also agree a glide of 6 for an OS discs seems gimmicky but it does have great glide for what it is.

As for the thread, I am not sure I tried enough 2019 discs to have an opinion. This year was a good example of a year falling back on my old favorites.

The only 2019 release I've thrown is the Rift and it's pretty solid. Nice, seasoned Buzzz flight out of the box.

Outside of that, I didn't feel the need to buy overpriced test runs/protos with certain pros names on them.

I have to amend this...I threw the Gote and also liked it. Solid, stable, do-it-all kind of mid.

I didn't really throw anything disappointing...I guess I avoided that by not purchasing over-priced, over-hyped plastic that I don't need.

The Pyro is not the worst disc I got all year, but the worst new release. "Meh" is the perfect description of this disc as it does nothing well but nothing horrible either.
  • Its not OS enough to be a utility disc or to stand up against hard winds.
  • It does not have the glide to be in the straight to fade mid slot.
  • It does not have enough fade(different than OS) to bend around corners.
  • It's too short to be a driving mid but too long to be a true approach disc.

The only use I can see for it is a forehand player whom wants the disc to go straight and die out of the air like I would use the Entropy for in my backhand game.

I can throw it, but there are so many more discs that does what it is attempting but so much better.

Last edited:
The Pyro is not the worst disc I got all year, but the worst new release. "Meh" is the perfect description of this disc as it does nothing well but nothing horrible either.
  • Its not OS enough to be a utility disc or to stand up against hard winds.
  • It does not have the glide to be in the straight to fade mid slot.
  • It does not have enough fade(different than OS) to bend around corners.
  • It's too short to be a driving mid but too long to be a true approach disc.

The only use I can see for it is a forehand player whom wants the disc to go straight and die out of the air like I would use the Entropy for in my backhand game.

I can throw it, but there are so many more discs that does what it is attempting but so much better.

OK, I'll resurrect this thread because I actually tried an Axiom Pyro (Proton plastic). Weight unknown. Definitely 170+.

I flat out didn't like it, mainly for the reasons listed above. The Pyro is a flat topped mid with an utterly bizarre looking (and feeling) rim.

It glides terribly, doesn't penetrate at all, and kept ending up well short of where I wanted it. Somewhat similar flight to the Malta, but the Malta went way further. Now, I'm not expecting massive distance out of a mid, but the Pyro is almost laughably short. It starts fading as soon as you release it, and falls out of the air like a rock.

I'd go as far as to say the Pyro is one of the worst mids I've ever thrown. Super glideless, overstable, with a sudden, dumpy fade.

There are WAAYYYY better overstable mid options out there.

I'm going to avoid the original question entirely & answer back with my favorite new discoveries of the past year. Prodigy 300 soft plastic & the Millennium EXP-X.

I'm using the 300 soft with my Pa1's for putting. They feel great but I'm not sure yet how much they'll soften up in the summer. The Millennium EXP-X has been around for a little while now & it's taken the role that my Resistors held. I wish they were flatter & I've had a hard time finding max weights.

OK, I'll resurrect this thread because I actually tried an Axiom Pyro (Proton plastic). Weight unknown. Definitely 170+.

I flat out didn't like it, mainly for the reasons listed above. The Pyro is a flat topped mid with an utterly bizarre looking (and feeling) rim.

It glides terribly, doesn't penetrate at all, and kept ending up well short of where I wanted it. Somewhat similar flight to the Malta, but the Malta went way further. Now, I'm not expecting massive distance out of a mid, but the Pyro is almost laughably short. It starts fading as soon as you release it, and falls out of the air like a rock.

I'd go as far as to say the Pyro is one of the worst mids I've ever thrown. Super glideless, overstable, with a sudden, dumpy fade.

There are WAAYYYY better overstable mid options out there.

I like the Pyro, but it seems like the less stable Prism Plasma version is the only one that is really worth throwing. It's got a touch more glide that lets it be a straight to fade mid, although not as long as some.

What do I know though, many discs I throw well don't seem to work for anyone else.

Apparently I don't try enough new discs. I just perused the PDGA disc list, and these are the only molds that I've tried with an approval date of 2018 or later:

2020 - none.
2019 - Raider. Made the bag for a season before I realized I don't have the arm for it.
2018 - Maiden. This was a gift disc so I didn't even pick it out or buy it myself. I liked it, but not as much as any of the putters already in my bag.

So a total of 2 new molds tried from the past three years. Neither were really clunkers, but neither are in the bag either.

Pyro

I like the Pyro, but it seems like the less stable Prism Plasma version is the only one that is really worth throwing. It's got a touch more glide that lets it be a straight to fade mid, although not as long as some.

What do I know though, many discs I throw well don't seem to work for anyone else.

I might need to give the thing another chance, but I didn't click with it at all on the course today. The Pyro was just awkwardly dumpy and short. I probably threw it 8 times, and not one of them was what I'd consider a good shot.

Weather was cold today. I might be able to handle this thing better in warmer temps.

It was about 35 when I got to the course today.

I might need to give the thing another chance, but I didn't click with it at all on the course today. The Pyro was just awkwardly dumpy and short. I probably threw it 8 times, and not one of them was what I'd consider a good shot.

Weather was cold today. I might be able to handle this thing better in warmer temps.

It was about 35 when I got to the course today.

After we talked Pyro I was like, "maybe the Pyro isn't actually that good and I am remembering it wrong"

Took it to the field and threw it with the Runway and Deflector... I guess I just really like the Pyro. It had the best glide of the three, wasn't turning too much in the moderate wind like the runway and held lines FH better than the Deflector, though it doesn't fade quite as much. It did fight out of a steep anhyzer better though.

After we talked Pyro I was like, "maybe the Pyro isn't actually that good and I am remembering it wrong"

Took it to the field and threw it with the Runway and Deflector... I guess I just really like the Pyro. It had the best glide of the three, wasn't turning too much in the moderate wind like the runway and held lines FH better than the Deflector, though it doesn't fade quite as much. It did fight out of a steep anhyzer better though.

The plaz pyro was a mold I was kicking around trying out this year. I need something a bit more OS than my matrix, but I don't want a total meathook. I power down a resistor for uberbeef midrange shots.

Latest posts