• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Inexplicable Throw

2020 Music City open. I was the spotter on this hole and witnessed Reid Frescura go off left early on a Par 4. The spot he's in is absolute jail. He proceeds to throw a patent pending roller than goes over and down the hill to park the hole. Fortunately it was caught on camera. It is by far the most insane golf shot I've ever witnessed. I couldn't even imagine trying to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuLgG5ESxbM

I wouldn't describe that as jail, but an impressive roller nonetheless

Well I should clarify it's "jail" for me hahaha. I could maybe save par from there but no way I'd ever think birdie would be in play. The fairway is so much more narrow than it looks on camera.

Well I should clarify it's "jail" for me hahaha. I could maybe save par from there but no way I'd ever think birdie would be in play. The fairway is so much more narrow than it looks on camera.

i know that hole and the filmed perspective doesn't do the difficulty justice at all. i have only thrown a tee shot once that got to the top of the initial rise to where i had an unobstructed view to the narrow second part of the fairway. but at that point you still can't reference how far down the tunnel you have to go before hanging a sharp left back up the slope for a poke at it. everyone i know plays it for a 4 and are thrilled when they get it. at this point in my disc golfing i would probably be thrilled with anything less than a 6.:D

I think it's cool that Reid is well known for not one, but two crazy shots that stand out in everybody's mind.

One time he was at one of our unsanctioned triple-dubs events in town where the winner basically had to birdie 22/24 holes, one of those kinds of events. He was doing young adult-type talk with some other young adults nearby, which included the phrase "suck my balls!" He then turned around and saw me with my then-5th grade son and his friend. Immediately, he shifted course, apologized, and gave each one of the boys a Disc. Fun moment all around. It was one of the first Discs my son could bomb, too.

Simon Lizotte in the 2017 GBO, Jones East hole #9 par 4. It's a big L shaped fairway with OB on both sides the whole way and over 700' of distance when you play it as the L shape. Simon threw across the L and parked the drive for the eagle. I was there in person and watched the disc fly over my head. Every single person in the area watching had the same look of absolute amazement. You can find the throw on Central Coast if anyone is interested in digging it up.

Simon Lizotte in the 2017 GBO, Jones East hole #9 par 4. It's a big L shaped fairway with OB on both sides the whole way and over 700' of distance when you play it as the L shape. Simon threw across the L and parked the drive for the eagle. I was there in person and watched the disc fly over my head. Every single person in the area watching had the same look of absolute amazement. You can find the throw on Central Coast if anyone is interested in digging it up.

Hole #9 is around the 24:30 mark. Hard to tell how far it was but it looked like a bomb!

The most inexplicable I have witnessed first hand was the 2007 High Plains Challenge Final 9. Watching Mike Randolf, Cale Leviska, Jay Reading and Jeff Layland. Randolf won, though Cale got him back at worlds that year when they finished 3rd, 4th.

The shot however was hole 2 (now normal hole 1) which was in the normal position. It plays along side a barbed wire fence on the right. The two smaller trees weren't there in 07 and the tee was quite a bit longer.
6817957e_m.jpg

Just under park it line was a RHBH flex shot, but a big FH or Anny can maybe get you a circles edge look. Reading took the aggressive route, which may be the route he needed to reach the pin. His flex turned over too much and was heading OB. I was up near the basket watching when his disc caught a barb on the fence did two complete spins with the barb on the inside of the rim and flung him to a ~15' putt. Definitely seen some odd ones, but that one has always stuck in my mind.

The talk of grenades over in the WACO Tomahawk thread got me thinking of a time one backfired gloriously.

05009527.jpg

This is hole 7 at Vienna Park in Temperance, MI. The basket played to its long position, about 300'. At top right corner you can see three tree trunks. Basket is on level ground, in line with the middle tree trunk.

The round in question, a weekly doubles scramble, was played in around 15-25 degree F temperatures with winds in excess of 20 mph constant. The ground was coated in the sort of snow you get the day after temperatures are sunshiny and right around 32 (freezing/melting point). That is to say: with a slick icy crust on top. The wind was pushing directly in our faces, and I didn't think that I could get a forehand to push 300' before it got lifted and pushed back. So I decided to go with a grenade that would roll all the way over and fade to the right into the pin.

Out of the hand I didn't get the disc on enough angle, and instead of fading to the right it went out about 250-275 feet and then dropped down at around a 45 degree angle. When it hit the ground, with a high amount of backspin, it went through the snow the maybe inch or two to the ground and bounced back up.... when it bounced it landed on edge still spinning atop the slick icy surface. And the wind grabbed it.

Over the next 20-30 seconds we watched as it slowly rolled/skidded toward us. And then past us. Finally coming to a rest about 30' behind us.

Needless to say, we took my teammates shot.

By far the most inexplicable shot I've seen was a tallpaul thumber at Idlewild that went wide of target, hit a pond at almost a 90 degree angle vertically, somehow flipped upside down right as it hit, so that it actually skipped about 10-15' horizontally at another 90 degree angle, right onto the edge of the land, under the basket. :eek:

Blew my mind, as I was spotting it and had a full view. Never saw anything like it before or since!!

I saw a buddy throw a shot on hole 2 a Cedar Hills in Raleigh a few years ago that was not thrown as a roller but.... As the disc landed, it got up on its edge and started rolling downhill towards the basket. It hit and then rolled up an 8" diameter tree about 2- 2 1/2', bounced backward (uphill) hit another smaller tree, rolled down that tree and then rolled another 30-40' towards the basket.

This weekend at West Park, a buddy I've been playing with who picked up disc golf last October dropped a forehand into the basket from 100'. He's only recently been adding the forehand into his game I might add. The air went out of the card, and the two next attempts got big putted.

By far the most inexplicable shot I've seen was a tallpaul thumber at Idlewild that went wide of target, hit a pond at almost a 90 degree angle vertically, somehow flipped upside down right as it hit, so that it actually skipped about 10-15' horizontally at another 90 degree angle, right onto the edge of the land, under the basket. :eek:

Blew my mind, as I was spotting it and had a full view. Never saw anything like it before or since!!
The most inexplicable shot I've seen was you splitting the pulley ropes at Four Lakes. :p The thing looked like one rope until you slid that Comet between them.

Latest posts