• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Irritating Question People Ask While Playing

This is what a noob is to me:
A noob is someone who throws a speed 12 driver and when it only goes 200 feet they go out and buy a speed 13 to get more distance. (Done that.)
A noob often still curls their arm like a frisbee and throws high.
A noob does not know the difference between hyzer and anhyzer (Didn't know that in the beginning.)
A noob is still unfamiliar with the rules and common courtesies of disc golf.
A noob will throw a groove.(I threw one for a month or so and then wrote "If you find this disc, keep it, I f****** hate it" and then Huk'd it into the woods on a hole.)

I feel like it took me about a year to learn most of the noobish stuff.

Last edited:
I feel like it took me about a year to learn most of the noobish stuff.

You got off easy. I played for nearly two years before I even bothered to go onto the internet to do some research. I was almost instantly the best of my friends, which is obviously not saying much when I say I was the best of the noobs, and therefore thought I already knew what I was doing because I could read the stability ratings on Discraft discs and always went with the discs that said Extra Long Range Driver (DX Raven).

Then I saw someone throwing Z Plastic and thought I need to get me some of that. WalMart and Scheels did not carry those plastics, so I finally went onto the internet and discovered how noobish I could be.

So you're a n00b?

No, it took me 3 years but I finally discovered the Teebird and retired the wraiths that I swore I could throw. I think playing close to 100 courses helps me barely squeak out of noob status.

A noob buys discs based on mold first, color second, never looking at weight.
A noob buys discs at Disc's Sporting goods.
A noob has never used used a putter from the tee pad.
A noob asks "I found a disc, should I keep it"

Last edited:
No, it took me 3 years but I finally discovered the Teebird and retired the wraiths that I swore I could throw. I think playing close to 100 courses helps me barely squeak out of noob status.

This ain't horseshoes, n00b.

- Another n00b

A noob buys discs based on mold first, color second, never looking at weight.
A noob buys discs at Disc's Sporting goods

So you pick weight first?

"I don't care what it is as long as it's 175 because I ain't no sissy."

Mold first, then weight. a good color is a bonus.
When I was new I bought everything orange and blue and ended up having 15 discs that were orange and all too heavy for me, plus I did not know how bad orange was to throw in the fall.
The only 175's I have are the ones I bought when I was a noob and my putters.

Last edited:
How about the "can i have a drink of your water" guy or the bugspray question? I live in Houston and I cant imagine how anyone could go out to play without water. Last summer I was taking something like 80oz of water everyday and would still be conserving by the end of two rounds. I started bringing an extra bottle for the dude that never had any but made him pick up a bunch of trash before I would let him have it.

Come to lum park in Brainerd, MN.

For every one disc golfer there are 15 frolf punks. And these frolf punks are of the worst order you've ever seen. Before I started playing, a guy that won the annual Lum tourney was putting with distance drivers. Yea... It's bad man.

Sounds like the locals at Leverich Park in Vancouver, WA right across the river from me in Portland, OR.

They play the same small 12 hole course everyday 3-4 rounds a day, more on league night. They all have 15+ disc bags, chock-full of drivers with maybe 1 mid and 1 putter.

Most of them shoot super inflated scores of -6 to -8 or so (My personal best on the same course is a -4 and I'm no slouch), but when they get out to Pier Park, Milo, or Horning's(All 18 hole Pro level courses) they're lucky to muster +10.

"I just don't understand why they left those trees right in the middle of the way. They should cut those down. It just doesn't make sense to me. Whoever designed this hole doesn't know anything about disc golf." etc.
"How did your putter go farther than my katana?"
"I wish they would come out with a speed 15 disc."

I also find it irritating when club members tell me "You know what you guys should do......." whether its in design, maintenance or whatever. We are all in the club so who is the YOU being referred to....Oh ya....the 6-8 guys who run all the tourny's, do all the maintenance and run all the leagues.

I wish club members would step up a bit more

Its even worse when Joe Public is offering design tips but has never gave a cent to the club who does all the work.

I usually tell them how to join and I would be more than happy to discuss design with them afterwards

Mold first, then weight. a good color is a bonus.
When I was new I bought everything orange and blue and ended up having 15 discs that were orange and all too heavy for me, plus I did not know how bad orange was to throw in the fall.
The only 175's I have are the ones I bought when I was a noob and my putters.

Um...color makes a difference in stability......n00b!!

I can usually tolerate most dumb questions, or laugh them off anyways...

These would make up the "top 5"...
5. Why don't you drive this hole sidearm? (I never drive sidearm outside of 200', due to shoulder pain)
4. You must have alot of aces, huh? (If you're asking, you must have none)
3. Can I bum a _____? (Does anyone not come prepared?)
2. What driver was that? (95% chance it was a Wraith)
and the number one most annoying question on the course...
1. Why would they put the basket/tee/bench/etc. there?(to PISS YOU OFF!)

Are you sure you got a 3?

Yeah dude, I am sure. I count and recount on every hole and I do not lie about my strokes. Just because you took a six, doesn't mean the hole was that hard for everyone.

At my local courses, most people only throw Innova.

So the most annoying questions are almost always about me throwing Rattlers.

"Why do you throw that crap?"
"Why don't you get a real putter?"
"Is that disc even legal?"

Wouldn't be annoying if it didn't happen as often as it does.

I don't take as much crap for Comets, people just ask me why I don't throw a roc instead. I say, "Look I have a roc right here in my bag. When I need to I will throw it."

I also find it irritating when club members tell me "You know what you guys should do......." whether its in design, maintenance or whatever. We are all in the club so who is the YOU being referred to....Oh ya....the 6-8 guys who run all the tourny's, do all the maintenance and run all the leagues.

I wish club members would step up a bit more

Its even worse when Joe Public is offering design tips but has never gave a cent to the club who does all the work.

I usually tell them how to join and I would be more than happy to discuss design with them afterwards

See the "I am They" thread.