• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most popular discs you never tried

I've never thrown a Comet, but I'm mighty curious about it. I throw a Buzzz so I feel like that's close enough. And I mostly play at an open course, not wooded. Maybe some day I'll pull the trigger

Comet is nothing like a Buzzz.
Well, they're both round and plastic...
They have very different speed requirements and flight paths.

To the OP:
Never thrown anything DD.
Never thrown MVP, but I have a few Envies.
Haven't really tried anything that's come out in the last few years.
I've come to the conclusion that I suck.
And no disc is going to fly any better for me than any other until I learn to hit a line.
Why spend money on new plastic if I can't control the plastic I already have?
:\

Polecat, one of these days I am going to get my hands on one.

Oh the good old rollcat...I mean polecat. I got a nice lime green dx one just calling your name in the other room. You'll absolutely love it like I did for some reason years ago:doh:

A Groove.

Well played sir. I was going to say the same thing. But honestly I've somehow never thrown a yao phoenix. Only the Hu phoenix. I know, I know everyone's throw the Yao. I'm behind the times.

I actually like the Yao... and if you ever did want to try it the Phoenix is the better plastic for its flight. Dragon molds up too domey...

I am a bit of a disc junkie, so I chose to think of this in terms of discs that are very popular right now.

Otherwise, I would be saying something like, "I've never thrown a, um, ... Discraft Wildcat." To which people will respond with, "Discraft Wildcat!? That hasn't been in production for years." To which I will apologize with, "Sorry. I was having trouble finding another one."

You're in luck! The Wildcat is one of the 3 Discraft Ace Race discs this year :D

You're in luck! The Wildcat is one of the 3 Discraft Ace Race discs this year :D

:thmbup:

I look forward to trying all three of the Ace Race Classics that are coming out this year. I've thrown the Hawk in Pro D, but want to try it in premium plastic. The Wildcat and Eclipse will both be first timers for me.

It would be cool if Discraft and Innova each put out a bunch of retro molds for newer players to try.

:thmbup:

It would be cool if Discraft and Innova each put out a bunch of retro molds for newer players to try.

I've been saying for years Innova should put out a Champion Ram. The ones I threw 20 years ago were very overstable until you hit about 4 or 5 trees. I'd guess you could chop down a tree with a Champion Ram and it would still fly the same.

They did the Barracuda in Champ plastic a few years ago. Why not do the Ram?

Never thrown a Teebird, Firebird, or a Zone or any Discmania or Prodigy stuff, except for the FD, which I throw all all the time.

Zone. I tried Harps first and love them. No real need for competition in that slot, really

wouldnt that be a star firebird then just with a cool name and in champ plastic :confused:

They feel really gummy and they are generally pretty flat, but without the FAF stability. Basically they feel incredible and have that mellower Firebird flight. I don't disagree that it's similar to star Firebirds in flight but generally you need to go with a domier one in those cases. I think you can go to an FD3 or a more stable Felon too for a similar slot without the price if you're not picky.

I've never thrown a Comet, but I'm mighty curious about it. I throw a Buzzz so I feel like that's close enough. And I mostly play at an open course, not wooded. Maybe some day I'll pull the trigger

I don't disagree, but as a minimalist, if I'm going to take one mid on an open, windy course, it's going to be a Buzzz over a Comet.

You have never thrown a Comet but you already have an opinion about why you won't throw one.

Heavy Comets can be wonderful tailwind discs. If thrown clean and flat, headwinds are not an issue either. Exposing the bottom of the disc to a cross wind.... yeah, that will send it OB, that's the big danger of mixing Comets and wind.

As for a popular discs I have never thrown, other than recent Trilogy molds, the Boss is all I can think of.

Last edited:
You have never thrown a Comet but you already have an opinion about why you won't throw one.

Heavy Comets can be wonderful tailwind discs. If thrown clean and flat, headwinds are not an issue either. Exposing the bottom of the disc to a cross wind.... yeah, that will send it OB, that's the big danger of mixing Comets and wind.

As for a popular discs I have never thrown, other than recent Trilogy molds, the Boss is all I can think of.
Comet in field practice with a headwind can make for some completely impractical, but still fun and absurd hyzer flips.