• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most unpopular/uncommon disc you throw?

For me, I have used the Innova Groove my entire career. I have had it in my bag since day one, and I still use it today (something I can't say about any other disc). Even though this disc gets a bad reputation, it is the perfect thumber disc. I usually throw this disc sidearm but held upside-down (I still haven't ever played with anyone who has ever thrown this shot and it is pretty deadly accurate for me. Definately get a lot of surprised looks when I throw it in a tournament and nestle it under the pin ;)).

I forgot to mention that I throw a Stiletto and a Mamba. Don't see too many of these on the course.

When I began playing, I started with understable discs, mostly Innova. Then when I started playing more often, there was a period of time in which I was buying X-Out's at Play It Again Sports. I also had the mindset that I should have a putter that goes straight, one that fades left and one that turns right. I also felt the same way about mids, fairway and distance drivers. So I began my journey getting an overstable, but not too overstable that I couldn't throw it. A fairly neutral disc and one that broke right. What I failed to realize at the time was that with the given speed of the disc, I had to match the power required or the disc flight doesn't match the ratings. It was this time that I started to figure out the discs and throw sidearm, which eliminated a good portion of my understable discs from my bag. The only understable disc in my bag is the RoadRunner and Leopard, if given enough pop.

But during my experimental phase I've thrown the DX Wedge, Blizzard Ape, DX Skeeter, R-Pro Hydra (same flight numbers as the Original ROC), DX Archangel and Champion Starfire.

The only oddball that I throw now is the Pro SL. The first couple of times that I've given them a rip, they have gone farther than I expected.

I was upset when Innova stopped DX Panthers. Yes I am old enough to remember the DX Panter. Sweet hyzerflip disc like a DX Roc with no bead.

These days I get most "I have never seen one before" coments when I use a Blowfly.

Thanks to your efforts, the Gator had quite the renaissance. Loving seeing them, Pigs, and Polecats get some love.

I would've said Polecats, but my above statement pretty much doesn't make them as unpopular of uncommon.

I guess I would say the Flying Squirrel. They seem to be popular in used bins, and that's about it. Honorable mention to the Gauge.

:thmbup:

I don't think it's terribly uncommon but no one has mentioned it here - I bag 2 breakers. Most people have a zone or a gator in this spot but this disc just feels right in the hand. One of our local guys is sponsored by DGA so we see more of their plastic than I'd guess a lot of other places do.

Aside from that I used to love throwing Orion LS's - still haven't seen anyone else around here throw them but I think the DGR crowd used to like them as well. One of my wizards has a warlock stamp - does that count? :)

breakers pair amazingly with gators, FWIW

I LOVE the Mantis (I mostly love that people got rid of them for dirt cheap after the 2013 ace race). Good turn with a reliable fade when thrown flat. Great for big sweeping hyzer lines that don't just dive out of the sky. And I picked up so many after the ace race I dont mind losing them!

Cannon, Dagger, and Strawberry Mercy. Not all that uncommon, but I never see anyone throwing any of those three.

I read the whole thread and the only somewhat unusual disc I carry that wasn't mentioned is my Prostyle U-2 from Lightning. It's gotta be a heavy one. I think Clearwater still carries them. They're a nice, straight flying putter that collapses and drops when it hits something and rarely rolls. A great putter for tricky upshots and sloping greens.

Westside Northman is mine, a very touchy disc but when thrown with the right amount of power it does exactly what its asked. 9 out of 10 times it turns and burns, but it stays in my bag for that 10th time.

its funny to look at where some people are from and what they don't see. There are disc on here i have never heard of, however there are some on here that are pretty common in my area.

I throw predators and I think I'm one of the very, very few locally that doesn't prefer firebirds. Overall? I guess the trespass is still fairly uncommon for distance driver use, obviously not nearly as popular as wraith/destroyer/boss/nuke.

I also throw predators, love it as a thumber and forehand disc

Well, now I throw Trilogy and everyone throws that stuff so not a lot of uncommon atm.

But when my bag was more democratic - Champ Viper, Blizzard Tern, and I putted with Rattlers and a G* Aviar P&A.

Of those I dont understand why Vipers arent in everyone's bags, or why Innova isnt banging them out in every premium blend, and I think the people should re-evaluate the stigma against premium blends for putting putters where G* is concerned.

The only reason I stopped using the G* Aviar was the switch to Trilogy and since then I've found that I like shallower pucks like my Swans for my spin putt style. The G* Aviar worked great for me for long and short putts. Had enough give that it stuck landings and grabbed chains, and was durable enough that I did the unthinkable and drove with the same putter I putted with but didnt worry about failing my next putt after a tree impact. Using it that much let me develop a great touch with it that helped my putting.

I read the whole thread and the only somewhat unusual disc I carry that wasn't mentioned is my Prostyle U-2 from Lightning. It's gotta be a heavy one. I think Clearwater still carries them. They're a nice, straight flying putter that collapses and drops when it hits something and rarely rolls. A great putter for tricky upshots and sloping greens.

That's a great disc I use it for one disc rounds some.

I throw predators and I think I'm one of the very, very few locally that doesn't prefer firebirds. Overall? I guess the trespass is still fairly uncommon for distance driver use, obviously not nearly as popular as wraith/destroyer/boss/nuke.

The original mold predator and firebird were rivals until discraft nerfed the pred. Old mold predator still exists as the DGA Tsunami btw

Latest posts