• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Having just played Maple Hill, the fact that it isn't in the top 10 is beyond belief. You genuinely couldn't ask for a better discing experience.

Appropriately accommodates a wide variety of player skill levels like very few courses out there. Immaculately maintained with all the signage you could hope for. Splendid variety in shape, distance, elevation. And beautiful to boot.

Not just destination disc golf. It's bucket list disc golf. Truly sets the bar for a total discing experience. Staff and course we're truly exceptional. Worth every freakin' penny of the $18 weekend greens fee. Wicked awesome disc golf!

If someone had trouble with the the staff, or didn't enjoy the course, I have to wonder what they did to undermine such a wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Which layout(s) did you play, Bogey?

I only had time for one and chose white, which was about perfect for me. If I had more time, I would have loved to test myself against blue.

^
AjarHeartyAsiantrumpetfish-size_restricted.gif

Having just played Maple Hill, the fact that it isn't in the top 10 is beyond belief. You genuinely couldn't ask for a better discing experience.

Plus the fact that you've watched so many pro rounds at Maple Hill, Idlewild, etc. really adds to the experience when you get to play it yourself.
It's genuinely cool playing a hole thinking "this is where the pros land their drives!" or "McBeth hit a putt from here!". :clap::clap::clap:

Appropriately accommodates a wide variety of player skill levels like very few courses out there. Immaculately maintained with all the signage you could hope for. Splendid variety in shape, distance, elevation. And beautiful to boot.

Not just destination disc golf. It's bucket list disc golf. Truly sets the bar for a total discing experience. Staff and course we're truly exceptional. Worth every freakin' penny of the $18 weekend greens fee. Wicked awesome disc golf!

If someone had trouble with the the staff, or didn't enjoy the course, I have to wonder what they did to undermine such a wonderful experience.

Uh, it's at # 11? Maybe you could review it and bump it into the top 10 where it belongs? Tell you what, if you review it, I'll finally post my review of it as well.

It looks a lot more fun than BRP :)

Well said. I'd give it a 5 for sure, which I've only given to three other courses. But it's already been reviewed literally 100 times, so.... :eek:

Which layout(s) did you play, Bogey?

I only had time for one and chose white, which was about perfect for me. If I had more time, I would have loved to test myself against blue.

Both of us are noodle arms, so mostly reds with a few whites.

But since no one was playing immediately behind us, we often played "provisional" shots to quite a few of the blue/gold pin placements (where convenient), just for fun. :)

Recommend hitting Kosta's for breakfast en route to the course. :)

It looks a lot more fun than BRP :)
I can't knock BRP, but I enjoyed Maple Hill more in pretty much every way I can think of. Same for my son. Said he thinks Maple Hill/Harmony Bends is a toss-up.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if Faylor Lake cracks the top 10 at some point. Much more suited to players well beyond my meager skill set, but truly an awesome course.

Sig hole from the longs if a 1000ft Top of the World shot with 125 ft elevation drop. View from that tee is breathtaking. Made my knees buckle just standing there.

Biggest issue is a couple of walks between holes are downright scary/dangerous.* Others are VERY long, but they avoided filler holes.

Every hole brings it from the longs. Most of the shorts tees still bring it, but about 5-6 of the short tees were underwhelming. This course will break in nicely as it gets played more.

* As one reviewer mentioned, a sturdy rope line secured with solid wood posts would be a good idea on #'s 6 and #9.

I played both Selah courses on Friday. I was very disappointed on how bad a shape they were in. i paid a $25 dollar greens fee and the grass was shin high in the fairway. The grounds were not wet and the grounds other than on the course itself, were fantastic. Big downed branches were in a few fairways and none of the trees in the fairways were trimmed around the base. Carts are now $50 by the way. If these type of conditions continue, they dont belong in the top 25 or even top 100 for that matter. even in prime conditions, i question if i would have given either course a 4.5. I think Houck's designed Hobbs and IDGC Jackson are far superior than to this pair.

Was glad to see your review of Lakeside today and thought it was spot on. I have tryed to get to Selah and the Trey Ranch every winter over the last 7 years and have made it 5 times. A few things I would like to add is that the new owner of Selah is not totally to blame. The previous owner Dave, who knows nothing about disc golf, never made any improvements over the last seven years and it shows. Also the construction disrupting the Lakeside course is going to be Dave's new house.

I believe the biggest problem with Selah is Frank the grounds keeper who was hired by Dave and has continued on with the new owner Mike. He has no interest in disc golf and I have come to believe hates disc golfers. He is only there to collect a pay check.

I have been happy to see Selah drop in the rankings hoping it might get someones attention and we might see some improvements going forward.

Was glad to see your review of Lakeside today and thought it was spot on. I have tryed to get to Selah and the Trey Ranch every winter over the last 7 years and have made it 5 times. A few things I would like to add is that the new owner of Selah is not totally to blame. The previous owner Dave, who knows nothing about disc golf, never made any improvements over the last seven years and it shows. Also the construction disrupting the Lakeside course is going to be Dave's new house.

I believe the biggest problem with Selah is Frank the grounds keeper who was hired by Dave and has continued on with the new owner Mike. He has no interest in disc golf and I have come to believe hates disc golfers. He is only there to collect a pay check.

I have been happy to see Selah drop in the rankings hoping it might get someones attention and we might see some improvements going forward.

Write a review for it. More 4.0 ratings will help readjust its ranking.

Thanks you for the info and insight. I went back and tweaked a couple lines in the review.

Write a review for it. More 4.0 ratings will help readjust its ranking.

How bout I give it a 0.0 that might stir things up. In all seriousness I would rate it just as Wellsbranch250 did on both courses. However if I saw the love put into the courses like I've seen up north at courses like Token Creek, Burchfield Park, or Bryant Lake I could see solid 4.5s or higher. Like Wellsbranch250 pointed out in his review people have different tastes and i like Lakeside but i love Creekside.

PS: The real gem of Texas is just down the road... Trey Ranch. Though the courses are not tightly manicured they are always playable and have shown improvements every year I have gone. Last year Nov i went a few weeks after they had a tournament and the courses where spectacular... Best I have seen. OF the two hundred courses I have played the Texas Twist is my top pick for my favorite. However I saw for sale signs on the Trey Deuce property... I'm sure I will get my heart broken but hope not.

I've never gotten to play the Selah courses, but I did get to play Circle-R a bunch back in the day (Wimberly, TX) and I remember hearing after they sadly closed it, something to the effect of, "It's okay; they're building an even better John Houck course (which would become Selah) in Texas that will make it alright."

Now that Selah is deteriorating, what's the top destination course in the nation? I suppose these days there are several. In that 20 to 25 years ago era, I had DeLa and Circle-R under my belt and thought I was a master Disc Golf explorer. IDGC was probably my best visit in the last 10 to 15 years.

I've never gotten to play the Selah courses, but I did get to play Circle-R a bunch back in the day (Wimberly, TX) and I remember hearing after they sadly closed it, something to the effect of, "It's okay; they're building an even better John Houck course (which would become Selah) in Texas that will make it alright."

Now that Selah is deteriorating, what's the top destination course in the nation? I suppose these days there are several. In that 20 to 25 years ago era, I had DeLa and Circle-R under my belt and thought I was a master Disc Golf explorer. IDGC was probably my best visit in the last 10 to 15 years.

Highbridge, Lemon Lake, IDGC? Destinations, perhaps not destination course though.

Another 4/5 review for Selah Ranch Lakeside courtesy of Wellsbranch. Looks like it will retain it's current standing at 4th place, .03 ahead of Rollin Ridge and .05 ahead of Idlewild.

this is what happens when a previously well maintained private course kind of lets itself go while still charging regular prices. Since John designed the 2 courses at selah,he has designed a few more with better terrain available than Selah. So even though lakeside might be on its way out of the top 10, John still has more that are in or are going to be in the top 10:popcorn:
So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock.

this ... Since John designed the 2 courses at selah,he has designed a few more with better terrain available than Selah. So even though lakeside might be on its way out of the top 10, John still has more that are in or are going to be in the top 10:popcorn:

Thanks, Trey. Yes, I do believe that Agape, Mammoth Cave, Tomah Shinga, and a few we haven't announced yet are all going to be top-tier courses.

But everyone needs to keep hope (and prayers) alive for Selah. There still may be a solution.

we have a top destinations button on the top courses section. so it depends on your definition of "destination course"

Latest posts