• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving from Disc Golf Heaven to Mariposa, CA...

PerpetualNewbie

Birdie Member
Since discovering this sport last year I've been in heaven as I'm less than an hour from both Emporia and Kansas City and have four awesome local courses (3 18- and 1 9-hole) within 20 minutes or less of me right now.

My wife works for the NPS and got a great job at Yosemite. She's moving in about 5 weeks and I'll follow her out after the house sells. It's likely we'll be in Mariposa, at least to start out, and the prospects for courses looks somewhat bleak:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php?mode=map&szip=95338

While I'm looking forward to the new scenery and opportunities (provided I'm not incinerated by a rouge fire-tornado!), I'm definitely bummed that the number of casual rounds I can play is going to be more limited, and most of the closest courses seem to only be 9 holes*.

By any chance is anyone from the area or close by, and could you give me the scoop on which courses I should put on my must-play list and would make good candidates for a "home course"?

*Yes, of course I'm already thinking that I want to try and get a course put in locally once I get there, but that certainly won't be a short or easy process...

I grew up a little north of there up Highway 4. There were no course there until a few years ago. The California foothills and mountains are adding lots of courses. Find some like minded people and work on getting a new course in the ground. If you look up a group called Highway 4 disc golf they could tell you the process that they went through. They start with tone poles because they are affordable and add baskets when they can. It is a good way to get a course in right when permission is given.

Trust me you could be going to a much worse place. In my limited experience playing in CA, they go for quality courses not quantity. Granted I don't know much about the area but California has got to be better than Kansas.

Lucky guy

Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on this planet, especially in winter when the crowds thin out and it snows. If you like hiking in the mountains, it does not get better than the sierras.

Mariposa is up in the sierra foothills, just above the central valley and Merced, the central valley has an extremely well organized and active disc golf community.

You need to go play Mooney Grove in Visalia, they actually have 2 courses in a very large city park, and they host the A tier End of the Trail Classic every labor day weekend, and it always sells out really fast, people come from near and far to play in that event year after year.

And hope you like the heat, the central valley and sierra foothills are really warm most of the year.

And you are in striking distance of Lake Tahoe, another incredibly beautiful area with about 1,000 disc golf courses, or it seems like that many as they put a new one in every 6 months Try driving thru Yosemite on Tioga Road/120, up 395 on the CA-Nevada border, up and over the Monitor Pass, play Turtle Rock in Markleville, then continue up into south tahoe and play Bijou, Tahoe Vista, Truckee, Sierra College, Squaw Valley, Incline, Zephyr Cove.....

Central California disc golf opportunities

I'm actually about sixty miles from you in the middle of the Valley along highway 99 in Livingston. The fortunate thing is that amongst the nines Hensley and Cody Minter are both fun experiences, in my opinion. The 18 at Woodward in Fresno could be worse, the Visalia courses as mentioned are good, as is the course near Kings River. Have a good trip west.

Check out Sierra Pines in Twain Harte. Looks like just over an hour away. It's fun, but not super challenging. You will be about 2 hours and 15 minutes from China Peak, which is supposed to be great. I couldn't make it there last year due to a big fire in Yosemite, but I will be there as soon as it opens this June. Unfortunately, it's only open on the weekends in the summer and it's a $15 chair ride to get to hole 1. If it makes you feel better, I have a 2 hour drive to my home course, Turtle Rock. Good thing it kicks ass.

...If you look up a group called Highway 4 disc golf they could tell you the process that they went through. They start with tone poles because they are affordable and add baskets when they can. It is a good way to get a course in right when permission is given.

Looks like they're just a Facebook group/organization, and I don't do social media...thanks for the info though!

Trust me you could be going to a much worse place. In my limited experience playing in CA, they go for quality courses not quantity. Granted I don't know much about the area but California has got to be better than Kansas.

You'd be surprised at both the number and quality of courses in KS and MO...Waterworks, Blue Valley, Cliff Drive, Longview, Birdland, Jones East, etc. ... all quality courses.

I'm sure the CA courses will be great too, I'm definitely roadtripping to try De La and will be checking out a lot of the other courses being recommended in this thread.

Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on this planet, especially in winter when the crowds thin out and it snows. If you like hiking in the mountains, it does not get better than the sierras.

Rocky Mountain National Park will always be my first love, and Grand Tetons are awesome as well... never done the Sierras but I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT in a couple years and will be doing lots of section hikes and backpacking trips to prepare.

Mariposa is up in the sierra foothills, just above the central valley and Merced, the central valley has an extremely well organized and active disc golf community.

Good to know! Is there an active club with a web site I could check out?

You need to go play Mooney Grove in Visalia, they actually have 2 courses in a very large city park, and they host the A tier End of the Trail Classic every labor day weekend, and it always sells out really fast, people come from near and far to play in that event year after year.

Ahh, cool...looks like CCDG did video of last years final 9, will be checking it out shortly!

And hope you like the heat, the central valley and sierra foothills are really warm most of the year.

I'll be at almost the same latitude I'm at now, just 1000' higher elevation... temps will be similar but with a lot less humidity...

And you are in striking distance of Lake Tahoe, another incredibly beautiful area with about 1,000 disc golf courses, or it seems like that many as they put a new one in every 6 months Try driving thru Yosemite on Tioga Road/120, up 395 on the CA-Nevada border, up and over the Monitor Pass, play Turtle Rock in Markleville, then continue up into south tahoe and play Bijou, Tahoe Vista, Truckee, Sierra College, Squaw Valley, Incline, Zephyr Cove.....

Sounds like an awesome trip, will be adding these courses to my wish list for sure!

I'm actually about sixty miles from you in the middle of the Valley along highway 99 in Livingston. The fortunate thing is that amongst the nines Hensley and Cody Minter are both fun experiences, in my opinion. The 18 at Woodward in Fresno could be worse, the Visalia courses as mentioned are good, as is the course near Kings River. Have a good trip west.

Check out Sierra Pines in Twain Harte. Looks like just over an hour away. It's fun, but not super challenging. You will be about 2 hours and 15 minutes from China Peak, which is supposed to be great. I couldn't make it there last year due to a big fire in Yosemite, but I will be there as soon as it opens this June. Unfortunately, it's only open on the weekends in the summer and it's a $15 chair ride to get to hole 1. If it makes you feel better, I have a 2 hour drive to my home course, Turtle Rock. Good thing it kicks ass.

Thanks for the info guys! Looking forward to getting out there!

Check out Sierra Pines in Twain Harte. Looks like just over an hour away. It's fun, but not super challenging.

The one course on the list that I've played is Sierra Pines. My wife and I both enjoyed it. I would love to play it again. It is pretty, fun, and the slough that runs over and through the course gives it great character.

Of those that others have mentioned, I have played Zephyr Cove in Tahoe. Definitely worth a day trip when you throw in the swimming.

Yes, China Peak is truly amazing.

27 holes, 12,962 feet, par 94. It appears to be the longest course in the western US or at least California.

Plays technical due to elevation (starts at 8500 feet) and slope (mostly downhill), even on holes with very wide fairways. Takes 5-6 hours to play. Many fantastic holes, but most people find #11 the most spectacular: a 1050-foot par 4 straight down a ski run, only plays about 375 on a perfect line.

Course opens June 28 this year. Please do review it if you play it.

Last edited:
Well, you are only about a 6-7 hour drive from the top rated course in CA, Birds Of Paradise. And having played both Water Works in KC and BOP, I would say that BOP is the better course hands down. I know this doesn't quite make up for having a top quality course in your back yard, but the area you are moving into has a lot of potential for a great course to go in. I guess you will just have to start making some friends when you move out here.

Disc golf scene in Mariposa is nonexistent, but opportunities abound. Hit me up when you get close, and I'll show you the courses in Raymond. (About 30 to 45 min. depending on where in Mariposa you land. My parents live in Mariposa, and I would love to grow support for a course there. I will soon be approaching a group about putting in a course in Ahwahnee (30 mins or so from Mariposa). Feel free to pm me for information disc golf or other as I know the area really well.

Latest posts