• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

moving in approx 1 year

trice15

Hi guys, I plan to move out of MN next year sometime winter or spring I belive depending on job line ups and such. Disc golf is my favorite thing to do in nice weather and I want to make sure where I look has a quality disc golf community, and close enough courses. I am in the IT field, so a medium or large sized city for sure, or close to one. (1hr) . Preferably have a NHL team too. What kind of medium to large cities have good courses and disc golf community? ? Thanks for any posts!!

Minneapolis looks to be for you. You have the Wild in St. Paul, and if you click here and locate and click on Minneapolis, the city disappears in baskets.

Haha I know Minnesota has a lot... but I want to move out of Minnesota. XD what des Charlotte have for courses close by, and community like?

Dallas Texas is great for IT and disc golf. We have the stars for hockey though. Not many folks in Texas care about hockey.

Do your leg work on the courses section of this website. Charlotte has a huge number of fantastic courses. I'm fairly new to the area, but so far I've been beyond impressed with the availability and quality of courses.

As for the local scene, I'm not involved nor have I met any club members yet so I can't weigh in.

As for the city/surrounding area, theres a TON of cool stuff to do around here. It's (so far) been a great place

I know some Stars fans. Technically DFW tops the rankings from some random ranking thing that was put together from this site. We have around 70 courses and at least 10 of them are very fun. And you can play all year long. Winter is actually the best time to play here. We have a lot of IT here as well. I have a friend who works for a big tech company, I think it's Yahoo. Either way, lots of choices here. The one drawback is the housing market. We've been looking to buy a house for a year. Houses stay on the market on average one day.

Denver. Aside from the great mountain courses, the overall awesomeness of Colorado is off the charts. Too much to do, not enough time. The DG scene is just a huge bonus, plus they have every major sporting team you can hope for....

what des Charlotte have for courses close by, and community like?

Charlotte is the best disc golf city in the world. So many top courses to choose from. Disc golf heaven my friend. Make a weekend out of it to scout it out. I recommend courses there called Nevin, Hornet's Nest & Renaissance Park to start.

Raleigh - not Chatlotte, but pretty decent DG, and less then 3 hours from Charlotte (easy weekend trip). Relatively uncontested. Year round disc golf. Carolina Hurricaines, year round outside tailgating.

I dunno where Greenville ranks in medium to large cities (like if it even qualifies dunno) but there's plenty of disc golf in Upstate SC, Charlotte and Atlanta aren't too far away, and, while not an NHL team, they do have the Greenville Road Warriors for hockey.

santa cruz, ca or monterey, ca. both are on the coast with year round playing and great temperatures at all times of the year. a stones throw from san jose... go sharks. not to mention... delaveaga.

How much does climate matter? Just warmer than MN, or snow-free?

How many courses do you need? Will a handful of good courses suit, or do you need dozens?

Already mentioned here, but Charlotte and Dallas-Ft. Worth are always near the top in number of quality courses, and have pretty mild winters.

But if NHL is important, you might start with a list of NHL cities, strike off the ones in the climate you don't want, and research the courses in what remains. I suspect a lot of them have a disc golf scene that's reasonably good.

Year-round golf here on the west side of Puget Sound without freezing your a$$ off. Lots of IT opportunities here or an easy commute to Seattle. I'm a big hockey fan myself (Go Islanders!) but people around here don't know or care jack about hockey, even the Canucks, who are just a few hours up the 5 from Seattle. Just sign up for NHL Center Ice.There is a minor league team in Seattle, the Thunderbirds.
We rarely get snow, and winter temps average around mid 40's for the high. We've got a good club, and plenty of good courses. And it's only 3 hours to Portland.

Nashville? I know they have a growing scene. Are the Predators still a thing?

Nashville has a handful of really good courses with multiple pin placements that get changed often. There are 3 or 4 Bag Tag Clubs and weekly doubles and glow rounds 3-4 days a week. It's starting to get a little crowded, so the area could use a few more courses. The Rumble at Ravenwood was a chance to showcase the sport to the mayor, so hopefully it inspires a few more courses. Also, Bowling Green is an hour away, Holler in the Hills is 1.5, and Huntsville and Chattanooga are less than 2.

Healthcare is the big IT employer in the area with HCA, CHS, Healthspring, etc.

And the Preds are THE thing in the NHL. Pekka and Forsberg are doing things. Attendance is solid, but without a lot of sellouts, there are a bunch of great deals on seats, like $50 lower bowl. It only sucks when they play Chicago and Bridgestone is like 30% Blackhawks fans.

Portland. Nike, Intel, H/P, dot.com startups, any number of techie jobs.

KC also looks good.

And there's always RB's Clown College in Sarasota, though the good courses are a bit spread out. :D :p