• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

moving in approx 1 year

I would suggest Raleigh/Durham, NC or Northern Virginia. The disc golf scene here in VA isn't a great as NC but it's not bad, and there are lots of IT jobs here.

I would suggest Raleigh/Durham, NC or Northern Virginia. The disc golf scene here in VA isn't a great as NC but it's not bad, and there are lots of IT jobs here.

I forgot to mention the Washington Capitols are based here. Great regular season team and no one chokes in the playoffs like the Capitols choke. :clap:

San Jose seems to fit the bill. Good IT jobs, thriving disc golf scene with plenty of terrific courses around San Jose/San Fran (bunch of cool private courses, as well), decent year round weather and the Sharks right in town.

Just a warning: Don't move to Portland without finding a job first.
Otherwise, I'm a big PNW advocate.

In NC - Charlotte has better disc golf and plenty of IT jobs through the banks, but Raleigh will have more technology/IT jobs. Only played once, but I really liked the course in Chapel Hill (next to Raleigh).

Year-round golf here on the west side of Puget Sound without freezing your a$$ off. Lots of IT opportunities here or an easy commute to Seattle. I'm a big hockey fan myself (Go Islanders!) but people around here don't know or care jack about hockey, even the Canucks, who are just a few hours up the 5 from Seattle. Just sign up for NHL Center Ice.There is a minor league team in Seattle, the Thunderbirds.
We rarely get snow, and winter temps average around mid 40's for the high. We've got a good club, and plenty of good courses. And it's only 3 hours to Portland.

I'm not sure where it stands but we MIGHT get an NHL team here if all the politics work out. We might have an NBA team again too, for that matter, IF things work out.

We definitely have tech jobs here, Amazon and MS being the biggies, but plenty of other smaller ones. We have a couple decent courses in Seattle, but are limited by available land and disjointed community. West Sound is the place to be for disc golf, for sure--all the courses are good to great and the community seems active. The commute to Seattle would involve a ferry, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but can get pricey and waits can be long especially if you're driving (public transit or motorcycle are the way to go).

I would say California, pretty much anywhere between San Jose and Sacramento and westward to the coast. Lots of courses and a ton of variety between them. The DG community is strong enough that pretty much every course has it's own club. The summer heat can be brutal, but "snow" is more of a destination than a weather issue.

A suburb of Detroit, Michigan.....Lot's of courses......Red Wings hockey (original 6 team)......you're already used to the same winter environment....Several disc golf clubs

I would say California, pretty much anywhere between San Jose and Sacramento and westward to the coast. Lots of courses and a ton of variety between them. The DG community is strong enough that pretty much every course has it's own club. The summer heat can be brutal, but "snow" is more of a destination than a weather issue.

I dig the Bay Area, but I don't see it as a strong DG destination. There's a course in San Francisco, and one in San Jose (apparently it's 2 9 holers now?), and not much else noteworthy. There are places worth visiting like Santa Cruz or Stafford, but they're more like weekend excursions. Also, while I think San Francisco is one of the greatest cities in the world, San Jose feels like the yin to SF's yang.

I dig the Bay Area, but I don't see it as a strong DG destination. There's a course in San Francisco, and one in San Jose (apparently it's 2 9 holers now?), and not much else noteworthy. There are places worth visiting like Santa Cruz or Stafford, but they're more like weekend excursions. Also, while I think San Francisco is one of the greatest cities in the world, San Jose feels like the yin to SF's yang.

Agree. Northern California is great for Disc Golf, but it is spread out. I'm happy to have 4 public courses within 30 minutes of Santa Cruz that are pretty nice: Delaveaga, Pinto Lake, Black Mouse and Aptos High School.

If I want to spend an hour driving I can go to Monterey and do Ryan Ranch and CSMBU, which are also great courses with lots of support.

If I want to make the trek to SF (1.5-2 hours depending on traffic), I can go to the incredibly crowded Golden Gate course (they really need another course there, but this is liberal, NIMBY CA we are talking about, so good luck, see Mclaren park episodes).

If I want to drive to 4-5 hours to Tahoe there are great courses there, and nearby the path to Tahoe: near Sacramento, Navato (Stafford), Skyline, Grass Valley, etc. So there is a lot here, but it isn't just outside your door like it would be in Carolina, Dallas/FW, Austin, and all the places people quote in this thread.

Florida Gulf Coast

I wish I wasn't moving to the atlantic coast for Florida to relocate for a job. What we have going here on the Gulf Coast:
- Awesome courses (though flat) all over, including a recently installed Ken Climo gem known as Cypress Point (Par 66), Cliff Stephens (25 holes of pure glory with lots of water and alligators), Picnic Island will soon be 18 (where else can you go where the water hazard is the Gulf of Mexico on 1, soon to be 2 holes), and a few other really good ones within a 90 minute drive in the Orlando area (Turkey Lake, Barnett, Debary (soon to have 2 18 hole tracks, currently has 1))
- If you are a tourney player, there are back to back A-Tiers this March, courses within two hours of each other (Taylor Park, Ocala Greenway, both great courses just not as good as the ones mentioned above. Ocala has some elevation, which is rare for this part of Florida)
- Awesome hockey team (GO BOLTS!) battling for Eastern Conference supremacy
- As for IT, I apologize I am an auto claim rep. I do not know how that goes, but would imagine these jobs are out here. Tampa is on the rise.
- If you like craft beer, amazing craft breweries are popping up left and right since Florida has finally decided to come out of the dark ages with their liquor laws
- Disc golf all year around
- Outside events both family and non-family oriented pretty much 365 days a year, many of which are free or on the cheap

I put in another vote for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. There are a lot of good clubs in the area, including my former club, the Bull City Disc Club, that does really great things for the courses and scene in Durham. The weather is really nice, you can play year round like in TX but you rarely have to deal with temperatures above 95 (spring weather in TX). I think NC is great for actually experiencing all four seasons. The IT scene is good in RDU, cost of living is not too high, and quality of life is high. Plus only about 3 hours from the mountains or the ocean. My goal is to get back there eventually. On the downside, you will probably eventually run into MTL. :|

I'd recommend Austin. Although there are traffic jams from hell, you won't find a funkier place to live. "Keep Austin weird" is the city motto. Being a major college town, the party never ends. The South by Southwest Music Festival every year, if you're into live music, is the place to be. IT jobs are the main industry in Austin. Year around disc golf on a wide variety of courses. You can get everything from wooded holes to desert courses within an hours drive.

The only reason I don't live there is my wife. If you're single, move there now. You'll never want to leave.

There's no hockey, but you can drive to Dallas in three hours for a game, stay the night and play some courses in DFW.

Last edited:
I put in another vote for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. There are a lot of good clubs in the area, including my former club, the Bull City Disc Club, that does really great things for the courses and scene in Durham. The weather is really nice, you can play year round like in TX but you rarely have to deal with temperatures above 95 (spring weather in TX). I think NC is great for actually experiencing all four seasons. The IT scene is good in RDU, cost of living is not too high, and quality of life is high. Plus only about 3 hours from the mountains or the ocean. My goal is to get back there eventually. On the downside, you will probably eventually run into MTL. :|

Agree on all points except that I have only ran into mtl casually on the course twice, if you don't play his tourneys and dont play in tourneys he plays in it's a non issue.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the Triad of NC. The DG scene here is kinda small but the courses are pretty nice. It is in the center of NC (2 hrs from Raleigh, 1 hour from Charlotte). Greensboro is also becoming the micro brew capital of NC (and NC is becoming the micro brew capital of the south or maybe even the US). If you are in IT you can find work anywhere. It's a thought.

Charlotte is the default answer for NC. I've seriously considered jobs in that area just for the DG scene but I also have a family to feed so my decisions get skewed away from hobbies. If you are young and single shoot for the stars. Charlotte is also a lot of fun. No NHL though but you can go to a Canes game if you feel like driving. Tickets are probably pretty cheap now that they're at the bottom (or somewhere close).

Greenville SC is another good option. Lots of booming industry down there (mostly automotive) and the DG scene is really nice. No pro sports other than minor league baseball.

oh yeah forgot about the checkers. I haven't kept up with hockey for several years now.

All the replies have been really helpful, looking into areas around portland, NC (Raleigh or charlotte area) as well as Colorado areas. Most likely will depend on job opportunities I am offered as well. Those three areas seem to have the most courses as well as a mix of high quality ones. California areas sound awesome but the drives to courses look brutal. I am used to being able to drive 15-20 minutes to most courses around me. Someone asked earlier what type of IT work - Cisco Networking - Routing Switching.