• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

moving in approx 1 year

The good thing about the Carolinas is that you have year long DG.....we've had some colder than normal temperatures(for us), but from where you are it, it's nothing. It will take a bit for you to get used to the heat/humidity during the summers, but being younger, it won't be bad. As far as hockey, it's NOT very popular down south, however, there are minor league teams if you HAVE to go see it live, if not, you can always get Direct TV (Satellite) and get the NHL package, and see whatever you like, wherever you choose to live. I moved from Florida up to the Carolinas nearly 20 years ago and have never looked back. I was not in to DG at that point, but have always been into outdoor activities. The greatest thing I like around this area.....people are much more friendly than where I came from, the climate is usually really good, and you are a day trip (or just hours, depending on where you are) from either the mountains, or the beaches. Charlotte, by far is the DG mecca in the area, and it's about 1-1.5 hours from where I am, the Upstate in SC is becoming much more popular, and is getting more courses in, with a fantastic club that always has activities. Asheville NC is also becoming a REALLY hot area to live, not sure about the IT jobs, but has a LOT to do, a great DG club with activities, a great climate, and not far from either Charlotte, or Greenville SC.

Cisco you say? We've got a large Cisco facility in the Research Triangle Park here in Raleigh/Durham. Citrix just opened a new building and the HQ of Red Hat. Plus, Fidelity recently moved here and MetLife is moving their US HQ here. Just search RTP for more.
You want hockey? The Hurricanes call Raleigh home.
The DG is good here and getting better, a new course last year, another almost finished and a third to be done this year. The ONLY John Houck course in NC! Charlotte is a long day trip or great weekend trip for all their courses.
Plus great courses at the beach (Castle Hayne and Glenburnie) 2 hrs away, and the mountains (Richmond Hill and Ashe County) are 3-4 hrs away.

Another question for those of you in those areas of Texas, North Carolina, and Colorado areas.

What kind of wildlife is in these areas? Both things I should know about, maybe be cautious about, or that are awesome to see? I enjoy wildlife but obviously in Minnesota, we do not see anything other than the occasional deer and raccoon.... Would like to know what to expect on the courses as well as around my home, beaches, mountains, hiking, whatever.

Wildlife and the plants in Texas are extremely varied, from the interesting to the feared. If you have a snake phobia or don't like plants with sharp spines, Texas is not the place for you. That said, you'll probably see the most volume of wildlife here. It does help to have a local "show you the ropes". For example, you never sit down outside without looking for ants first. It's part of it. With the bad, is a whole lot of good. If you're into complaining, Texas isn't for you.

Colorado has some deadly wildlife but I wouldn't let that be a factor. Pretty much anytime or anywhere you play DG you have to be aware of your surroundings. Whether it's poison ivy or cactus, or mountain lions or Bigfoot. I like where I live but it's not for everybody. I also snowboard a lot.

Another question for those of you in those areas of Texas, North Carolina, and Colorado areas.

What kind of wildlife is in these areas? Both things I should know about, maybe be cautious about, or that are awesome to see? I enjoy wildlife but obviously in Minnesota, we do not see anything other than the occasional deer and raccoon.... Would like to know what to expect on the courses as well as around my home, beaches, mountains, hiking, whatever.

I live out in the countryside in South Carolina, about as wildlife-friendly as it can be. I've seen very little to fear. We have poisonous snakes, but it's been at least 10 years since I've seen one. We have fire ants, which are quite a nuisance, and black widow spiders. If you go to the mountains there are black bears; along the coast (which is not Raleigh or Charlotte) there are alligators. Not a lot to be concerned about. By far the major animal threat is domestic dogs, improperly trained and restrained---but I'm sure that's true anywhere.

Here in Charlotte, the only poisonous snake you'll see is the copperhead, and its pretty rare to see one. The only other potentially dangerous fauna would be the growing numbers of coyotes. Although I've yet to see any on any courses, I have seen quite a few in our neighborhood in the middle of South Charlotte. Which makes me wonder if the Sauls have seen any down at Stoney Hill. They are relatively new here, only arriving in the last ten or so years. Other than plenty of deer and raccoons, we also have foxes and quite a decent population of owls, which you'll hear, but not likely see.

the most "dangerous" thing in the triangle is poison ivy and ticks. :thmbup:

It wouldn't suit your NHL need, although the Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins and Predators are all within 6 hours, we do have the Cyclones which are a pretty good ECHL team (2-1 in 3 Kelly Cup appearances in the last 7 yrs) and we have a really good disc golf scene with great variety from which to choose. Tight and wooded, open and windy and courses with both, not to mention Idlewild (#1 public, #6 overall and #1 favorited course) and Lincoln Ridge (#12 favorited) and Mt. Airy (#17 favorited and an awesome Pro Shop). Plenty of great events and singles/doubles every night of the week in the summer (Only 2 doubles events I know of that go all year). Plenty of other courses from beginner to advanced and Disc N Dat is another great pro shop. Plenty of day trip or weekend trips available with Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and Dayton all within 1-3 hours depending on which part of town you live. Paint Creek, Pike Lake and Rocky Fork would make a great dg/fishing/camping weekend if you are into that kind of thing and are within 1-2 hours in south central ohio. IDK about the IT scene though.

Last edited:
Here in Charlotte, the only poisonous snake you'll see is the copperhead, and its pretty rare to see one. The only other potentially dangerous fauna would be the growing numbers of coyotes. Although I've yet to see any on any courses, I have seen quite a few in our neighborhood in the middle of South Charlotte. Which makes me wonder if the Sauls have seen any down at Stoney Hill. They are relatively new here, only arriving in the last ten or so years. Other than plenty of deer and raccoons, we also have foxes and quite a decent population of owls, which you'll hear, but not likely see.

We certainly have coyotes, but I've only seen one, many years ago. Others around us have seen them a few times. It's almost impossible to find any reliable accounts of anyone be injured by coyotes---they're pretty reclusive. Pretty tough on outdoor cats, though.

I'm just a few miles from Stoney Hill as well, and I have heard the coyotes here at my place as well, but in the 15 years that I've lived here, I have yet to see one. Of all the years playing Disc Golf here in the Carolinas, I cannot recall of anyone being gotten by animals, other than, like David said, dogs. I've seen snakes on the course, but not often, and when I do, it's usually the "good kind"....rat, king, garter, black, etc.... Yeah, they will startle, and scare the crap out of you, but are not a threat. I have managed to see some incredible sights, hawks that captured prey, owls, had a hummingbird attracted to a yellow ball cap that I wore and literally circled my head, had a squirrel fall on a friend because it lost it's balance, and a year or so back had a flock of chickens on a fairway. Never anything that really scared me or threatened me. The biggest "fear" that you will have to worry with in our area (Carolinas) is ticks, and poison ivy, and if you get off the fairways in some areas, briars. Also, during the summer months, you will need to get used to the heat and humidity, and make sure to drink PLENTY of liquids (water, powerade). Other than that, I think you would enjoy the Carolinas.

I haven't lived in NC since 2010, but when I did the ticks were BAD. As others have said, we have more pointy plants in TX, and mesquite thorns can get pretty huge. There are also a lot of snakes around here, but I don't consider snakes very dangerous, as pretty much no one gets bitten by a snake that wasn't messing with it or gardening. I would take the TX snakes and thorns over the NC ticks in a heartbeat, but the tick problem is one of the few bad things I have to say about NC.

Yeah, I forgot the ticks. Bad some summers, hardly seen in others. The ones we see are nuisances; the ones carrying disease are the ones too small to notice. But rare enough to not worry about. Of course, we have mosquitoes, but so does Minnesota.

And my latest terror, snapping turtles in the pond I swim in. But I believe they live a lot of places, too.

All the replies have been really helpful, looking into areas around portland, NC (Raleigh or charlotte area) as well as Colorado areas. Most likely will depend on job opportunities I am offered as well. Those three areas seem to have the most courses as well as a mix of high quality ones. California areas sound awesome but the drives to courses look brutal. I am used to being able to drive 15-20 minutes to most courses around me. Someone asked earlier what type of IT work - Cisco Networking - Routing Switching.

Sup fellow networking professional! I vote Denver area for job. Yes, the courses in the metro area are a bit lackluster, but you really don't have to drive that far to play some really great courses. We have a serious lack of good network engineers in Colorado. If you are thinking of Colorado and are looking for work, shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Haha I know Minnesota has a lot... but I want to move out of Minnesota. XD what des Charlotte have for courses close by, and community like?

Charlotte:

We have 140 courses within 75 miles and two of the top visited courses in the world. Still have 3 seasons of weather, average temperature is probably 15 degrees above yours and we play DG year round. Cost of living is lower, traffic is ok, and you can get to any one of 60 courses in under 30 minutes from city center. (19 - 4ish star rated courses in those 60) We have 10-15 weekly leagues (handicap, sanctioned, doubles, glow, womens) including another 4 or 5 in surrounding cities and a full compliment of PDGA and charity events throughout the year.

Plus you can't beat southern women.

Charlotte:

We have 140 courses within 75 miles and two of the top visited courses in the world. Still have 3 seasons of weather, average temperature is probably 15 degrees above yours and we play DG year round. Cost of living is lower, traffic is ok, and you can get to any one of 60 courses in under 30 minutes from city center. (19 - 4ish star rated courses in those 60) We have 10-15 weekly leagues (handicap, sanctioned, doubles, glow, womens) including another 4 or 5 in surrounding cities and a full compliment of PDGA and charity events throughout the year.

Plus you can't beat southern women.

You really shouldn't beat any women. Or, did you men southern women are better than anyone at disc golf?