• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

music and disc golf

Justifiable homicide? really? I will say music can be annoying for sure especially if you do not like the music being played. but deal with it. It is not going away. I am not for it or against it. I feel it has its place if done properly and respectful to others on the course.

Even if I LOVEEE the song I overhear from 6 holes back, it's equally as distracting as if it were Justin Bieber. It doesn't matter whether I hate or love the song/artist, it's the fact that it takes my attention from the throw I'm about to perform.

EDIT: (Coming from someone who listens to anything from John Coltrane to Bad Religion to Big L to [my avatar] Deadmau5. Love alllll sorts of music, still ****s my day up.)

When I'm more than 5' feet away from your bag, I don't hear the music, true. What I hear is a caucophony of unintelligible sound and noise that sounds like music to someone who is within 5'.

+1

I have not found a pair of earbuds that stay in my ears while playing...unless you take them out to throw.

. . . Having said all of that, if I am ever able to find a pair of earbuds that does not hurt my ears & stays in for more than 2 minutes, I will certainly spend the money. :thmbup:

. . . If you just want a new set of buds I would try a midline model from Skullcandy. They are about twenty bucks and come with three sets of various size ear pieces to custom fit.

I was just about to link all of you to these (if you wanna go $20 check the others on their site):

Skullcandy Titans - awesome earbuds for $50...I've owned two pairs since they came out and the first set only broke due to my dumb ass...I'd still have 'em if I didn't [unintentionally] fornicate on top of them lol

Skullcandy Fix In-Ear - never used these, but they're now the top of the line earbuds from the company. When I bought both pairs of the Titans they were at the time the nicest ones, so I can only assume these are worthy as well.

Last edited:
jasonc;1642965Don't worry about the grumpy old men that have been posting in this thread. Sooner rather than later said:
By that time, you may be a grumpy old man yourself!

My mini is always in my left back pocket and my cell phone with pandora radio (either Tool radio, bob marley radio or waka flocka flame radio) is always in my right back pocket. Everyone I play with knows this and is cool with it.

I always have the phone in my pocket but I won't listen to music during a tag or tourny round out of respect for others.

I will ask anyone that brings music with speakers to turn it off or please use headphones or ear buds. The fact that anyone thinks it is OK to play their music out loud in a random group baffles me.

I've actually had a guy ask, i said, "i'd prefer if you didn't", and then he got all ****ty the whole round, really made normally enjoyable league golf not fun.

Now, if you are out with your buddies for a casual round, go for it. The chances of you being around me when i'm throwing is pretty slim in a casual round. If it bothers me, i'll kindly wait for you to finish your throw and get out of earshot, and then continue my game, not a big deal. I do that with groups that are big and having fun being loud, not a big deal, it's a public park on those days.

I guess, with all the different styles of ear buds these days, the fact that people won't find a set that works so they can enjoy their music is foreign to me. Music is extremely important to me, i would die without it, but the chances of me playing music you like, or you playing music i like (at least enough to up my level of play and not bring it down) is VERY slim. When i want the music in my round, I like specific music, which helps my focus, keeps my thoughts off any errors I've made, and maintains my confidence. So i use ear buds. Pretty dang easy. I have about 5-6 pairs of ear buds, all for different things (Running, hi-fi listening, in-ear stage monitors, casual listening at work, disc golf) that all have different levels of outside blocking, quality, etc.

And the comment about, if noise screws you up, then you need to work on your focus. Partially valid. But, then why do they ask at tournaments for quiet? Why is it in the rules not to make noise while another player is throwing (other than FORE)? Normal occurrences and natural noises are one thing to block out. It's much tougher to block out talking, walking in my line of sight, music playing that i don't like (or can barely hear, or is too loud).

sorry this is long, haven't had my Coke to start the morning.

I don't listen to music when I golf (not even when I'm on the range - I want to hear everything). Same for DG.

I don't care if other people listen to music, but I don't want to hear it, either.

I was just about to link all of you to these (if you wanna go $20 check the others on their site):

Skullcandy Titans - awesome earbuds for $50...I've owned two pairs since they came out and the first set only broke due to my dumb ass...I'd still have 'em if I didn't [unintentionally] fornicate on top of them lol

Skullcandy Fix In-Ear - never used these, but they're now the top of the line earbuds from the company. When I bought both pairs of the Titans they were at the time the nicest ones, so I can only assume these are worthy as well.

Yeah I love the set of titans I have. I got a pair with a sweet zip up carrying case I can attach to a bag or keychain. Never without my buds. :D

Having said all of that, if I am ever able to find a pair of earbuds that does not hurt my ears & stays in for more than 2 minutes, I will certainly spend the money. :thmbup:

i use THESE and have never had a problem with them falling out or hurting my ears once i put the correct gel piece on the ends...

I don't listen to music when I golf (not even when I'm on the range - I want to hear everything). Same for DG.

I don't care if other people listen to music, but I don't want to hear it, either.

:clap: Couldn't agree more.

[thread hijack]I feel the same way about smoking.[/thread hijack]

The only music I want to hear on a course is the sweet sound of plastic hitting chains.

And while were on the subject, I must state that there are a lot of DG videos on Youtube that are ruined by dubbing in gratuitous music.

Latest posts