• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Must play course in Kentucky?

Thunder94

Bogey Member
Wife and I are headed to Kentucky in a few weeks for our first anniversary. Going to mammoth caves and some other randomness.
She is not into discing as much as I am so I am looking for an 18 hole course that is scenic and fun.
I also don't know what day of the week or time of day we will get to play so would also like if you recommend me a course, to let me know if they have leagues there, and what day they are on so we won't be in their way.
Thank you!

What area/city are you going to be around?

Depending how far north you go, I recommend Idlewild. It's a hard course that teaches humility.

It looks like the Goat Path won't be open, but you'll be twenty miles from Bowling Green where there are a wealth of courses in the area.

I played Armco in Ashland and it was nice. I want to get back to Blue.

Idlewild & Harmon Hills are both close enough that you ought to look into them...

Mammoth Cave is a skip, hop and a jump from Bowling Green. A wonderful place to play a handful of very good courses and party. Don't skip a visit to the Mellow Mushroom. Moore, Miller, Franklin, Hobson, Southern KY, Lovers Lane.......

Idlewild is a beautiful course in a beautiful park, but it's a long walk up and down hills and terrain. Great course to play, but if your wife is not into hiking, it might not be fun for her.
Also takes several hours (3+) to play, so there's a time commitment.
Great course to bag, but you have to consider the little lady.

While I'm not local to the area, I've been down that way several times. Taking the liberty of looking at your age, experience, and favorited courses, I'd recommend Hobson Grove in Bowling Green. The course is hilly, wooded & fun, and if the Missus isn't into the hike, the civil war era house there is a museum. Looks like they play doubles at that course on Saturdays, but nobody has a tournament mentioned until September.
Of course, if the Goat Path were open, it's even closer to Mammoth Cave...

Your closest bet with a lot of course options is Bowling Green. I've only played Lover's Lane in town, which is more fun than scenic. Obviously if you have the whole state to work with, Cincy has the top rated courses with Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge (I haven't played either :\) Mahr Park about 100 minutes west of mammoth cave, is a wicked 10,000 beast with elevation changes approaching 100 feet. I loved it and its my favorite in the state thus far. dont go here if you don't like constant elevation change. there are no flat holes on the course.

Wife and I are headed to Kentucky in a few weeks for our first anniversary. Going to mammoth caves and some other randomness.
She is not into discing as much as I am so I am looking for an 18 hole course that is scenic and fun.
I also don't know what day of the week or time of day we will get to play so would also like if you recommend me a course, to let me know if they have leagues there, and what day they are on so we won't be in their way.
Thank you!

If you're going to Mammoth Cave, Bowling Green is right around the corner with its insane amount of courses. However, there's nothing really noteworthy around there, just a ton of 3.0-3.5 courses. I agree with Sisyphus that Hobson Grove is the best combo of scenic and fun. Keiriakus (sp?) is probably the best around. It's in a nice park but usually pretty busy with walkers.

If you're coming from MI, you might be coming down I65. I think Freeman Lake is your best bet that's close to your route. It's a great blend of park style with good elevation and water shots. In Louisville, you have a strong one in Charlie Vettiner (A-tier on the 28th-29th so it will be looking good!).

If you're coming through on I71, then yes Idlewild must be at the top of the list and it's looking better than ever right now. If you're short on time, play the DGPT 18 hole format and you won't be disappointed. Wendell Moore is on I71 near Louisville. It's currently my favorite local course. It's an impeccably maintained open course that I think fits the scenic/fun factor well.

If you're going to Mammoth Caves from southwest Michigan, you probably won't be going through Cincy (that's the long way) so Idlewild/Lincoln Ridge are out. Isn't Harmon Hills in eastern TN? So that would be out too. I personally think the BG courses are overrated and generally kind of blah. I would look on this site for a 4 or better rated course between Louisville and Mammoth Caves.

Charlie Vettner in Louisville and also Seviren Lang just across the river in Indiana are worth a stop. As you head south into Elizabethtown you might want to hit Freeman Lake.

Mahr Park - Champ course in Madisonville is a must play and scenic and fun, not a lot of punishing rough. Lots of epic shots playing some big elevation and couple ponds in play. Nice walking paths on the back nine, but I digress about that. There's also the Rec course on site that's also pretty, and Madisonville City park down the road is the intermediate level course.

Idlewild would be another vote for must play and scenic, although it's much tougher/tighter with more rough and not as fun as Mahr unless you are a masochist.

Last edited:
That Madisonville City Park course is a blast! Peeled away from a family reunion a few years back just to play it and I was glad I did. Not super challenging, but very fun round.

Wolf Knob is a private 9 hole (future 18) that I worked on. It is the closest course to Mammoth Cave. You will have to check in at Lincoln Trail Outfitters/Hickory Cabins Store. I am still a few weeks out from being able to cut The Goat Path, but I may have someone else work on it. I will update course conditions when I can reopen. https://www.facebook.com/wolfknobdiscgolf/

Latest posts