• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Must plays in new areas

I know you won't likely be back to the Charlotte area for a while, but whenever you do find you way up here again, I would definitely look at adding Dry Creek to your list. Was expanded/redesigned a year or so ago into a hard, but fun par 70 with a mix of open and woods. Since it's in Monroe it gets overlooked sometimes by people in Charlotte, but it shouldn't.
I'll try and check it out. I may be passing that way sometime soon even if it's just in transit.

Headed to Tampa/Orlando this week and planning to play picnic island. Maybe one more closer to Orlando if time allows.

Then on to Huntsville/Birmingham next week. Thinking Redstone and Inverness for that one.
Picnic is a fantastic play, my favorite in Tampa. In Orlando, play one of the two at Bill Frederick, probably T2.

Picnic is a fantastic play, my favorite in Tampa. In Orlando, play one of the two at Bill Frederick, probably T2.
I've played all three at Bill Fredrick(before the woods got pulled) and might try T2 again!

North Cove with 3 courses in Marion, NC (45 min east of Asheville). I played the 1st two courses last year and The Gorge (DGPT stop) recently with a golf cart. I'd consider moving there!
I've seen some footage out there and want to play it for sure! I've not been that close to that area yet but would definitely like to try them.

Headed to Tampa/Orlando this week and planning to play picnic island. Maybe one more closer to Orlando if time allows.

Then on to Huntsville/Birmingham next week. Thinking Redstone and Inverness for that one.
Orlando - Play the Green Gauntlet. Also, Alpha and Barwick make for a fun day. And Lake Hiawatha.

Green Gauntlet, Alpha and Lake Hiawatha are all designed by World Champion and all-around funny and swell guy Gregg Hosfeld.

In Savannah, play Tom Triplett. Super fun track.

While in town, go check out some of the cemeteries - Bonaventure being a popular one. It might seem weird but once you see them, you'll know why I suggested it.

In Savannah, play Tom Triplett. Super fun track.

While in town, go check out some of the cemeteries - Bonaventure being a popular one. It might seem weird but once you see them, you'll know why I suggested it.
I've played Trip, it's pretty sick. Grew up going to Savannah and I agree tab cemeteries and old squares are super cool.

Memphis
West Memphis is a college campus course, I played it year ago when it was just 9 holes. Have not played the newer 18 hole layout.

Must play Bud Hill. It's 2 courses, the OG and Ridge. While not the best courses in even Tennessee, however, it is one of the oldest P2P private courses in the country.

just north of there is Meeman-Shelby State Park, this is probably the best in the area. 2 courses East and West. Well worth the short drive.

Shelby Farms - I have not played the redesigned course. The older course was mostly open longer holes.

Sea Island Park - your typical neighborhood pitch and putt

Johnson Road park - I played the OG 9 hole course years ago. It was a fun course around a pond though the pine trees. Not sure about the newer 18 hole layout.

Veterans Golfplex - This is the one someone mentioned is behind a fence. 18 hole course on an old ball golf course. I don't think they have the ball golf part open and some of the grass was tall on the disc golf course. But it does have a little elevation and plenty of very large tree's to play though. It's not free, you have to check in and pay a park use fee. (might be cheaper or free for a vet) there is also a little ace race course in the old putting area. I didn't have a map so I didn't attempt it. That, and it was late and I had to get out as they were wanting to lock the gates for the night.

Just south of Memphis

Latimer Lakes (MS) 2 courses that are actually quite decent. These are made for tournament play and have both open and wooded holes. I played the North course recently and enjoyed my round.

Central Park - I played this one about 15 years ago and don't remember much

Memphis
West Memphis is a college campus course, I played it year ago when it was just 9 holes. Have not played the newer 18 hole layout.

Must play Bud Hill. It's 2 courses, the OG and Ridge. While not the best courses in even Tennessee, however, it is one of the oldest P2P private courses in the country.

just north of there is Meeman-Shelby State Park, this is probably the best in the area. 2 courses East and West. Well worth the short drive.

Shelby Farms - I have not played the redesigned course. The older course was mostly open longer holes.

Sea Island Park - your typical neighborhood pitch and putt

Johnson Road park - I played the OG 9 hole course years ago. It was a fun course around a pond though the pine trees. Not sure about the newer 18 hole layout.

Veterans Golfplex - This is the one someone mentioned is behind a fence. 18 hole course on an old ball golf course. I don't think they have the ball golf part open and some of the grass was tall on the disc golf course. But it does have a little elevation and plenty of very large tree's to play though. It's not free, you have to check in and pay a park use fee. (might be cheaper or free for a vet) there is also a little ace race course in the old putting area. I didn't have a map so I didn't attempt it. That, and it was late and I had to get out as they were wanting to lock the gates for the night.

Just south of Memphis

Latimer Lakes (MS) 2 courses that are actually quite decent. These are made for tournament play and have both open and wooded holes. I played the North course recently and enjoyed my round.

Central Park - I played this one about 15 years ago and don't remember much
I played Johnson RD and Central, both were pretty good but Central was very good with the new long baskets.

I'm headed back there in a few weeks and might try to play Bud Hill!

I played Johnson RD and Central, both were pretty good but Central was very good with the new long baskets.

I'm headed back there in a few weeks and might try to play Bud Hill!
Did you get in West Memphis to get an Arkansas course in?

That would be the ONLY reason I would recommend playing there. You have to drive much further in to play another course. North East Arkansas is Jonesborough, Must play there is "Disc Side of Heaven" a DGPT stop.

South East Arkansas has the new course at Lake Monticello. It's a top 10 course for Arkansas for sure, I would even say it is better than Disc Side of Heaven.

However, both would be a pretty good drive from Memphis.

when in Memphis, make sure you do some sight seeing. Graceland is very cool, Peabody Hotel to see the march of the ducks. Beale St is a great place to see some music. Bass Pro Shops in the Pyramid is well worth visiting. I would say the dog tracks in West Memphis, but they closed this last year. That is why I went to Memphis last, was to see some sights and win some money at the dog track before it closed. Oh, and the food, You got to visit Rendezvous.

Lakeland, just out of Tampa, has the very good Holloway, Hidden Oaks is also in town, but shorter and not as good.
Agree with an earlier comment, near Orlando, Green Gauntlet is very good and Alpha at River City Nature Park is the better of the two.
If you've ever walked into a library and thought, "I wish all those shelves were full of Discs", you can get that feeling at the Disc Golf Center, very close to RCNP. Shelves and shelves of discs, organized by Mfg, Mold and Plastic, I challenge anyone to walk out of there empty handed! :LOL:

Did you get in West Memphis to get an Arkansas course in?

That would be the ONLY reason I would recommend playing there. You have to drive much further in to play another course. North East Arkansas is Jonesborough, Must play there is "Disc Side of Heaven" a DGPT stop.

South East Arkansas has the new course at Lake Monticello. It's a top 10 course for Arkansas for sure, I would even say it is better than Disc Side of Heaven.

However, both would be a pretty good drive from Memphis.

when in Memphis, make sure you do some sight seeing. Graceland is very cool, Peabody Hotel to see the march of the ducks. Beale St is a great place to see some music. Bass Pro Shops in the Pyramid is well worth visiting. I would say the dog tracks in West Memphis, but they closed this last year. That is why I went to Memphis last, was to see some sights and win some money at the dog track before it closed. Oh, and the food, You got to visit Rendezvous.
I've been lucky to do most of the touristy things there and the Peabody/Graceland/Sun Records were my favorites.

I didn't make it to Arkansas yet. The one night I was free time was getting tight so I went to Johnson Rd.

Next stop is Tampa again, and may try Showman's this time.

This year has been very interesting, I came in hoping to get to around 30 new plays and am at 36 right now. 50 is possible but will take some luck.

I picked up Showman's in Tampa and North Water Tower in Sarasota this past week.

Now on to northern MS, has anyone played the course at Old Miss? May need to find a play near Tupelo as well, time permitting.

I picked up Showman's in Tampa and North Water Tower in Sarasota this past week.

Now on to northern MS, has anyone played the course at Old Miss? May need to find a play near Tupelo as well, time permitting.
I almost headed that way this week. It's too far for a 1 day trip for me, I did a 2 day trip up to Kansas/Nebraska this week. 1420 miles and 17 courses played. Left at 10pm on Tuesday night, got home at 8:15am on Friday morning.

This weeks destination is Jackson, MS and Hattiesburg.

I've played LeFluers and the Rez there before and will probably try something new. Any must plays there?

After that I'll be headed back to the Triad in NC and I've played most of them there. But haven't done Keely or Garden Grove yet. Any opinions on those?

This weeks destination is Jackson, MS and Hattiesburg.

I've played LeFluers and the Rez there before and will probably try something new. Any must plays there?

After that I'll be headed back to the Triad in NC and I've played most of them there. But haven't done Keely or Garden Grove yet. Any opinions on those?
Old Trace Park is your typical park style course, nothing special
Center City in Pearl is a must play
Flying Eagle is Raymond is another Park style course on a college campus, nothing special

Just south of Jackson, Crystal Springs is GREAT and one of the better courses I have played in MS

south of there is Lake Lincoln State Park, not a bad course, heavy wooded but a pitch and putt course.
OK, apparently someone read my review of the Robertson Park in Collins MS, it has been redesigned and expanded to 18 now. It's a Park Style course but lots of trees and even a pond to contend with. I can't wait to get back there to play it.

Atwood In Monticello MS was kind of a mess, the popular app did me little to no good, found a decent map on this web site and followed it. Park style course that had a couple of decent holes and plenty of dangerous holes.

Pearl River Landing - Columbia MS, decent course, but is mostly a Park Style setting. A few wooded holes, several wide open holes. It's not bad, but not good either.

Those are the ones I can comment on, I have not made it to Hattiesburg yet. That is on the agenda this winter.