• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

I've been throwing a hot pink 171 Amp quite a bit the last couple of weeks. It's been a pretty nice all-purpose driver for me.

I get no turn out of it, a mainly straight flight, and consistent fade. It seems to handle wind quite well too: certainly not the prototypical flippy understable driver.

It's not as long as some of my other discs, but it is very easy to control and consistent. Nice disc.

Had some great shots with my amp last night. For some reason I always seem to have low expectations, but it really comes through. It's crazy long and straight, fits my hand well and goes really easily for my 300ft of power.

Had some great shots with my amp last night. For some reason I always seem to have low expectations, but it really comes through. It's crazy long and straight, fits my hand well and goes really easily for my 300ft of power.

My experience has been the same. I generally don't consider using my amp, but the last 2 drives I've used it for have been excellent. My Amp has a nice bit of turn, but always seems to come back. It earned a spot back in my bag and I'm looking forward to beating it in.

I came an inch away from losing my trusty Amp on Wednesday. I didn't throw the anny angle correctly and it went straight instead of turning over, and hit a wall an inch from the top. It would have landed in someone's backyard. I may have gotten it back, but these days nobody answers their door, and I'm not nimble enough to climb a 6 foot wall. (Plus I don't believe in tresspassing even if I could)

I'll never throw you towards a house again, old friend.

the switch is a leopard like fairway driver, well for me anyway. I have heard some people say there switch's don't turn much, but mine is already flippylike a slightly used leopard. Have you tried the inertia yet? At your power level that would be like a longer amp.

Unfortunately I have never tried a Leopard. I have a Jackle that Ilike. I am behind on my disc wish list by quite a bit, but I definitely willbe ge tting an Inertia. The reason I asked about the switch is because it's more my speed and I know BigSky has similar power to me and likes the Amp as I do.

BigSky, are you bagging the switch as well? How do you use each if you do?

No.

My bag is: (Bold are my bread and butter)

Inertia
Amp
Shock
Resistor (very rarely throw)
N Volt
N Tangent
N Axis
N Tensor (rarely throw)
N Ion

I play most rounds just throwing my Amp and Ions. Now it's becoming more Inertia and Ions. But the Amp still has that spot for long approaches, or drives under 300'.

I'm waiting on the fliptastic-ness of the Impulse to see where it might fit in my bag. I currently don't have anything that understable. If the Impulse is not that flippy, I may artificially beat in my Switch for that slot.

The leopard is stable/slightly US speed 6 fairway driver. You will probly like the switch. It has already taken over many of the shots I use my leopards for. I don't have a huge arm but I can tune up a D4 to 420-440 range in the right conditions. I usually use the switch in the 250-290 range when I need a flip up straight shot, or a short ahny. It also works great as a dead straight tailwind driver for me in the 275-300 range. I've only thrown an amp a couple times but I think the switch should fit in nicely to your bag.

I know what the Leopard is, I've just not thrown one.

I've got:

Soft anode
fuse
axis
vector
tensor
155 servo
amp

Sometimes I throw in a firebird but never seem to find a use for it. I've got two first run volts too, but struggle to get the distance out of them.

Is the switch just too much overlap with the Amp for you BigSky? Seems like the switch ought to be more control able and maybe even fly nearly as far for lower power throwers?

When I got my Switch it didn't fly very understable for me because I was throwing all my discs a bit nose up. Now when I've adjusted my throw and I can throw my discs nose down pretty well, I can get a lot turn out of it and it definitely IS understable. I got rid of it though because in a headwind it got too flippy, and even in calm conditions I couldn't control it very well. With a flat release it turned a lot, but with hyzer release it often just kept the angle and didn't flip up when I wanted.

Is the switch just too much overlap with the Amp for you? Seems like the switch ought to be more control able and maybe even fly nearly as far for lower power throwers?

FWIW I am bagging both right now. Got a 172 ish Amp, fairly seasoned, and a pretty new 168 Switch.

I think what you're saying is probably true. I throw a bit further than BigSky I think but not a ton more. At full power I can hyzerfilp the amp well past 300. Oddly at the same power, I get the same or even a bit less turn out of the switch, but it's pretty new still.

Powered down for me, the Amp can be pretty straight where I'll still get a bit of turn, like flex shot style, from the Switch.

I think the Switch can be different discs based on weight max vs. 165ish vs. 155ish.

Didn't really answer your question. There will be a fair amount of overlap. But, if you bag a heavier Amp and a lighter Switch, you'll probably see enough difference to justify carrying both, definitely.

I have a hard time getting my amp to hold a turn all the way to the ground, it always seems to have a bit of a fade. I had a couple sweet flex shots with it last night. It was beautiful.

I am hoping a light switch will hold a turn all the way to the ground. I was thinking of bagging a heavy as well for more controlled straightshots when distance is not as important. Using the Amp for straight distance, Inertia for max straight distance, and distance annys.

yea a switch in lighter weights would probly serve you well on those turning shots. With just a bit of snap and flat or slight anhy release, it holds a nice turn for me, even up hill. The inertia you may want to get in the mid 160g's if you want it to hold the anhy line. it does have some fade on the end for lesser power throws.

There is overlap, no doubt. The Amp is longer, and a bit more stable.

I feel like the reason I don't bag both is more because of the open courses I play and not so much the discs themselves. I need D, so whatever gets me the longer throw is what I'm going to use.

If you're trying to carve lines on the woods, the Switch would definitely be a great disc to try. It's quite controllable, and easier to get the anny line from than the Amp.

There is overlap, no doubt. The Amp is longer, and a bit more stable.

I feel like the reason I don't bag both is more because of the open courses I play and not so much the discs themselves. I need D, so whatever gets me the longer throw is what I'm going to use.

If you're trying to carve lines on the woods, the Switch would definitely be a great disc to try. It's quite controllable, and easier to get the anny line from than the Amp.

That makes sense. My home course is mostly wooded and <350.

I find the Amp and Switch pretty similar in flight, and in weights around 172 when fresh, not all that understable. The Amp is a little longer and has less fade right now being more seasoned. They can both hold a turn for a while but definitely want to flex out.

In the speed 9 category I get much more predictable turn from a tournament Hatchet than the Amp. My Switch is very new and not at all seasoned so it may lose some fade quickly after a few good tree hits. Right now my new Switch flies like a heavy opto River with more fade.

I have a hard time getting my amp to hold a turn all the way to the ground, it always seems to have a bit of a fade. I had a couple sweet flex shots with it last night. It was beautiful.

I am hoping a light switch will hold a turn all the way to the ground. I was thinking of bagging a heavy as well for more controlled straightshots when distance is not as important. Using the Amp for straight distance, Inertia for max straight distance, and distance annys.

I've got a 162 and a 165 in my sale thread right now if you're interested. I found the Switch and Amp to overlap a bit at my power level, but I got much more control from the Switch. It's also sneaky long.

Latest posts