• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

I see some online retailers list the Axis as "UV Blue", and some as "Clear". Now I know the blue is very transparent, but are there indeed colorless clear ones out there, or are they really just the UV Blue?
The odds are more likely to be Ice blue just mistaken for clear. There are a small number of clears out there however.

This is my only concern with the Axis. According to the technical standards, the Axis is 2mm taller than the Buzzz (2.1cm vs 1.9cm). Did you get some forehand throws in? Would you say it's comfortable?

Taller? It seems a bit shorter, to me. I compared them side by side visually and actually used calipers to check the rim thicknesses. See post #103: Mike C did some profile pics of the Axis vs. the Vector, Roc, Comet, Buzzz, etc.

I don't FH much at all, so I wouldn't be a good judge of that. Only to get out of trouble or to reach around trees, etc.

Comfort really becomes a perception thing...too personal to really say...I'm 6-3 so my hands are bigger than average. So the extra .5mm of thickness in the Buzzz really helped me with comfort and release consistency. Some here have said it felt like a Buzzz in their hands, I think it felt more like a Roc, but I was keying in on the rim...without the round bead, it is "more comfortable"

Of course, other tall players do rather well with the Roc (some guy named Climo, I think) And Mike C looks fairly tall and is cranking the heck out of them and his putters, so maybe I just stink...;)

So it's a beadless Roc or a thinner rimmed Buzzz...it's a good disc and I will most likely invest some time into figuring it out. I spend a year on Rocs only and then a year on Buzzzs only...may do the same with the Vector/Axis.

Last edited:
I just threw my flattened axis. It was back to the awesome disc I fell in love with after pulling it out of the package. It flys perfectly stable and holds it's line perfect. it flips flat in headwinds but it doesn't kill the disc. It works really well as a long range 2nd shot approach disc on very long holes.

I know this is the Axis review conversation, but since the time I picked up both my Vector and Axis discs, I loved the MVP products! My Vector is dead accurate (for me) up to 350 and my Axis is the same, though they both fly and are used for different purposes in my bag.

I am ready for a driver from MVP!!!! I can only imagine what the rim will look like, hugging their unique plastic. Any news?

I'd love to see tow...
(1) Longer stable Axis-like
(2) Longer stable to overstable Vector-like

Dreaming...

FM

Faster, glidier buzzz? So it's a driver. :|

This is my only concern with the Axis. According to the technical standards, the Axis is 2mm taller than the Buzzz (2.1cm vs 1.9cm). Did you get some forehand throws in? Would you say it's comfortable?

First I'd like to say that the Axis is not faster than the Buzzz...It's close, like perhaps the speed of a Glo or Crystal Buzzz (which are the slowest Buzzzes). The key difference is that the Axis does not have to be thrown as hard to "work", or in other words it has a lower cruising speed.

Regarding the second quote...I'm pretty sure they measure that from the top of the dome. Since the Axis has a mild dome and the Buzzz is flat, I think that is where the difference is coming from. At the shoulder where you grip the disc the Axis feels flat like a Buzzz. It's just as comfy as the Buzzz (or maybe more since it feels more seamless with flash).

I played my first tournament yesterday with the Axis and missed my first Open win by 2 strokes...

What weight would you recommend for a 300ft thrower? I generally prefer my mids (Buzzz) to be 168-170, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on some heavies. Do you think the glide and flight characteristics of the Axis would offset the added weight, or would I be better off holding out for some lighter ones?

The glide does offset the weight somewhat, but it probably won't be AS versatile for you as a lighter one will.

What weight would you recommend for a 300ft thrower? I generally prefer my mids (Buzzz) to be 168-170, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on some heavies. Do you think the glide and flight characteristics of the Axis would offset the added weight, or would I be better off holding out for some lighter ones?

I'm around a 300' thrower on drives, not so much mids and usually carry my mids around 170, even a little under and got a 179 Axis. Mids I generally top out just over 250'.

I will say, full throw it works out well. In fact, I was a bit shocked as I was at a tight 220'-230' hole slight dog leg left this past Saturday which had water 20' behind the basket and wanted to throw the Axis so I gave it just a touch of hyzer, maybe about 10 degrees worth. I hadn't thrown it much so was just assuming what it would do. I should have used just a little more hyzer as it flattened quick and locked on straight and looked to be heading full speed for the water enough to easily make it out that far. Luckily for me it clipped a tree which shot it left and me and my doubles partner carded a 2 from that. Point is, it surprised me that I got a heavier mid to work like that and I need to evaluate it more.

Due to the heavier weight, though; I could not quite get it figured out when powering down. I am thinking the lighter weight one when it comes out will do.

^^^
That's what I meant about the heavier one not being as versatile...It will work for drives near full power, but on approaches and powered down shots it will be more stable and glide less for those with your power level.

Yes, but I will say, I would not be throwing a Buzzz or even a Core of that weight so well. I actually have never thrown Buzzzs real well at all TBH.

I'll bet when you guys do get lighter ones you will like them for different things, but still like the heavies off the tees...Especially in some wind.

Picked up a couple more from alpine (green and blue). They're both flatter than my red and a tad bit less stable. The difference isn't that much at all really. After field practice I did notice that these heavys aren't as straight powering down and a bit harder to judge distance wise than my md2. I think this is a factor of the crazy glide they have.

I played a round yesterday with just an ion and axis and the ability of the axis to hit gaps is nice, it really is point and shoot. It doesn't handle wind as well as my cmd2 when you get it up but it's ability to stay low and glide far offsets that a bit. The best thing about it is that it's lines are so smooth when driving, it holds lines off the tee all the way til the little bit of fade kicks in right before landing.

I would say that the CMD2 is more in the Vector's class in terms of fade and wind resistance.

I would call them at Disc golf center. I had to do that once and they assured me it was in the mail, and then it came 3 days later. Pretty sure they didn't ship my order until I called, like it had been forgotten or something.

Been very disappointed with DGC lately so have been using DTW and MST.

Doubt very much that is the case, they have an ordering/processing/shipping system and its the same one they use for MTG singles, but they do ship Fedex and I dont seem to get the same speed for items shipped Fedex as I do with USPS or UPS.

How would you guys recommend throwing this? i am a RHFH thrower and i know the vortex flys pretty squirrely if i throw if forehand unless im just throwing it wrong.

Haven't heard of a Vortex, apart from the basket... Anyway, throw it clean.

Latest posts